Gold in Elliott County Article

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran across this article while doing some geneology research. It may have already been posted on here but thought I'd share. Sorry it's only a screen shot. IMG_5022.PNG

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nice stuff! Interesting....' The KY Diamond mining and development Co. of Minneapolis' ??? . It perks my interest in the other article about the diamond mines too! Can you post that one as well? I seem to remember a diamond field shown on an old map in South Elliott Co. a few months back as I was searching late one evening.

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey yes I'll did it for you! There is a quote on quote "diamond mine here" but no diamonds have been found. I have been there many times. I'll find the rest of that article and post it .

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the rest of that article and another one that was on that site as well IMG_5034.PNG IMG_5033.PNG

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geodes and agates are somewhat common in KY, diamonds in AR I have heard of... I wonder what triggers a story like this to be printed?

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
yep, settling in. a lot of people during the depression tried to get good old folks to buy land salted with lead, saying it was silver mixed with lead. not long ago on this site, books were being sold saying here it is, preorder now for your copy. but no book. and so it goes. E. C. that gold story has some truth to it. I saw some gold that came from close to or in Elliott county. will find the story and post.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
:2barsgold:about 1985 found a small old book at Ashland library on geology of Elliott county. the book date was around 1900 to 1925. this geologist from Cincinnati Ohio, told of his findings along creeks around the diamond mine. I can't be sure, (but i think it was ison creek??) he found a lot of garnets, rubies, and (Saffiries)?? he tested what he had found and said the total came to around 40,000 dollars. he did say a few diamonds were found. but in the whole book, he says nothing of finding anything on land? it was all found in the creeks. was this running down from a ridge line over hundreds of years. has for the gold, when I was at the diamond mine, I was walking the path up to it when a flash of light hit my eyes and looking down, I saw a small sliver of glass and that was what I figured it was. I never saw diamonds in the rough before. it was waxy, blue green in color and shaped like a tear drop 5/8 " long. stopped at the gas station where all the treasure hunters hanged out. showed the diamond and a lady asked where I found it. when I told her, she said my farm is next to the mine. talk about strange. she said grand dad would go and search for diamonds during the depression. he also melted silver out, behind the barn. he had a place at the back end of the farm that had silver ore. when he died we cleaned out his work shop and found a small bag that had small gold nuggets in it, about 2 ounces. anyway I went there and found two old paths that were covered over with weeds. one seemed to go toward the diamond mine. the other goes along the ridge south and drops down toward the sandy river. that's all I could find on this. I remember over the years and some of you may have seen small stories in the Ashland and Huntington papers about small gold nuggets being found near the bruin boat dock and greenup boat dock. it never ends does it. so much out there, but we never find the one clue that opens the gate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread