Known geology that produces silver and gold

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
concerning white rock thats heaver than one of compareable size this could be because of weight difference sounds like silver chloride if it is it will disolve in 20% nitric acid and distilled water if it disolves add some hcl muratic acid or table salt if its silver it will give you a white curddy precipate . use a piece the size of a bean crush it up before putting into acid water mix silver chloride is 75% silver this is found when over time a silver vein decomposes. i have found a chloride vein over 10 inches thick on fed land .

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
concerning white rock thats heaver than one of compareable size this could be because of weight difference sounds like silver chloride if it is it will disolve in 20% nitric acid and distilled water if it disolves add some hcl muratic acid or table salt if its silver it will give you a white curddy precipate . use a piece the size of a bean crush it up before putting into acid water mix silver chloride is 75% silver this is found when over time a silver vein decomposes. i have found a chloride vein over 10 inches thick on fed land .

Thanks rgb1, does the picture of the rock look right for it to contain silver chloride? I guess I'll be giving that stone a whack after all.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take something hard butter knife bandle press hard and make amark bout half inch long if its slick or waxy looking its probably silver chloride

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take something hard butter knife bandle press hard and make amark bout half inch long if its slick or waxy looking its probably silver chloride

Well it was not waxy, it scratched like limestone. I took it to my garage and dropped it from shoulder height and it shattered, so no need to take a hammer to it. Here is what it looks like, shards are sharp like chert.... SaltForkRockBroken 002.JPG ....gray inside like it is on the outside. I am guessing this is a piece of sandstone subjected to heat since it shattered, usually sandstone breaks up in a fire pit over time and turns powdery and it usually doesn't have this color so I don't know. When it broke there was no sand just these pieces I swept up and took a picture of.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it was not waxy, it scratched like limestone. I took it to my garage and dropped it from shoulder height and it shattered, so no need to take a hammer to it. Here is what it looks like, shards are sharp like chert.... View attachment 1662626 ....gray inside like it is on the outside. I am guessing this is a piece of sandstone subjected to heat since it shattered, usually sandstone breaks up in a fire pit over time and turns powdery and it usually doesn't have this color so I don't know. When it broke there was no sand just these pieces I swept up and took a picture of.

AM I seeing brown spots that looks lik Quartz?

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
There is brown in the upper piece but nothing that looks crystal in structure.

It's about the color of some quartz I've seen in some limestone gravel. Kind of hard to see texture in pic. I think it still might have possibilities. Maybe the brown is pyrite that didn't completely form/crystalize ?

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's about the color of some quartz I've seen in some limestone gravel. Kind of hard to see texture in pic. I think it still might have possibilities. Maybe the brown is pyrite that didn't completely form/crystalize ?

I kept the rock pieces in a coffee can, I don't think it qualifies for an acid test...but that creek deserves an overnight stay this Spring...a branch of it is called Silver Mine Branch. I'll have to go in Spring so my pack is lighter and has more space, so I can carry more rock back. Here is an interesting picture along the trail back to this creek.
Nov2018 GapOnSheltowee020.JPG
I am 6'2" and a little over 200lbs, I could just barely fit through it (without the back pack)

Last edited:

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will try to post my theory on geology of ky. probably will be on new thread still cant get it on here have tried severimes if it doesn't fit your criteria guess you will have to rely on the geologist theorys or mabey you will have some good thoughts see what you think when i get it to post.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will try to post my theory on geology of ky. probably will be on new thread still cant get it on here have tried severimes if it doesn't fit your criteria guess you will have to rely on the geologist theorys or mabey you will have some good thoughts see what you think when i get it to post.

I can't wait to read it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread