OLD TRAI

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHILE DOING MORE INVESTIGATION IN KY I HAVE FOUND A TRAIL LEADING FROM THE 4 MINES I DISCOVERED IT IS VERY OLD AND APPEARS OF NO USE FOR ALONG TIME THIS LEADS SEVERAL MILES TO A GROUP OF CAVES THAT IS NOT SHOWN ON A MAP AND I ASK THE PROPERTY OWNER HE SAID HE NEW THEY WERE THERE BUT DID NOT KNOW OF ANY ONE WHO HAD BEEN IN THEM HE GAVE ME PERMISSION TO INVESTIGATE THIS APPEARS TO BE IND OF TRAIL DID NOT HAVE TIME IT WAS GETTING DARK TOLD HIM I WOULD BE BACK WE WILL INVESTAGATE NEXT WINTER WHEN I HAVE THE TIME

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that many settlers used rock houses and caves as temporary homes until they could clear land and build a cabin. Also, some kept their livestock there as well. Some stories I read of long hunters using them as well as D. Boone, fine protection from the elements. Good luck, maybe you have found a connection to the legend! By the way, can you describe the 'trail'...is it wide, flat, any evidence of deer using it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRAIL IS ABOUT 3 TO 4 FEET WIDE ABOUT 8 TO 10 INCHES DEEP NOT A DEER TRAIL AND DISH SHAPED I HAVESEEN MANY DEER TRAILS AS I DID HUNT YEARS AGO NO DEER TRACKS THIS TRAIL ONLY GOES FROM MINE AREA TO CAVE AREA AND ENDS AT CAVES HAVE CHECKED BOTH ENDS DO NOT KNOW IF IT TIES INTO MINES OR NOT IT DOES APPEAR TO BUT UNTIL PROVEN DO NOT WANT TO SPECULATE

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRAIL IS ABOUT 3 TO 4 FEET WIDE ABOUT 8 TO 10 INCHES DEEP NOT A DEER TRAIL AND DISH SHAPED I HAVESEEN MANY DEER TRAILS AS I DID HUNT YEARS AGO NO DEER TRACKS THIS TRAIL ONLY GOES FROM MINE AREA TO CAVE AREA AND ENDS AT CAVES HAVE CHECKED BOTH ENDS DO NOT KNOW IF IT TIES INTO MINES OR NOT IT DOES APPEAR TO BUT UNTIL PROVEN DO NOT WANT TO SPECULATE

3-4ft wide is not a cart/wagon road, sounds very similar in depth and width of a trace I found in RRGorge. Good way to judge its age since being used is the size of trees growing in the actual path. Hope this turns out to be a good lead for you. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread