All Treasure Hunting

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not criticizing great video these might be called chestnut burr rocks however what you are looking at i beleve to be volcanic flo rocksformed under water . holes and fold openings are formed by escaping gases and dissoveable matrix solides by chlorine of salt water. actualy this proves volcanic activity in ky.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The formations are very common on the underside of rock outcroppings at a particular elevation along ridges. I'm guessing but I usually see them about 2/3 of the way up a ridge typically. I was told they were formed by wave/water action underneath the rock ledges from prehistoric times. I always wondered what was deposited in the pockets that washed out, same with the large hemispherical 'holes' you can see along the cliffs. They look like a giant ball was stuck into the cliff when it was soft and then it was removed.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The term used for these type of rock formations is 'honeycomb erosion'. I am still trying to study what the deposit was that eroded away, this is typically found in sandstone formations in KY.

GreenHorn

Aug 6, 2007
South Carolina
Images to compare with are actual chestnut burrs. Nothing else but the rocks shown above compare to these that I have ever seen in nature.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=chestnut+burr+image&qpvt=chestnut+burr+image&FORM=IGRE

These bring back memories. Having grown up in this part of the country, my papaw had 5 very large chestnut trees in the yard. We never wore shoes growing up, so we got to know these well!

Wish I woulda known of Swift growing up. A lot of the places I see mentioned, I used to be familiar with. Dunno how many caves, among other things we found / explored back then.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are so many nooks and crannies, rock houses and caves, and of course arches there, much to explore. Each drain can be like its own world.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you want to know what is in pockets and folds dig into back as far as you can in several of them mix thoughly do not need much mabey 50 grams put in bagy i will give you name of lab to send it to to get a composition assay run its not to expensive about 50 to 100. dollars last one i had run was 50. thats been a while ago . it will give you a complete list of any thing in the sample .

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking at video and this is only a guess ! this appears to be a massive deposit of cobalt [ blues] and litihium [ pinks ] the two mixed together creates the purplish color in area below . these are sometimes found together . this is what the electric car batteries are composed of , there is a shortage at present and prices last time i looked had doubled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread