j s . carveings

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guess everybody is going to think im nuts but i need to get these thoughts out for comment ,because there is not much else on here im going to open a new can of worms , i do not believe 80% of j. s, carvings were made by swift if he traveled to all the locations of carveings then took the time to cut them how did he have time to do any mineing let alone to achieve the things he said he did . it is my belief most were made by people searching for the mines they thinking that they were close to the mines they then would make carveings in other areas to lead others off or away from their search area. just a thought give me your ideas and comments thank you

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is probably closer to 90% are not authentic. For the period (18th century), Jonathan Swift initials would be carved as 'JoS' . A plain J would be John or Jeff or Jim or a hurried Jonathan...possibly. Was he in a hurry? If journals are correct, most mentions of carvings are on trees and would not take much time to do (while watering the horses maybe). Also, these same carvings mentioned were not of just Jonathan but his partners and sometimes 'others' as well. In reference to the Prather book on Swift, he owned many tracts of land in KY while still living in Alexandria, VA. It was common to mark property corners with a person's 'mark' until a proper survey could be done for submission for title to the land. But since much of the land he owned traded hands fairly quickly, those 'marks' would have been done away with by the new land owner. It is possible that Swift had a person in KY with some type of power of attorney, doing the transactions while Swift was in Alexandria running his business. This is all speculation, but possibilities none the less.
Just a guess on my part, but I doubt anyone is going to find a silver mine opening with a 'J.S.' over the entrance in KY. "All evidence of the workings was removed" which means the closest thing to be found of a furnace is going to be a scattering of rocks. And, I would bet, the entrance will have been masked by large rocks and or debris.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know of a JS carving that could well be a corner marker on one of the properties that Swift owned near Paintsville. Had I thought of it I would have taken you to see the location the day we met up in Paintsville. It is within two miles of where we met and talked. It's at the mouth of a creek, which would be consistent with the way a lot of properties were laid out in the time of Swift. It is consistent with the demonstration Prather gave at Prestonsburg also. Not Sure if the carving is still there as there has been road construction very near the site, and haven't taken time to go back and check.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a JS carving that could well be a corner marker on one of the properties that Swift owned near Paintsville. Had I thought of it I would have taken you to see the location the day we met up in Paintsville. It is within two miles of where we met and talked. It's at the mouth of a creek, which would be consistent with the way a lot of properties were laid out in the time of Swift. It is consistent with the demonstration Prather gave at Prestonsburg also. Not Sure if the carving is still there as there has been road construction very near the site, and haven't taken time to go back and check.

If there was road construction near the carving, it sounds like you could practically drive to it and save the two mile hike? Unless the road needed a culvert/drainage work the rock on a creek should be undisturbed...Maybe a hwy number and mile marker and I can check into it next time I am out that way? I have a handheld GPS with topography loaded for hiking, should be easy to check into it.

OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good to see you are ok found other sample will run soon as i can lot of rain give me a call markings on can not there hope mom ok will be talking to you would like to see that JS mabey we are on to something atleast we can go look like to see mines on lake property been pretty busy

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Doing ok and understand being busy , been same here with spring /summer coming on. Next time you're down this way we'll have a look see at something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread