good people have disappeared

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of the best people have disappeared it is sad they all was very important to our discussions even if we do not agree on everything its still important to have their input i know i have faced a lot of criticism really dont care it is still important to get every ones ideas mabey i missed something now i need some geologic info and cannot contact swifty . others have left also mabey they found a stache or even the mines any ideas ?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of the best people have disappeared it is sad they all was very important to our discussions even if we do not agree on everything its still important to have their input i know i have faced a lot of criticism really dont care it is still important to get every ones ideas mabey i missed something now i need some geologic info and cannot contact swifty . others have left also mabey they found a stache or even the mines any ideas ?

Social media has changed, video now being the desired format. Today one can find forums, live streaming, video resources, etc., all at a single location. I really think that if Treasurenet is to survive it is going to have to adapt to these new platforms.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Video is allowed here, what we dont allow is links to other treasure hunting websites and that includes Facebook pages about treasure hunting.

I personally would rather see pictures than video.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I never got to talk with Swifty he has not been on here for at least two years now. Some of the other regulars don't post as much as they used to either. It is either a lack of interest or ... it takes a lot of work to get that ore out of the ground.

OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GUESS YOUR RIGHT KI DISSAPEARED TOO GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU HOPE YOU DONT LEAVE TOO

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other

I have read through a lot of the threads and have notice the criticism you and others have received. I don't see the need for the criticism on a legend like Swift Silver Mine. It's a legend and with any lie there is always a bit of truth involved. From the info I've gone through I have found there's probably two dozen maps/direction/waybills. This being the case what's to say that if you dismiss any of them you may miss the little bit of truth in that one that would lead you to the big find that proves the legend is truth. I have an opinion about the legend as does everyone, BUT It's an opinion ,not proven to be the only truth out there.

If there's anything I can ever do to help let me know. Not a geologist bet like looking at and digging in rock and dirt.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Video is allowed here, what we dont allow is links to other treasure hunting websites and that includes Facebook pages about treasure hunting.

I personally would rather see pictures than video.

Right, but today's video live streaming and instant chat, ect., is becoming "the in thing" in social media. I also think that it's become too easy for people to start their own forums, blogs, vlogs, ect., where they can control the content and rules etc., etc. Didn't use to be this easy for them and website like Tnet were their best option. But today folks can easily just do their own thing in a variety of formats where they are in complete control.

OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really do not like social media or the new stuff i guess im old fashion im 78 years old and lucky to even do what i doif it wasant for grandaughter i couldn't do what i do . thanks ken i disagree with most of what the geologist say and can prove what i have discovered really wanted to get swifty's opinion as i know hes a geologist .

Last edited:
OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks

thanks ken and to others for replies when i show and tell you will be one of the first to see

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This type of search is not the typical one found on TNet. I would say its 75% research work and 25% field search work. What is odd about it is the 25% takes more time than the 75% does. MT on the weekends in your spare time is a completely different animal than this. When you take this up in your spare time and still hold a full time job, time in the field is very limited!

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GUESS YOUR RIGHT KI DISSAPEARED TOO GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU HOPE YOU DONT LEAVE TOO

I recall someone posting recently that KI moved away/out of state. He was onto something promising with that opening he found in the RRGorge area that was on private land...it must have been pretty good because he removed a bunch of pictures he had posted. I hope it went well for him!

OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i been thinking same thing just didn't want to say it

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got a copy of the Robert Prather book, I have been reading a little every night this week. This guy is a real investigator on the Swift stuff. So far the dates don't match the legend but since he is researching facts, I would say either the legend is wrong on the dates or Prather has found another Swift other than the one of silver mine fame. The possibility of two unrelated Jonathon Swifts from Alexandria and in KY within 25 years of each other is remote when the total population of KY was estimated to be somewhere south of 200,000 people by 1800. Also, both Swifts being in the shipping/merchant business in Alexandria, VA? Here I have been thinking the legend could have been changed as far as landmarks and directions, I never thought about time frame as well. Interesting reading.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw Ki on TV in a series called Appalachian Outlaws [I think was the name of it] a few nights ago . The program was about digging siege in W. Va.. Seems that would fit right in with searching an area for the Swift legend . He seemed to have some good input on the legend from the posts I've read through.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw Ki on TV in a series called Appalachian Outlaws [I think was the name of it] a few nights ago . The program was about digging siege in W. Va.. Seems that would fit right in with searching an area for the Swift legend . He seemed to have some good input on the legend from the posts I've read through.

Last thing I recall I saw of KI was a post on a blog promoting Henson's novel SWIFT. I don't remember when that was, before or after he dropped off of here though.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally got a copy of the Robert Prather book, I have been reading a little every night this week. This guy is a real investigator on the Swift stuff. So far the dates don't match the legend but since he is researching facts, I would say either the legend is wrong on the dates or Prather has found another Swift other than the one of silver mine fame. The possibility of two unrelated Jonathon Swifts from Alexandria and in KY within 25 years of each other is remote when the total population of KY was estimated to be somewhere south of 200,000 people by 1800. Also, both Swifts being in the shipping/merchant business in Alexandria, VA? Here I have been thinking the legend could have been changed as far as landmarks and directions, I never thought about time frame as well. Interesting reading.

I’ve been meaning to get a copy of prather’s book, as it mentioned that there was land owns by John James. The area was he mentioned in his video is correct. John James was my family. He did indeed own land on Johns Creek in Floyd County. However, without the dates from the book, I can’t say if it’s accurate. I don’t think my family was here during that time. However, my grandmothers family was. The Harmons of the Jenny Wiley story. That was about that time. And it was in the area of Johns Creek. So, looks like I need to order that book!!

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been meaning to get a copy of prather’s book, as it mentioned that there was land owns by John James. The area was he mentioned in his video is correct. John James was my family. He did indeed own land on Johns Creek in Floyd County. However, without the dates from the book, I can’t say if it’s accurate. I don’t think my family was here during that time. However, my grandmothers family was. The Harmons of the Jenny Wiley story. That was about that time. And it was in the area of Johns Creek. So, looks like I need to order that book!!

I'm still reading it, his research is deep and thorough. His Swift of Alexandria, VA is 30+ years younger than the legend's time frame...

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember Ki saying he was moving south.

Swifty still emails me once in a blue moon, he was working and caring for his mom and didn't have time to scout. Was with Swifty a couple of times hunting the mines and he is a great friend, very knowledgeable...I think he has a degree in geology. Been 5 years since we were in Elliott county on another T-hunt..he is not afraid of exploring caves I didn't even want to go into..haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread