Mine Pics

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken,

When you mentioned "Lots of it pushed over the hill to get to the coal in the last half a century." it reminded me of a guy saying just that, a geologist-that was up in years found some Silver ore that had been bulldozed over the hill in a strip mine, and a back pack netted sever ounces...its in the form of rolled up (dozer) black stuff. Silver was only 6 bucks an ounce...I have a rough idea where it is and plan to check it out this summer...you never know.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
From the geology I've been studying it is above most of the coal in this area, Maybe above all the coal even.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What natural occurrence would deposit silver over the coal? I would think that activity would happen prior to coal being formed. But that is why I suck at geology...

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
The weight of the water of an Inland Sea, it also helped in forming the coal. The salt water/chemicals of the sea water probably change the silver to chemical form. And volcanic activity under the water help make this all happen. That's why it's not found in vertical veins that often here like it is out west. All this is just my best guess from what I've learned . Another reason our rocks are sedimentary.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coal is found below the sandstone but above the limestone...correct?
I thought coal formed from freshwater marshes like the old dinosaur commercials from Sinclair Oil in the 1960s ? (maybe that was oil deposits?) If that is the case, how would silver be deposited above this? My problem with Geology and retaining anything about it is the timescale, I for some reason can't wrap my head around it all.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Oil deposits was created by flesh of Dinosaurs decaying if I understand it right. Coal is formed from vegetation decaying and being compressed or compressed and decaying . If I'm wrong I hope someone lets me know.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What natural occurrence would deposit silver over the coal? I would think that activity would happen prior to coal being formed. But that is why I suck at geology...

Look for the volcanic upheavals in the mountains. The old timers called them mountain cracks. They run all along and on top of the Appalachian Mtns. I have seen them three to four feet wide and a couple hundred feet deep. Watch out in the woods while searching, if you step into a depression you may fall hundreds of feet and never get back out.
Also look for rocks that are perpendicular to the ground instead of horizontal. That is the sign of a vault line beneath that can bring silver and gold to the top of the ground and run in the cracks of the fissure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Look for the volcanic upheavals in the mountains. The old timers called them mountain cracks. They run all along and on top of the Appalachian Mtns. I have seen them three to four feet wide and a couple hundred feet deep. Watch out in the woods while searching, if you step into a depression you may fall hundreds of feet and never get back out.
Also look for rocks that are perpendicular to the ground instead of horizontal. That is the sign of a vault line beneath that can bring silver and gold to the top of the ground and run in the cracks of the fissure.

I often wonder if this may have been what happened to some of the people that came up missing during Swifts time, when they would start looking for his mine. Feel in a crack and unable to get out. There was some when they left that was never heard of again.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often wonder if this may have been what happened to some of the people that came up missing during Swifts time, when they would start looking for his mine. Feel in a crack and unable to get out. There was some when they left that was never heard of again.

Back in the 1970s or 1980s a National Geographic Magazine photographer (forgot his name) fell into a 'crevice' while out in the Red River Gorge taking Winter photos for an upcoming article. They didn't find him until late Spring. Looked like he slid in and was wedged in place until he starved to death. From what I remember, he was well known and done shoots all over the world including many war zones. All that experience and he died like that... what a bad way to go.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I often wonder too, if a lot of the murder was added to the stories to add drama to them. I don't think that people would admit to murdering someone in most of the situation they're alone with one other person. Who in their right mind would kill someone and then brag , I killed him so I could have his Silver ??

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah BUT you still wouldn't brag about it. It would be a story the Indians done it. Swift killed Mundy, Mundy killed Swift. So Some of the stories go.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every treasure story has the element of deceit usually driven by greed. It made a better 'story' to tell when a moral twist is added. I think of the version that had Swift killing everyone including the Indians guarding the cave so that he could have it all to himself. Only to have to crawl out back to civilization blind because of what he had done. Never mind, he could have never lead the mules loaded back by himself... its all done for color and to teach others not to betray others' trust, ect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread