Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: did swift have 3 groups of mines

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    1847 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    KY Hiker, Rebel - KGC and rgb1 like this.

Jun 2007
    12267 times
    WOW! GREAT info!
    KY Hiker and 1320 like this.

us
    Having the time of my life!

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    524 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I keep getting the 404 error...any ideas?...sure would like to see this.
    Rebel - KGC and KY Hiker like this.
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I keep getting the 404 error...any ideas?...sure would like to see this.
    It opens right up for me, I read it when I got home earlier. Make sure you have a PDF reader? I right click and open in new window...Thanks again 1320!
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Aug 10, 2018 at 09:10 PM.
    Rebel - KGC and 1320 like this.

Jun 2007
    12267 times
    Opened for me, too.
    franklin and KY Hiker like this.

Charter Member
    us
    rooster

Nov 2013
    s.w. Ohio
    2 whites 1 garett
    285 times
    this is realy great info guys this is what i wanted to see it helps everybody to have these discussions keep it comeing i have learned things as i hope others have thanks

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    I keep catching myself halfway down a rabbit hole, doing research on related topics. Its very easy to get overwhelmed in information or distracted by a related topic. Just the traces alone could take years to figure out. The Shawnee had their own, the Cherokee as well, seems the Delaware got down this way too. It looks like the only trace they all used was the 'warrior's path', all the side traces were used by individual hunting and war parties. Dozens of them that are not documented but became pioneer roads later.
    Rebel - KGC, rgb1, Ken S. and 1 others like this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Paintsville,Ky.
    379 times
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Yes, but would not Pigeon Water Cave be considered the Lower Mines. If so where are the Upper Mines were Swift says they went a considerable distance West of the Forks of the Big Sandy. How many forks of the Big Sandy are there? At least five I think? Most likely the Fork at Louisa, Ky.
    Here is my take on the way they thought of upper and lower in those days . Water run's down stream regardless of the direction of a compass or a sexton which would have been the tool they would have used to determine location in those days. Even though you are going south you are going up the Big Sandy or Great Sandy as it was referred to in some accounts. Depending on the amount of rain fall in any given area at the time they was passing through would have a bearing on what they would call a fork in the river. That being said I count possible 4between Louisa and Paintsville. Just My $.02 worth!!
    Last edited by Ken S.; Oct 10, 2018 at 07:34 AM.

us
    Oct 2018
    Paintsville,Ky.
    379 times
    Ky Hiker
    You said I have even wondered if upper, middle and lower could be a reference to the KY. River's three forks? or the Red River's 3 forks?
    Why do you wonder when Way Bills and Maps make reference to the Great Sandy or Big Sandy
    One of the legends I have seen made reference to an alternate route they used sometimes that stated them coming through the Kanaha river which is in the Charleston W.Va. area. and lays southeasterly toward Beckley.
    Last edited by Ken S.; Oct 10, 2018 at 07:56 AM.

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
    Ky Hiker
    You said I have even wondered if upper, middle and lower could be a reference to the KY. River's three forks? or the Red River's 3 forks?
    Why do you wonder when Way Bills and Maps make reference to the Great Sandy or Big Sandy
    One of the legends I have seen made reference to an alternate route they used sometimes that stated them coming through the Kanaha river which is in the Charleston W.Va. area. and lays southeasterly toward Beckley.
    I refer to the Red and KY rivers because they both lie 'West a considerable distance' of the 1st major fork of the Big Sandy and they both have 3 forks in them (think Turkey Foot symbol and upper middle and lower mines). Also you will notice in most journals that the Sandy is the last named landmark before they separate into 2 groups. After that there are references to 'we named that creek _____' and 'we came upon a very rocky stream that was very clifty'. I think in 1760-67 nothing West beyond the Sandy was named by the English Colonies. I also discount versions of the journal that make mention of them coming by way of Ft. Pitt (Pittsburgh) because the Ohio River would be the way to travel from there to 'the mouth of the Big Sandy'. If they traveled by land they would have come right through what is now Moundville, WVA. There were too many landmarks and curious mounds and Indian workings for them not to mention them coming that way. In my head and looking at a topo map of VA, coming from Alexandria and passing through Cassleman's (Castlewood,VA) heading to the 'forks of the Big Sandy' ...Pound Gap makes sense, the Breaks makes sense and if they needed an alternate route or Southern route Cumberland Gap makes sense. Its basically a choice of dealing with the Shawnee (North) and Cherokee (South) as far as hostility.
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Oct 10, 2018 at 11:44 AM.
    Ken S., Rebel - KGC and rgb1 like this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Paintsville,Ky.
    379 times
    Ok I see your point. It is a possibility. not sure the Indians had much bearing on there thoughts as to how to travel , figure they all would kill them given half a chance.
    Last edited by Ken S.; Oct 10, 2018 at 12:32 PM.

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    Keep in mind, around the same time Swift was supposed to be mining silver, John Finley was trading with the Shawnee at the Old Indian Fields which is about 20 miles West of where the Red River Gorge is today. Not all Indians were hostile to all whites but many were.

http://geauganews.com/john-finley-hu...an-of-mystery/
    https://www.facebook.com/BooneHome/p...080021685255:0
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Oct 10, 2018 at 09:59 PM.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Paintsville,Ky.
    379 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Hiker View Post
    Keep in mind, around the same time Swift was supposed to be mining silver, John Finley was trading with the Shawnee at the Old Indian Fields which is about 20 miles West of where the Red River Gorge is today. Not all Indians were hostile to all whites but many were.

John Finley - Huntsburg?s ?Man of Mystery? - Geauga News
    https://www.facebook.com/BooneHome/p...080021685255:0
    taking into consideration the fact that Finley was trading with the Shawnee, coming into the Great Sandy by way of the Kanawa would be a smart move to stay out of the Cherokee nation all together according to this map. Bear in mind Munday knew the habits of the Indians.

Map of the United States - Early Native American Tribes
    Last edited by Ken S.; Oct 11, 2018 at 08:50 AM.
    KY Hiker and Rebel - KGC like this.

Jun 2007
    12267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Hiker View Post
    I keep catching myself halfway down a rabbit hole, doing research on related topics. Its very easy to get overwhelmed in information or distracted by a related topic. Just the traces alone could take years to figure out. The Shawnee had their own, the Cherokee as well, seems the Delaware got down this way too. It looks like the only trace they all used was the 'warrior's path', all the side traces were used by individual hunting and war parties. Dozens of them that are not documented but became pioneer roads later.
    "Warrior's Path" around here is Rt. 11, near Roanoke, Va.
    Ken S. and KY Hiker like this.

Jun 2007
    12267 times
    In the Shenandoah Valley (born & raised there) Shawnee had "Hunting Grounds" along the Shenandoah River; as a kid, I found LOTS of arrow-heads, tomahawk heads, certs/cert flake piles; maybe camps, NO villages.
    Ken S. and KY Hiker like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links