Current state of search for Swift's mine

Apr 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm co-editor of a publication and we're thinking of writing a story about the current state of searching for Swift's silver mines. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me this-- who are the 2 or 3 people/parties most dedicated to searching for Swift's mines today? Or is the search at this point one that is more academic and theoretical?

Thanks for any guidance!

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are so many i do not know i would have to list many one thing is for certain the mines are for real this i can prove down the road i will show three mines i found the silver is there soon i will post what i have found . all that i have found ties into one of the journals as yet i have not given much information but will in the near future 6 mths or less hope you understand its a matter of mineral rights ps this is a very active search by many

Last edited:
OP
OP
A
Apr 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your reply. We wouldn't be looking to reveal any specifics. Just to figure out who to interview about the history and the current search. Would that in itself feel too revealing? Do those of you hunting for Swift's mines keep their identities/names private? Even names could be changed for an article. Any advice would be welcome for how to approach, but we'd love to explore trying to document the current searches as they unfold -- again without giving away or asking for anything proprietary. For us, what's interesting is what makes searchers tick. How they get involved and interested in the history, their philosophy and methodology, etc. Thanks again!

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you read thru the posted threads you will be amazed at the avenues that have been explored and will give you the best ideas on who you wouldwant to contact also you might explore mike steely he would give you some ideas and names he is a great person and has a lot of information and names some do research from arm chairs most wants to go and explore i have quit because of what i found i possibly would give some information no location at present but i might be able to help

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the nature of the legend, the books published and the 30+ different versions of Swift's Journal the number of 'active' searchers and researchers is more than likely in the hundreds. This site and its threads are a wealth of information. Everyone I have had contact with via Tnet has kept details tight to the vest, classic treasure hunter mentality. I understand the amount of research and field time required in their quests, it is quite valuable and I cannot blame them. I can say, including rgb1, that I know of 5 possibly 6 'active' hunters on this site alone. One of which has enough evidence that a TV show is going to cover his work, according to him, to be aired in August. There is the facebook side of it as well, but since I do not use facebook I have no idea who and what is there. On here you will only find handles and first names for the most part. I am after the historical aspect of the legend and not the 'treasure'. If you read through the last 5 years of threads you should find much of the information your looking for your article. One of our best researchers and former field searchers passed away recently, he had found many mines throughout EKY but said none that he had found showed any evidence of being Swift's. They were French and Spanish operations of the pre-pioneer KY period. That man had untold numbers of hours invested and will be truely missed. M.G.R.H.S. Boomer.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm co-editor of a publication and we're thinking of writing a story about the current state of searching for Swift's silver mines. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me this-- who are the 2 or 3 people/parties most dedicated to searching for Swift's mines today? Or is the search at this point one that is more academic and theoretical?

Thanks for any guidance!

On this website the three most active/dedicated would be KI, Curtis and rgb1. I only say this because each one of them have found mines with evidence of Swift nearby. If each one of them are correct in their searches and theories, combined together they may have solved the legend or the roots of the legend.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, there are a few that stand out from the rest of us. But there are many looking, and keeping secrets close.

OP
OP
A
Apr 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your replies! I'm just pondering the information you were gracious enough to provide here, and will likely post some more thoughts soon.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your replies! I'm just pondering the information you were gracious enough to provide here, and will likely post some more thoughts soon.

By the way, if you don't mind, what is the name of the publication? PM if you rather not say publicly.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
An opinion !! Anyone searching is keeping it very close to their chest not wanting people messing up their search area or access to their search area. It has been wallowed around the RRG area for 250 years. I would think it would have been found given the amount of search of that area, if it was there. I think RRG is a bit far west, but that's just my opinion.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AdventureEditor,
Welcome to T-net, the best site out there!

Thanks for the intro KY Hiker. I will never have as much info as our friendBoomer who has found his Treasure on the Streets of Gold!

I don't hold too much close to my chest as I am always hoping to help, if someone finds absolute proof and they find some small piece I contributed helpful then my mission is accomplished. As hiker says I have definitive proof of 6 silver mines in Elliot County, they are all within a 6 mile radius.These are the Indian mines we refer to as "The Indian Waybill"mines. I think I am the only one who has found them all and even have written a guide on how to find them, not published yet. I did send a copy to Expedition Unknown at their request, twice we have tried to get something going, but Josh and the gang are always of to some other country and this gets put on the shelf. It is a theory that these Indian waybill mines could be some of Swift's Mines, there are some small mines on Kinniconick that maybe are the French mines that Swift speaks of. I worked with a guy at National Mines Service Company that found some coin molds wrapped in Bear grease and fur, on a ledge near the monument rocks in the sharp bend of the Little Sandy river that we refer to as the line of rocks(from the Indian waybill). I first started looking for the mines in 1979 because of this guy, he found all kinds of Swift landmarks nearby. He shared that with two young whippier snappers and we were hooked, how hard could it be to find it? After all we were smart, energetic,and had a lot more technology that most…haha …now, 40 years later I don’t know why it’s not been found, but not from lack of trying. I live outside ofCincinnati, so I don't get there as often as I did when I lived near Portsmouth Ohio. I would be interested in contributing to your effort. I am planning to be in that area next weekend or the one following, going to show some T-netfriends some of the stuff I have found, and the starting place for the"Way Bill" mines....Just PM me if needed.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread