Appalachian Mountains Passes

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXCELLENT! GREAT stories; I know all areas & LOVE SW Va. MY ppl were the BOWLING families! Melungeons; related to Pocahontas... that MY grand-ma used to tell ME!

Same here Rebel KGC, kin to Pocahontas, as well as Chief Cornstalk, and a host of others.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My children and I rafted the Gauley twice, rented a raft, and absolutely enjoyed the adventure.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Remember that "Indian" Mound (Burial Mound) in Montvale...? MONACAN Nation; they killed off ALL Quakers from Lynchburg, Va. who tried to start a "Meeting House" on that Burial Mound...

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend I worked with, his father was found dead near there. He was getting to close to the treasure. The blockhouse is also where Mary Ingles stayed after she walked back from being captured by Indians and carried into Kentucky. She later married John Miller.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
A friend I worked with, his father was found dead near there. He was getting to close to the treasure. The blockhouse is also where Mary Ingles stayed after she walked back from being captured by Indians and carried into Kentucky. She later married John Miller.
"Blockhouse"...?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there was a 'Blockhouse' in the Jenny Wiley story? I always confuse these pioneer Indian abduction stories.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From birth I have a dreadful fear of heights. The drive up that mountain to get to the hotel discouraged me from driving up often.

Half the way up the Mt. looking West into WV. a few miles out. 071.JPG

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think there was a 'Blockhouse' in the Jenny Wiley story? I always confuse these pioneer Indian abduction stories.

I think the mention of Blockhouse in the Jenney Wiley story might have been Blockhoue Bottom which is where Harmons Station was built. The story goes that the Harmons got tired of their hunting cabin being burned, and they built a Block House out of stone. At least that's the local twist. From then on that area was called Blockhouse Bottom.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Doing R & I on old roads/trails/traces from Virginia into Kentucky... "google" Wilderness Road/Fincastle Turnpike, then: Wilderness Road/Frontier Trail. HH! Good Luck! Have FUN!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions