KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone notice the meridian used on the Fry Map? Philadelphia, this could be the same meridian used by Swift!

Also, this map does not cover the Sandy or its headwaters as it does not cover that far West.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
On the map Hiker linked , I noticed that many of the rivers are misnamed. The Cole River which is today Big sandy is just West of the 82nd meridian And that being the case the 83rd meridian mentioned in some of the legends would be close to Grayson Lake. Also noticed that the Lousia River empties into the Cole (todays big Sandy) Which empties into the Ohio , BUT on the map it is labeled As Great Konhaway.
It would seem to me that Fry wasn't such a great map maker.
Guess anyone that wasn't familiar with the area didn't know any better. Especially back then !!

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the map Hiker linked , I noticed that many of the rivers are misnamed. The Cole River which is today Big sandy is just West of the 82nd meridian And that being the case the 83rd meridian mentioned in some of the legends would be close to Grayson Lake. Also noticed that the Lousia River empties into the Cole (todays big Sandy) Which empties into the Ohio , BUT on the map it is labeled As Great Konhaway.
It would seem to me that Fry wasn't such a great map maker.
Guess anyone that wasn't familiar with the area didn't know any better. Especially back then !!

Fry was probably as good as it gets for the time. I am fairly sure the River named Konhaway was the Kanawha, phonetically correct just a different spelling? The map seems to make more since that way although it is still littered with mistakes. New River area seems wrong for instance. As with most cartographers of that time, they don't navigate all the waterways, they assemble information from various sources and piece it together. Since in the 1750s there were not a whole lot of people settling West of the treaty boundary (Lord Halifax Line on map) it is bound to have mistakes. I think Gist did his exploration around this same time 1750ish? Pay attention to the Western edge of the map and the Guyandotte River and the Louisa River flowing into the Cole. I don't think the map goes far enough West to cover the Sandy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanawha_River

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Fry was probably as good as it gets for the time. I am fairly sure the River named Konhaway was the Kanawha, phonetically correct just a different spelling? The map seems to make more since that way although it is still littered with mistakes. New River area seems wrong for instance. As with most cartographers of that time, they don't navigate all the waterways, they assemble information from various sources and piece it together. Since in the 1750s there were not a whole lot of people settling West of the treaty boundary (Lord Halifax Line on map) it is bound to have mistakes. I think Gist did his exploration around this same time 1750ish? Pay attention to the Western edge of the map and the Guyandotte River and the Louisa River flowing into the Cole. I don't think the map goes far enough West to cover the Sandy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanawha_River

That is a great link for anyone researching Swifts travel. There is a pic on the side that shows the New River starting in N.C . where Monday lived and running through the Mtn. Range into W. Va. to help form the Kanawha which empties into the Ohio near Charleston.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
After Closer observation of the Map Hiker linked. I notice the difference in the longitude from London to Philly And realize why some thinks Swifts mines are in Colorado. If you use the Philly longitude as a starting point for Swift maps the 83rd Parallel used in the description in some of the journals might be in Colorado or even farther west.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
After more R&I if Swift went 83 degrees west of Philly it will take a dive team to find the mines , Because 83 degrees West of Philly will put you in the Pacific not on the coast but near the middle. Guess we're going to have to go to a different meridian to start from with Swifts map.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nameof levisa being first named cole river was found in lost silver mines and buried treasures of kentucky page 41 book by henson 1972

The 1755 Fry Jefferson map shows Cole River and Louisa River on the same map in different places! Henson may have been wrong on that one. If the Louisa became the Levisa River. That map also does not connect Cole to the Sandy whatsoever.

Virginia 1755 Map of the Most Inhabited part of Virginia etc, Atlas: Virginia 1755 Map of the Most Inhabited part of Virginia etc Created by Fry and Jefferson in 1751, Virginia Historical Map

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread