KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this might be a good topic/research subject to either prove or disprove the probability of silver deposits in eastern KY. Please post any links to data supporting your thoughts or theories. Even lead deposit related data may help.

Since some have mentioned before in other threads that fractures in the sediments may have brought up silver and others have mentioned meteor strikes as another possibility and we know that mainstream geologists generally dismiss the possibility I thought it would be good to discuss thoughts here.

I came across this several weeks ago and it may add to some others evidence.

Did You Know That Meteorites Have Hit Kentucky?

http://academic.emporia.edu/aberjame/student/jung1/jeptha_knob.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesboro_crater

Bell Falls RRGorge is mentioned....http://www.uky.edu/KGS/minerals/im_uranium.php

http://www.uky.edu/KGS/minerals/im_database.php

good map, look at zinc and lead mining in particular https://kgs.uky.edu/kgsweb/olops/pub/kgs/mc26_12.pdf

page 20 fig 14 shows an arch spanning cave branch.!..!.. Carter Caves http://ky.aipg.org/GUIDEBOOKS/2011 Guidebook.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
:dontknow:thank you hiker, for putting this up. I was going to wait on putting this bit up, because it keeps getting stranger the father I go in to this. I know some of you have seen forms of this and can add to this. remember when we were talking about the diamond mine, silver ore and gold being found next to grayson lake, well, I have been going though some of my old reports on geology of Kentucky and vary old news paper clippings on this matter. I have some information from the men who did the geology survey along little sandy river up to greenup county. this same group also did survey from McGee Kentucky east to turkey foot on war fork in Jackson county, north to cave run lake along licking river near the dam. using the news paper clippings, some go back to 1856, telling of silver ore or gold being found along the same areas as the surveys. whats odd for me is the geology surveys seem to follow the news paper clippings. did the Kentucky geology survey use the news papers to find out what needs to be checked out? the surveys were carried out before 1925. another odd thing I cannot find any information on those surveys on line or at the library that had those books. also information on ores being found around were dams were being dug. the only good thing is the people stood up and said, no way when the federal government wanted to dam up the red river gorge. i'm still searching for more info on this topic.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I'm stuck between those delightful locations. One mile to the East of me off the same mountain, gold was found. Two miles to the North of me off a different mountain, silver was found leading to illegal production of silver dollars around the turn of the century before me.

I've panned my waters and zilch. I have one of those dirt clod properties, so the dreams have faded in my retirement home.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepSeekerADS, Hang in there. I do not live too far from you maybe 20 miles. I too have searched over those areas and the creeks and I have not found any gold or silver. It is there though. I know of a silver mine that a man found during WWII on top of that mountain. I went and talked to him but he was so old, he could not remember.

I was going to meet up with a man that was to take me to a location where a neighbor's chickens were getting choked on gold nuggets. The chickens thought the gold nuggets were kernels of corn. The man died the day we were to meet.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
DeepSeekerADS, Hang in there. I do not live too far from you maybe 20 miles. I too have searched over those areas and the creeks and I have not found any gold or silver. It is there though. I know of a silver mine that a man found during WWII on top of that mountain. I went and talked to him but he was so old, he could not remember.

I was going to meet up with a man that was to take me to a location where a neighbor's chickens were getting choked on gold nuggets. The chickens thought the gold nuggets were kernels of corn. The man died the day we were to meet.

You and I have talked before several years back. You told me about several treasures like where Walmart in Collinsville was a location of lost silver dollars. There's plenty that went on around here. Maybe someday I'll get a peek :) I haven't, nor will I ever give up completely except in the grave. Dreams add to your life, and I do dream of delights.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and I have talked before several years back. You told me about several treasures like where Walmart in Collinsville was a location of lost silver dollars. There's plenty that went on around here. Maybe someday I'll get a peek :) I haven't, nor will I ever give up completely except in the grave. Dreams add to your life, and I do dream of delights.

My dream has always been to be the first prospector on the Moon or on Mars. May never happen but we do live for our dreams.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just looking at the pictures of silver ore posted here in this thread.

I've lots of rocks!!! And I've seen several which might fit in with the pictures.

So! The question is, would the commercially available acid test kits work to test some of those rocks?

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never never never give up if i had i would not be where i am today soon you will all know the swift mines were for real the negetive people are going to be so disappointed .

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The geology teacher at a UC branch campus had a map of fractures, she can't find it now but she did have it and showed it to me. It was really detailed and I wanted to see the area around Elliott county -- it had two fractures that went thru it! Most gold is brought to the surface from deep down by other molten minerals(like molten quartz) maybe the gold and silver in Ky was brought up by something other than quartz thru those fractures. I can show anyone the 6 Indian silver mines, I took a sample and had it analyzed The geologist said the silver was sedimentary and was on the bed of an ancient lake that covered most of KY in those areas, I also showed her some gold from near Grayson, she said it was the samething. We also have the diamond mine (and kimberlitic ores)occurring in that area which proves some neat stuff came to the surface during some really stressful geological movements. Or, God just put it all where it is to give us something to do, the Almighty does have a sense of humor.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

SPOOKY!

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The geology teacher at a UC branch campus had a map of fractures, she can't find it now but she did have it and showed it to me. It was really detailed and I wanted to see the area around Elliott county -- it had two fractures that went thru it! Most gold is brought to the surface from deep down by other molten minerals(like molten quartz) maybe the gold and silver in Ky was brought up by something other than quartz thru those fractures. I can show anyone the 6 Indian silver mines, I took a sample and had it analyzed The geologist said the silver was sedimentary and was on the bed of an ancient lake that covered most of KY in those areas, I also showed her some gold from near Grayson, she said it was the samething. We also have the diamond mine (and kimberlitic ores)occurring in that area which proves some neat stuff came to the surface during some really stressful geological movements. Or, God just put it all where it is to give us something to do, the Almighty does have a sense of humor.

I would love to see that fracture map posted in this thread! Curtis you need to have her find that map or where it came from!
Any evidence for or against the probability of gold or silver in East KY should be posted here for all to view and review.

Last edited:

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you very good over sights

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job, I overlooked that in the key to the map. Thanks for re-posting the link.

Last edited:

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the 70's, I was a geology major at W.K.U. for 2 years. Of course, the generally accepted idea was that they were no "commercially viable" gold deposits in Kentucky. (Silver is often found in the same locations as gold) So, all these years later, I see "expert" geologists from Kentucky universities saying there is "NO GOLD IN KY." That is quite different from what I had been taught. I posted this elsewhere but there is a small town near me called Gold City and it was so named because a guy digging a well found a large gold nugget. Well, that turned out to be iron pyrite (fool's gold) and now that is cited as proof there is no gold here. BUT, I also learned back in college that gold is often found in or near where pyrite is located. But now were are told the conditions in this state do not allow for that. I think it is here, and all around in various locations, in very small deposits and quantities due to the layers of sedimentary rock covering most of my part of the state. We find many fossils of sea creatures proving that Kentucky was once under the ocean so, I would not rule anything out in absolutes like they seem to be doing now. I believe the Indians in this area knew where to find the silver and the gold, as little as there might be. Maybe I was given bad information back then but, I like to believe it is possible to find "some" here and there.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread