Alternate possible Swift Legend locations.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That VA park tunnel certainly fits the visual description of 'Great' Shawnee cave.

How about some pictures of monument stones, cliffs shaped as half moons, or Indian stair steps?

Please share...

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got something else for you through out all the eastern states there is what is called mechanical breaks some go completly through the mountain most are open over head some are not i have seen many over the years have seen some that had side breaks and would be very easy to stash and conceal by closeing the break with debree around the break it would look natural mabey this could actually be referred to in swift legend not really being a cave at all

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got something else for you through out all the eastern states there is what is called mechanical breaks some go completly through the mountain most are open over head some are not i have seen many over the years have seen some that had side breaks and would be very easy to stash and conceal by closeing the break with debree around the break it would look natural mabey this could actually be referred to in swift legend not really being a cave at all

Would these be extensions of existing faults or something different? What would cause them, earthquakes?

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that this park is near or on the wilderness road. Video shows what a 'block house' looked like... I might have to put this on my to visit list.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us can't do all the research. We need to rely on others and build upon what they have learned. Once a year we can go and experience hands on what it was like generations before us. It is one thing to read a book or article but to see and touch and watch how things were made is another. This video, shot in the Red River Gorge, is a unique experience that can add to anyone's research into the Swift era and beyond. Both pioneer and native cultural experiences can be found here along the Red River and Gladie Creek. Even some genuine Cherokee insight can be had, put it on your calender for next year. Just 3 miles down stream from Swift Camp Creek.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mechanical breaks were caused during the mountain building process many thousands of years ago these are prevalent in all the eastern states it all relates to the senario i described in the geology theory i posted in another thread

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these places remotely close to the Sandy River mentioned in most of the journals ?

I refer you back to the title of the thread, these are possible alternate locations based on descriptions in various journals. I never said these were near or along any other landmark. I was hoping others that knew of spots that 'looked' liked descriptions in the journals could and would post pictures or videos. The trouble with many of the places described in the journals is there are similar areas throughout the region.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is in the Blueridge region of VA but could have inspired the cave story portion of the Swift legend as this cave goes through the mountain it is on.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this video interview of a VA native who has Indian heritage he mentions Wise County and 'of course there is a lot of gold and silver there '. Other interesting things are recalled of that region of the state. It seems funny to hear someone say this in passing as if it were common knowledge...

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came across this today and it reminded me of a conversation on here somewhere.... about Mill Creek near Natural Bridge S.P. I think it was between Boomer and Ki and an article that said gold or silver was found on Mill Creek. Anyway, they mentioned it was all dammed up now and you probably couldn't find anything due to the water. Well here is a video of what that area looks like nowadays.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this video interview of a VA native who has Indian heritage he mentions Wise County and 'of course there is a lot of gold and silver there '. Other interesting things are recalled of that region of the state. It seems funny to hear someone say this in passing as if it were common knowledge...

Guess this video got pulled because they mentioned silver mines? ...Part one at the one hour three minute mark he mentions gold and silver were in Floyd County VA. Anyway here are the other parts of the same interview will lots of details of the same area. Great oral history and a glimpse into the Indian culture.

Last edited:

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to remember reading or someone telling me one time that the mines could be in Colorado.....Dont believe that but does anyone know where that story originated?

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to remember reading or someone telling me one time that the mines could be in Colorado.....Dont believe that but does anyone know where that story originated?

I read someone on here saying that. It is probably buried in a thread on here somewhere?

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be interesting to see the basis for that claim. Even though I feel this one is several hundred miles off ha ha, still be neat to look at why someone believes that.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking through some of my research . I have read Collins history of Ky, but has anyone ever heard of these maps I have circled in this pic? If they are from 1793 they would be some of the oldest sources attesting to the mines. 914B3003-2BF2-4A22-976E-E64FF8EF51D1.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread