000fff.jpg
000ggg.jpg
000hhh.jpg
000iii.jpg
000jjj.jpg
000kkk.jpg
000lll.jpg
000mmm.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you had not read this great info did read other versions

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard a story much like this about the RRG area .. According to this article readings Nothing mentioned of the Great Cave or Great Shawnee Cave, not even A mention of Shawnee but Cherokee was the ones searching.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It was still part of OLD Virginia, then... wanted MORE settlers in that area; bet RRG was awesome! :headbang:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I figure it was all awesome back then. No roads other than game trails, Not to speak of all the buildings that wasn't here. Nothing but WILDERNESS.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff another great post, I had never thought of searching for Swift articles outside of KY.
Wolfe County is part of the Red River Gorge area, Swift Camp Creek is in Wolfe county. The turkey tracks are Cherokee, and a large South running creek matches to Lower Devil's Creek where the trace coming up from Beattyville, KY ran, leading North and splitting. One trace went through the RRGorge via Pine Ridge then Swift Camp Creek. The other passed through what is now Natural Bridge S.P. and followed that fork of the Red River and then towards the Indian Old Fields.
If the Cherokee were operating silver mines under the noses of the Shawnee?? WOW

Another article about Swift and Mrs. Timmins
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ver&y=12&x=18&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=4

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard a story much like this about the RRG area .. According to this article readings Nothing mentioned of the Great Cave or Great Shawnee Cave, not even A mention of Shawnee but Cherokee was the ones searching.

This is about the RRGorge area (Wolfe Co.). Carter Co. is Carter Caves and Caney Creek area where the Indian waybill matches. Shawnee may have been done to lead people away, the Great cave could very well been a fabrication added on later. Added lore possibly.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
This is about the RRGorge area (Wolfe Co.). Carter Co. is Carter Caves and Caney Creek area where the Indian waybill matches. Shawnee may have been done to lead people away, the Great cave could very well been a fabrication added on later. Added lore possibly.

Seemed to me as they left Greenup they would have been looking more in the Cater Co. area Or some where closer than RRG area. Especially if they were coming from out west. Maybe I'm thinking of another article.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was told once that there was a John Swift buried in a cemetary in Cattlettsburg. Never got around to checking it out though. The guy that told me lived in the area there and we got to talking about legends and such while fishing one day.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Cherokee were enslaved by the SPANISH Miners to "do" mining; then Cherokee killed ALL Spanish Miners & took over Mining (NC, Tenn., SW VA,). So it was CHEROKEE Mines, taken over by white settlers; Cherokee Nation was NOT amused. Shawnee were just travelers, looking for "Hunting Grounds", no real villages.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First article says Indians left out of Greenup, KY. That is where the Mouth of the Little Sandy meets the Ohio River. No where near Wolfe County....

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cherokee and Shawnee were at odds over hunting rights to KY, so why not silver mines too? The Indian Waybill was probably from the Shawnee(Portsmouth Ohio), mines further south may have been Cherokee. An excellent point about the Spanish...the pictures I posted a while back seem to be Spanish, one, Elipe, even has a very Spanish sounding name. These were close to the boat ramp on Little Caney creek (part of the Grayson reservoir). Boomer posted information about the Swift grave in Cattlesburg..and more info that might tie it to our JS. Greenup county used to be a lot larger than it is today, they cut several counties out of those first established. Remember the French mines on Kinnikonic(spelling is wrong) creek? Very close. The mines are close to an Indian Trace that went from Portsmouth to the Carter Caves area. Keep putting it together guys! Like KY hiker says we need to looking in places other than KY for references to what we are looking for!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions