KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read his book, very good research but the Swift he found is of a different age than that of the legend. The dates could have been changed to protect finding rights though.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
It wasn't until after the revolutionary war that land in eastern ky could be bought, up until then it was mainly controlled by French then England and of coarse the Indians. Doesn't mean swift couldn't have bought land tracts in the massive western movement after independence. Guess that's where most truth gets lost in the legend maybe.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Prather has research that his Swift lived through the war of 1812 and beyond. His Swift was from Alexandria and was a merchant who owned ships to move his wares. A friend of Washington and patriot during the Rev war. Certainly different than all those Journals and tales of Swift dying around 1800 possibly in Lexington.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Can you give reference from Prathers book where he talks about Swift living past 1800. I haven't read this book yet just bits n pieces. All Journals do state Swift was from Alexandria and him owning share in ships. Swift died either in Lexington or Tn.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll have to wait until I get home this evening, don't have the book with me here at work. There is a part where Swift was part of a party that went to meet the British to insure Alexandria would not be burned like Washington (DC) was. The book is worth the price just for the research done, I am not fully signed on his theory about Treasure Island connection though...that is the third part of the book.

Bad sound, you'll have to turn it up. Mr. Prather giving another presentation. First 12 minutes of video

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From page 41 of 'The Strange Case of Jonathan Swift and the Real Long John Silver' by Robert A. Prather. "Early in the quest for information on Swift and the legend, it was decided to find all available information on Jonathan Swift of Alexandria, Virginia even though, according to various books and articles, it seemed that he could not be the same Swift of the Swift journal. The writings of the journal state that Swift's mining operation took place approximately from 1761-1769. This particular Jonathan Swift of Alexandria was born in 1764, which would obviously make him too young to be the Swift of the Swift journal. But could he be the Swift of the Kentucky silver mine legend?"

Earlier on the same page he states that this Swift of Alexandria owned 11 different tracts in KY totaling 62,056 3/4 acres.

Page 56 states ...Jonathan Swift was born March 27th (or 22nd) 1764 to Samuel and Ann Foster Swift of Milton, Massachusetts. He was the seventh of nine children. And that Samuel Swift (1715-1775) was one of participants of the Boston Tea Party raid and a partner with John Adams...I assume business partner.

From page 91..."October 11, 1802, Ann Foster Swift was born of Jonathan Swift and his wife, Ann." sited 64 ...named after her mother I assume.

From page 95..."September 21, 1808 - William Taylor Swift, son of Jonathan Swift and Ann, his wife, dies, one day old." sited 68 and 64.
Same page..."April 15, 1811, Foster Swift, son of Jonathan Swift and Ann, his wife, was baptized...born May 20, 1810." sited 68 and 64.

There are many pages of entrys in the book he has found through various sources sited. Several pages describing Swift's role in the war of 1812 as well.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Thanks for feed back. Samuel Swift was Swifts father. Swift is first mentioned by Filson in land grant. 1788. I do think they could be one of same. Just different idea someone had.. The journals are even manipulated so much who knows if they are even true. I believe Swift was a Indian trader myself. The clues in the journal, landmarks, and most important the carvings led to the site I'm at. But I happen to luckily stubble upon this place before i even knew about the legend.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I can remember when I was in the 7th grade having Ky. History class and Johnathan Swift being mentioned. This was in the late 60's just as Prather mentioned.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Prather also had 3 parts to the book, or 3 different theory's

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess I'll have to get me a copy of Prathers book. Add to the library.
Does it have the maps and the indentures descriptions in it ??

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prather also had 3 parts to the book, or 3 different theory's

The book is divided up into 3 sections, the last being evidence for his theory. Its a little bit of a stretch and I don't understand why R.L.Stevenson would be motivated to 'code' Treasure Island in the way he describes. Even so, the book is worth the sited research alone IMHO.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can remember when I was in the 7th grade having Ky. History class and Johnathan Swift being mentioned. This was in the late 60's just as Prather mentioned.

Too bad I didn't pick them up, but my parents had the Collins books on History of Ky. Probably ended up in the trash after my mom passed on. They had so much in their basement and I had no place to put it all.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for feed back. Samuel Swift was Swifts father. Swift is first mentioned by Filson in land grant. 1788. I do think they could be one of same. Just different idea someone had.. The journals are even manipulated so much who knows if they are even true. I believe Swift was a Indian trader myself. The clues in the journal, landmarks, and most important the carvings led to the site I'm at. But I happen to luckily stubble upon this place before i even knew about the legend.

I never have pursued the Robert Breckenridge that was also on the Filson document. I wonder if he ties into any other land ownership in KY in that timeline.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I never have pursued the Robert Breckenridge that was also on the Filson document. I wonder if he ties into any other land ownership in KY in that timeline.

First thing comes to my mind would be Breckenridge Co. .. It could have been named after him or ?? Who knows he may have owned all of it. Might be a place to start. Yep it's kind of out of the area so to speak, but who knows ..

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do not have much faith in prathers book if swift did own the land as he says then i think this land would contain the supposed great cave and would be reason for ownership of this land i believe the great cave is a deception to lead people off and is actually an unknown that has yet to be discovered and is much smaller than swift describes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread