Alternate possible Swift Legend locations.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking through some of my research . I have read Collins history of Ky, but has anyone ever heard of these maps I have circled in this pic? If they are from 1793 they would be some of the oldest sources attesting to the mines. View attachment 1778056

That map has been posted on here before, it is really arbitrary as described. Somewhere in the region of the head waters of the Sandy, and the North and Middle forks of the KY. Roughly speaking, Paintsville to Prestonsburg area on a modern map. I think the map said something like 'reputed silver mine'. The map is not accurate like most of that era and there is no dot on the map to mark the spot either. This is probably the same location Col. Harrod went to look for the mines and where he disappeared "around the forks of the KY river"...Beattyville, KY is near Lower Devil's Creek (S:J:M rock) and the Forks of the KY river, it was also a crossroads of Indian Traces running N-S (into the Red River Gorge Area) and E-W probably toward the Sandy (E) and the Indian Old Fields near Winchester, KY (W). Either of these could/would have been used by Swift.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people ask me why I like the Red River Gorge so much and visit there so often to hike and camp, this video will put into pictures a section of the area. It happens to be adjacent to an area talked about from time to time in these threads and some have thought this particular area might be where Swift mined silver or passed through because of the natural pathway that was once a trace near here. You will see a prominent rock formation called Courthouse Rock that has the 'shape of the half moon in it'. Below the cliff line can be seen Haystack rock and off in the distance across the Red River to the North is Indian Creek which leads Northward to Frenchburg, KY and Cave Run Lake area (Beaver Creek). The thin ridge you will see with a trail on it is sometimes called the Devil's Backbone. The sheer cliffs range from 100-200 feet almost straight down. Everything you see in the distance is D.Boone Nat'l Forest area, this is a small section of the RRG in this video.

I think I have posted this one before, this video is of Rock Bridge and Creation Falls. This natural arch over Swift Camp Creek is the only known arch in KY that spans a creek. This is about 2-3 miles South of where Rebeca Timmins searched for Swift's Silver Mine on Swift Camp Creek.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people ask me why I like the Red River Gorge so much and visit there so often to hike and camp, this video will put into pictures a section of the area. It happens to be adjacent to an area talked about from time to time in these threads and some have thought this particular area might be where Swift mined silver or passed through because of the natural pathway that was once a trace near here. You will see a prominent rock formation called Courthouse Rock that has the 'shape of the half moon in it'. Below the cliff line can be seen Haystack rock and off in the distance across the Red River to the North is Indian Creek which leads Northward to Frenchburg, KY and Cave Run Lake area (Beaver Creek). The thin ridge you will see with a trail on it is sometimes called the Devil's Backbone. The sheer cliffs range from 100-200 feet almost straight down. Everything you see in the distance is D.Boone Nat'l Forest area, this is a small section of the RRG in this video.

I think I have posted this one before, this video is of Rock Bridge and Creation Falls. This natural arch over Swift Camp Creek is the only known arch in KY that spans a creek. This is about 2-3 miles South of where Rebeca Timmins searched for Swift's Silver Mine on Swift Camp Creek.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sky Bridge in the RRGorge sits high above the mouth of Swift Camp Creek at the Red River. A paved path from the parking lot leads to the top of this arch. Many think this could have been the arch they saw the setting sun through as mentioned in some journals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This area is called Indian Stairway in the Red River Gorge but it is doubtful that it is the same one mentioned in the Swift Journal. I believe the one mentioned in the journal is/was on Rock Bridge Trail. It was altered in the 1930's and later when the CCC was active in the area. You can still walk up and down this area of the trail to the Swift Camp Creek junction with Rock Bridge Loop trails. Horses/mules would never have made the climb you see in this video, those steps are much too steep to be the ones described in the journal.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of the supposed places where Boone and Fenley, first set their eyes on the Bluegrass section of Kentucky. There are three or maybe four places that claim to be the spot in the state. Even with factual information of the pioneer era of our country, and contemporaries with Swift, no one knows exactly if this is the place or not. How much harder would it be to find a salt keg sized hole in the Eastern section of the state?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swift small stuff.JPG While on the subject of alternate locations....Swifts mines may have been found In Log mountain not far from the Cumberland Gap...then again?

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1804360 While on the subject of alternate locations....Swifts mines may have been found In Log mountain not far from the Cumberland Gap...then again?

I checked into that one some years ago, seems it is surrounded by strip mines on the latest topo map I could find of the area. Never was able to get down that way to check it out personally though. There was another mountain on SE side of Pine Mt. with a similar claim, forgot it's name...Someone on here posted a story about long hunters on a mountain in the same region during Winter, seems that mountain never got snow covered like the others did and they found silver on it...seemed a stretch to me.

https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?l...3&zoom=8&map=auto&coord=d&mode=zoomout&size=m

LogMountainsKY.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Breaks Interstate Park and Elkhorn area are full of Swift Legend stories and searchers. This video shows the prospector trail in that area. May be of interest to those who have never been through that area.

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff. Ive been hiking in the Breaks for years. We use to do a lot of seaching around the towers. lots of interesting things there. Also the east end of elkhorn is a great searching place too. Pine Mountain Trail goes all the way from Elkhorn to Birch Knob VA and beyond, along a GREAT RIDGE. Lots of caves along the way

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff. Ive been hiking in the Breaks for years. We use to do a lot of seaching around the towers. lots of interesting things there. Also the east end of elkhorn is a great searching place too. Pine Mountain Trail goes all the way from Elkhorn to Birch Knob VA and beyond, along a GREAT RIDGE. Lots of caves along the way

I have often considered Pine Mt. as the Great ridge too, would line up with Bill Gibson's find in Pigeon Water Cave. It is such a massive area, I think it would take a life time of spare time to walk/search both sides and all the elevations of Pine Mt. ! It is laced with caves too. Gives credence to the stories in Elkhorn also, all fall right into place through there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread