Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: did swift have 3 groups of mines

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    rooster

Nov 2013
    s.w. Ohio
    2 whites 1 garett
    285 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

did swift have 3 groups of mines

i believe swift had 3 groups of mines it seems he did not give many discriptions for his upper minesthe only thing i have found is basicly for the lower or west mines he did make reference to the head waters of sandy going up the levisa fork yet no discriptionsof area he went to i found mines near one of the forks within 4or 5 miles i also found a table top he discribes this is my avatar it is several miles south of the mines also 5od 10 miles below this i found a french mine on a creek that runs in an easterly direction and flowes into a larger stream going westerly i was told that at one time there was 2 smelters in a bottom a quarter mile away which was removed for farming it seems to me mabey these could be the upper mines or maybe not the surounding area does not fit his discriptions so either these are not his or . give me an idea . rgb1
    KY Hiker and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    Thanks for the mail rgb1!
    Perhaps nothing will absolutely fit the descriptions because the original version of the journal is either lost or tucked away in someone's library? I say this because of all the various versions of the journal that are out there. If you look at any of the versions from a literary standpoint, they all seem to be written in the past tense. A true journal would be written more like a diary.
    For example,' June 12 in the year of our lord 1763 we left Cassles' woods for the mines. June 29 we arrived at the mines with no troubles by way of the Big Sandy.' This reads more like a diary or journal than what you typically find in Swift Journals.

Many of the existing journals have bits of information that are from the original in my opinion. Maybe its the landmarks, maybe its the timeline...but I am thinking they have been altered and added to mislead others. Greed could cause one to do very selfish things. Consider someone who has searched for a long time with nothing to show for it, So they alter the journal (West become North for example) they have and make copies and sell them for cash...? When I sit and reflect about the timeline of this legend and those that have searched for it. I can't help but wonder how many hundreds of people have searched since the late 1700s. How many hands the journals have passed through.
    I think if you find a landmark that you should compare it to the journal, but not dismiss it if it doesn't match. See if that landmark takes you to another one. Another thing is to compare the journals to each other. Maybe by looking at them side by side and seeing what is in common among them, one could tell what is original and what was added later. By doing this and by using the travel time in days of the journey one could deduce where the mines should be, or at least where its too far or too close.
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Jul 21, 2018 at 11:34 PM.
    Rebel - KGC and rgb1 like this.

Jun 2007
    12267 times
    Looking for THREE mines or "groups" of mines...? @ 3 mines per "Group"...? @ 9 mines...?
    franklin and KY Hiker like this.

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    Some journals say upper and lower mines, some make mention of middle mines. I defer back to Rebecca Timmins and the version she was going by. Probably the oldest version to my knowledge and most of which she had published in the Hazel Green newspaper. Her thoughts were two mines or that there was 2 openings, one on the ridge top the other along the cliff line and that they may be connected. Its split into two articles a week apart 'Written by one who knows'.

Links to articles in original post...
    Written by one who knows Oct 1894
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Jul 22, 2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added link
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    12267 times
    I ALSO read of UPPER & LOWER Mines... SO!

us
    Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
    5552 times
    The lower mines are the mines that Swift's men went along Pine Mountain to get to, which most likely are the mines on Elkhorn Creek. The richer or Upper Mines most likely is NE of Lexington on the headwaters of the Little Sandy River or branches of the western side of the Big Sandy since the maps say the creeks flowed to the NE.

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Hiker View Post
    Thanks for the mail rgb1!
    Perhaps nothing will absolutely fit the descriptions because the original version of the journal is either lost or tucked away in someone's library? I say this because of all the various versions of the journal that are out there. If you look at any of the versions from a literary standpoint, they all seem to be written in the past tense. A true journal would be written more like a diary.
    For example,' June 12 in the year of our lord 1763 we left Cassles' woods for the mines. June 29 we arrived at the mines with no troubles by way of the Big Sandy.' This reads more like a diary or journal than what you typically find in Swift Journals.

Many of the existing journals have bits of information that are from the original in my opinion. Maybe its the landmarks, maybe its the timeline...but I am thinking they have been altered and added to mislead others. Greed could cause one to do very selfish things. Consider someone who has searched for a long time with nothing to show for it, So they alter the journal (West become North for example) they have and make copies and sell them for cash...? When I sit and reflect about the timeline of this legend and those that have searched for it. I can't help but wonder how many hundreds of people have searched since the late 1700s. How many hands the journals have passed through.
    I think if you find a landmark that you should compare it to the journal, but not dismiss it if it doesn't match. See if that landmark takes you to another one. Another thing is to compare the journals to each other. Maybe by looking at them side by side and seeing what is in common among them, one could tell what is original and what was added later. By doing this and by using the travel time in days of the journey one could deduce where the mines should be, or at least where its too far or too close.
    Take into consideration the Filson land title stating 60-70 miles NE of Martin's cabin along with Swift said a group went SW along the great ridge (Pine Mt). Pigeon Water Cave is in that area.... you could almost shade in an area by using these along with the days traveled and referencing roughly the longitude and latitude.
    Walking with mules or horses a group could do 15-20 miles a day maybe a little more on level ground and longer days. If those animals are loaded maybe only 10-12 miles a day. So do the math and look at a map as the crow flys from Alexandria VA (Washington DC) towards Castlewood, VA and draw an arc...
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Jul 22, 2018 at 08:42 PM.
    franklin, Rebel - KGC and Ken S. like this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
    5552 times
    Yes, but would not Pigeon Water Cave be considered the Lower Mines. If so where are the Upper Mines were Swift says they went a considerable distance West of the Forks of the Big Sandy. How many forks of the Big Sandy are there? At least five I think? Most likely the Fork at Louisa, Ky.
    KY Hiker and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    I think after what was brought out of pigeon water cave by Mr. Gibson that it is actually part of the Shawnee Cave. It was a stash cave and not a mine itself. Although a mine could be near it on either side of the ridge. Swift probably used a different entrance than the Pigeon Water entrance, and Gibson happened upon part of the stash in kegs.
    Rebel - KGC and franklin like this.

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Yes, but would not Pigeon Water Cave be considered the Lower Mines. If so where are the Upper Mines were Swift says they went a considerable distance West of the Forks of the Big Sandy. How many forks of the Big Sandy are there? At least five I think? Most likely the Fork at Louisa, Ky.
    Yep, they would be lower if around Pigeon Water Cave. The terminology has always struck me wrong. 'Upper' could mean Northern or it could mean higher in elevation or it could mean upstream. Same with 'lower' ... but opposite of course. So what would 'middle' mean if there are middle mines

I have even wondered if upper, middle and lower could be a reference to the KY. River's three forks? or the Red River's 3 forks?
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Jul 22, 2018 at 08:25 PM.
    Rebel - KGC and franklin like this.

Jun 2007
    12267 times
    I think Red River Gorge is KEY...

Charter Member
    us
    rooster

Nov 2013
    s.w. Ohio
    2 whites 1 garett
    285 times
    thanks guys this kind of discussions is what helps everybody no idea is wrong each is a new avenue to pursue rgb1
    franklin, KY Hiker, 1320 and 1 others like this.

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    There is an entry in the journal that infers multiple mines... its goes something like '...we returned to the same place'. If there were only one mine that line would not be needed! Now was this saying the same mine, or the same group of mines? who knows? Later on in many versions it states '...we walled up the entrance with locust posts...' which makes one assume there is only one mine. Or was this just the mine Swift worked? And most state that '...we removed all evidence of our workings...' . That suggests the furnace was destroyed and any equipment buried or hauled out. Most versions I have read say that the furnace was in a rock house. If this were so, heavy soot would still be on the rock overhang. Using a rock house makes sense, you can keep the rain off the charcoal before burning and the inside/back wall would hold heat well and support the stones needed to build the furnace.
    franklin, Rebel - KGC and Ken S. like this.

us
    I Like to Hike

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    1204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rgb1 View Post
    thanks guys this kind of discussions is what helps everybody no idea is wrong each is a new avenue to pursue rgb1
    Yes, all options should be explored and discussed.
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Jul 24, 2018 at 01:38 PM.
    Rebel - KGC and rgb1 like this.

Jun 2007
    12267 times
    "Pics" from Red River Gorge are AWESOME! Archways like bridges over Creeks, MANY trails... INTERESTING "Rock Formations"... WHEW!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links