s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
CURRIOUS HAS ANYONE FOUND ANY INFORMATION ON THESE INDIAN TRIBES MUNDAY MENTIONS MECCAS ANDMENTIONS THEY WERE ATTACKED AT FORKS OF SANDY BY THESE INDIANS OF THE SHAWNEE TRIBE I HAVE NOT AT THIS TIME BEEN ABLE TO FIND MUCH ABOUT THEM ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS .
"Mecca Indians" were the Melungions mountion ppl of mixed race(s); native ppl, whites, blacks in SW Virginia, NE Tennessee, & NW North Carolina (WV is sometimes included).

OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS REBEL I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESION THEY WERE OF THE SHAWNEE TRIBE I THOUGH THE MELUNGIONS WERE OF OTHER RACES THAN INDIAN

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CURRIOUS HAS ANYONE FOUND ANY INFORMATION ON THESE INDIAN TRIBES MUNDAY MENTIONS MECCAS ANDMENTIONS THEY WERE ATTACKED AT FORKS OF SANDY BY THESE INDIANS OF THE SHAWNEE TRIBE I HAVE NOT AT THIS TIME BEEN ABLE TO FIND MUCH ABOUT THEM ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS .

Mecca = Mequa ? were probably what settlers called the Mingo tribe. They were found basically along and on each side of Pine Mt.
there was also the Yuchi around the general area of Cumberland Gap. Consider this, many tribes had sub-clans and they had names as well...maybe Mecca or Mequa was a clan name of the Shawnee tribe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecca,_Indiana

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federally_recognized_tribes_in_the_United_States

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mecca = Mequa ? were probably what settlers called the Mingo tribe. They were found basically along and on each side of Pine Mt.
there was also the Yuchi around the general area of Cumberland Gap. Consider this, many tribes had sub-clans and they had names as well...maybe Mecca or Mequa was a clan name of the Shawnee tribe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecca,_Indiana

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federally_recognized_tribes_in_the_United_States

...Sorry thats all I got, maybe the sounded name Mecca in Shawnee language may help? Or try French Mequa since the French were here prior to the English?

OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks hiker someone had told me of a tribe of mequachake indian camp in area of swift do not know much yet still have to check it out rgb1

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mostly in Knox, Powell and Breathitt Counties. They used "Flint" stones to make arrow and spear heads. They were a tribe of ManDan Indians that did not go West with the larger branches of their tribes. They also mined silver.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Mostly in Knox, Powell and Breathitt Counties. They used "Flint" stones to make arrow and spear heads. They were a tribe of ManDan Indians that did not go West with the larger branches of their tribes. They also mined silver.
Weren't they "Irish-related"...?

OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks good info

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Welsh are not Celtic, Irish and Scottish are Celtic. The Welsh claim their roots back to Troy and even further to one of the lost tribes of Israel.

OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the old man that give me this information was91 years old this was in the 1960 s he claimed this creek below the indian camp was named by them i have no idea if this accurate just what i was told many years ago if this a mecca or meqwachake camp this might tie into swift and what mundy had told him

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The Welsh are not Celtic, Irish and Scottish are Celtic. The Welsh claim their roots back to Troy and even further to one of the lost tribes of Israel.
WRONG; "google" Welsh People; I have personally known a few of 'em at CELTIC FESTIVALS...

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WRONG; "google" Welsh People; I have personally known a few of 'em at CELTIC FESTIVALS...

That is a modern ruse about celtics. Check your Bristish history as it was known before 1700. Since 1700 they have changed it. Search Alan Wilson he has done much research on the topic. Sometime after 1700 the English tried to erase the Welsh.

Here, watch this

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the old man that give me this information was91 years old this was in the 1960 s he claimed this creek below the indian camp was named by them i have no idea if this accurate just what i was told many years ago if this a mecca or meqwachake camp this might tie into swift and what mundy had told him

What was the name of the creek?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread