Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Jun 2007
    1386 times

Re: John Swifts Lost Silver Mines (carvings)

From the ABOVE "post"... that is EXACTLY why I think Mike should be PREZ of the SM,I B.O.D., and YOU... C.E.O., as you two seem to have established TRUST; it is the KEY "factor"/"element" in THing, partnership, TEAM work. SWIFT MINES TEAM... TOGETHER, EACH ACHIEVE MORE... T.E.A.M.

us
    Feb 2006
    VA
    MP 3 Pro Digital
    9 times

Rebel, any time you want to come down and trek through the mountains with me - simply LMK! Believe it or not, I cannot get anyone to go around here (that I trust that is - I had some people e-mail me from Haysi and Pound - they wanted to tell me when they would be down, when we would go and sounded as if they wanted to take over MY search!). Well, more power to those guys - they can find things the HARD WAY, like I did!

My better half went with me a few times. In fact, we found a HUGE furnace (which I have pics of). However, after two or three times going out and not finding silver, Heather quit going with me - said it wasn't worth it. Plus, we did get stuck on top of a mountain and I had to pay a wrecker service $150 to get me out the next day (after we had to walk off the top of the mountain in the dark!).
    REV 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

us
    Feb 2006
    VA
    MP 3 Pro Digital
    9 times

Going through JL's original post above (it all runs together and I have never read through it all until now), the BIGGEST rock landmarks he omitted were the Turtle Back Rock and Chestnut Burr Rock. I have found the TB Rock, Lighthouse Rock (which IS West of the mines) and several other landmarks.

One mistake I noticed is JL listed a rock leaning against a clift. Well, Swift never mentioned this. He mentioned a two rocks leaning together with a creek flowing under them that is near the rockhouse he stayed in (which is 100 yards above the furnace rockhouse). I have pics of this as well! The only thing is the creek has dried up that runs into furnace creek below the rockhouse, but one can clearly make out the rocks and old creek bed.

Also the circle carving on a flat rock is NOT near the mines - this happened when Swift had to bury some crowns on his journey back home and is 4-5 days away from the mines.

Also, a lot of the other carvings JL mentions, Swift did NOT. These are probably carvings from the Indians, French, Spanish, moonshiners, etc. But, NOT Swift!

Bottom Line - If ANYONE says they found Swift's Mine, and do NOT mention seeing a Chestnut Burr Rock that is right above the mine, the mine/cave they found is NOT Swift's! THIS is the key! As soon as I find the rich mine (and I am REAL CLOSE - just dread trecking through the rough steep country on my bad leg and hip), I will write my book and include a pic of the Chestnut Burr Rock. This landmark will be the definitive proof for anyone finding Swift's rich mine! I was planning to put the furnace waterfall on the cover of my book, as it is beautiful. However, the Chestnut Burr Rock might be a good pic for the cover as well!
    REV 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Jun 2007
    1386 times

Yo! NOW... is the time to look for the "old roads", etc. while the leaves are down, etc.... the snakes/bears are "behaving" by "sleeping" (LOL); I have been to Pound, Grundy, etc... Breaks State Park, etc. and appreciate the "invite", SS; I am in Lynchburg, Virginia, and ANOTHER THer," beale", has MORE experience looking for the Swift Mine(s), and would be a BETTER choice of a "hunter"... I am JUST a researcher (thus... ALL the "resources", I have "posted" to help ALL of you...). Based on my "research", I think "Swift" et. al. were Pirates/Privateers. who bought their loot (Spanish SILVER coins, etc.) back to the mountains with "hidden furnaces" to melt 'em down in SMELTERS to make counterfeit "state coinage", which WAS illeglal and caused confusion in those days, hence the FEDS stepped in, and then had the "FIRST" US MINT in New Orleans. I ALSO think that SOME of these Pirates/Privateers were descended from "sea-faring" Knight Templars of "olden days", and later sea-farers were FREEMASONS, hence the "square & compass" "marks",etc. on stones/trees, etc. The time-period is abount correct, late 1770's, early 1800's... I DO NOT think that there were silver mines from the "Indians"... I think the Mine(s) were just "Depositories" for illegal coinage done by the SECOND Entrepreneurs in US History; John Rolfe was the FIRST... with the tobacco that "saved" the Jamestown '"Brit" Colony. 8)

Jan 2008

I know that lots of Kentucky searchers have sought a carving of a gun or rifle on a rock and, about 10 years ago, I found and photographed one. Can't tell you guys where it is but might consider sharing a photo of it. The only problem is that is in an area that is literally covered with Swift and Munday carvings, so many so that it is confusing. But the site is smack dab in the center of one of the "southern" or "western" mine
    legends.

Also, I've updated my Swift research and might be able to answer some questions that go beyond
    my book.

Let's year from you.

Mike Steely

us
    Feb 2006
    VA
    MP 3 Pro Digital
    9 times

Rebel, if you are right, I need to be out opening up the first mine and West mine I have already found - if they were depositories that is! I have to disagree with you on this one, as I believe Swift was a miner and did mine old Shawnee mines. That is the reason I haven't opened up the mines - too much digging to get to a mine where you would have to mine ore in the middle of nowhere. Plus in this area, Penn VA owns all the mineral rights, so you would be SOL anyway. I can tell you that Swift and his crew were melting a LOT of Silver. I spoke with my friend (who is coming in to look for the Great Cave with me next week) and was telling him about the HUGE FURNACE I found in this area near the forks of two creeks (actually, I have been at that furnace about 3 or 4 times). Anyway, it completely dwarfs the one pictured in Henson's book on page 51 by about 50 times or more!

Mr. Steely is right about Swift and these markings - in one journal he did state to follow the trail starting at Martin's Cabin. Then, if on the right path, one will find several trees and rocks with various markings. I believe I posted the pic of the old half-fallen tree near the mines and furnaces on here before - that had an ancient JS carved into it, that was mossed over. I have also found some markings myself in a coupld of rockhouses - again JS, along with a dead tree near the top of a cliff (and the Indian Stairsteps) that had "GIST" carved on it! So, there are literally hundreds of "markings" in VA/KY and other states from Swift and his crew. Also, one must be aware, as Dan Graybeal and I have discussed many times on the phone, there are FAKE Swift markings around as well - Dan even told me of people he knew in the thirties that would go around marking trees and rocks, making the markings look old, to fool others.

I am glad Mr. Steely posted about the gun carved on a tree. I have never heard that one. Although, I do know the branch where a gun dating from Swift's time was found in the mid 1800's, that was in the forks of a tree and supposed to have been a marker pointing to one of Swift's mines.

I sent Mr. Steely an e-mail with the pic of Turtle Back Rock and asked him this question, since he has over a dozen journals - does anyone have a journal that gives more specific directions to the Rich Mine from Turtle Back Rock? The journals I have and others I have read all simply state that the Turtle Back Rock is "NEAR" the mine and that is it.

Jun 2007
    1386 times

OLD Th'ers "language" of "near" &"far"... NOT in terms of MILES...

Yo! A LITTLE "insight" from overhearing '' ''old-timers"... " NEAR'' is when you can "see" it from the MOUNTAIN TOP; "FAR" is when you can't "see" it (MAY be over the NEXT mountain ridge). In other words... something "far away" MAY be over the NEXT mountain ridge... AND! closer to you in today's miles... HA! ALSO, they did "things" by the "rising/setting sun"... EAST to WEST; getting THAT "bearing" for NORTH to SOUTH (like "reading" a MAP... EAST is on yer right hand... WEST is on yer left hand; you face NORTH... and yer A** is SOUTH...). Gotta be "mindful" that the EAST does change during the "seasons" of the year, especially SUMMER & WINTER; adjust "directions", accordingly...

Jun 2003
    Massachusetts
    5 times

that old dried up creek bed is of major importance. i dont believe its as dried up as you say. im quite confidant it still runs below the surface. go below to look further. kiddrock33

us
    Feb 2006
    VA
    MP 3 Pro Digital
    9 times

Rebel, it is close (at least the vicinity where I believe the rich mine to be from the location of the turtle back rock). The biggest problem for me (I have nerve damage in my back and my hip is dislocated) is the steep terrain. I was thinking if someone might have a journal with more detail, it would save a cripple like myself from walking the steep gap/knob area in search (I could go in a more direct manner). Anyway, I am CLOSE.

Kid - I think I know what you are eluding to. The creeks that flow uderground I have already found - they are West of this area, just as Swift stated - I even have a pic of that waterfall as well. This creek is right below the rockhouse 100 yards above the furnace rockhouse (just as Swift stated in several journals!). The rocks are still there leaning together over this dried up creek.

I cannot wait to put all this info and pics together in book form (which should be in the next month or so), then get this published.

us
    Jan 2007
    Pound, Virginia
    Whites XLT

"Rebel, any time you want to come down and trek through the mountains with me - simply LMK! Believe it or not, I cannot get anyone to go around here (that I trust that is - I had some people e-mail me from Haysi and Pound - they wanted to tell me when they would be down, when we would go and sounded as if they wanted to take over MY search!). Well, more power to those guys - they can find things the HARD WAY, like I did!"

Sorry if it sounded that way man. I was the one from Pound that emailed you and told you what days I was available IF YOU wanted to go. I've done my fair share of research and have alot of pics too. I live right at and have hiked ALOT of pine mountain I just figured I would give you a hand. I'm not out to make a buck on anything I find either. Good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Feb 2005
    1 times

Well, Dirtdiggler,

I offered to go with you and hadn't heard back. Of course, that's your choice. I know Pine Mountain as good as anybody else, I guess. It's been my playground for over 20 years.

Cavers5

Jun 2007
    1386 times

Re: John Swifts Lost Silver Mines (carvings)... LOOK for 'em...

Yo! S.S., M.S., et al.: I can't make it down yer way, due to family obligations in the Shenandoah Valley, Va.; HOWEVER, I want to recommend a TH'er, who also have experience in looking for the S.M. AND! has experience looking for other treasures, written "books" on C.D.'s (computer), etc. He will be my "proxy", and NOW, is the time to look, while the leaves are down (and "slimy" wild things ...). He knows that I will recommend him, and will be "watching" this site. "beale" is his "nick"/username. hh & good luck!!

us
    Feb 2006
    VA
    MP 3 Pro Digital
    9 times

DD - I don't think it was you I was referring to, especially if you e-mailed me the way you said you did. I have actually received SEVERAL e-mails from people wanting to go with me on Swift adventures. Some were nice, and some were demanding. Ralph H. from the board has been a "regular" with me out in the woods for over a year now. There were a couple who e-mailed me around the time I first conversed with Ralph who were demanding, and wanting to bring others with them. TBH, I have only shown what I have found to my family, Ralph H. and a couple National Forest Rangers who helped me obtain some National Forest Service maps I can use for my upcoming book.

The weather has been bad lately and I have been extremely busy, so I haven't gotten back out in the area of the Great Cave since Ralph H. came in and went with me. The mountains are really wet now and some of the creeks I cannot pass to get where I want to go (too bad I am crippled I guess). Again, the only things I have left to find are the Great Cave and the Rich Mine (which I haven't begun looking for yet, but have the general area down, from my other finds).

I do need regular help however, as my family hardly ever goes with me and Ralph lives in VA Beach. DD, if you would like to go sometime, feel free to e-mail me at joejackon1919@comcast.net with your phone number and the best time to call you. I figure I can give you a call and we can meet and talk at a local restraunt. Then, after I am more comfortable and feel I can trust you, you are more than welcome to go with me. BTW - I will make you the same deal I made my family, as I am NOT greedy. IF we do find a cache (at the rich mine where Swift buried one and might still be there, or the Great Cave), you can have half of what you carry out. Feel free to e-mail me anytime.

us
    Feb 2006
    VA
    MP 3 Pro Digital
    9 times

I gave my opinion on the Pigeon Water find in the other thread (that it was more than likely Cornstalk's cache from working with Swift and others). I have some other stories/theories on Pigeon Water as well that will be in my book.

I am in the process of hunting for the Great Cave myself and could use one Trustworthy person to help (I have a great friend - Ralph Hurst who helps when he can, but he lives on the coast and can't be here every search unfortunately).

I do have some good leads on the Great Cave - including an old copy of a map supposedly showing the entrance location! However, the country is rough, full of laurel and the opening is small (I figure about the size of the Rich Mine opening I found). The biggest problem is there are no clear directions, as Swift gave in finding the Rich Mine.

Like I stated to a member when he thought he found the Rich Mine (before I found it), he would know for SURE he found it IF it had the right landmarks nearby and the chestnut burr rock above the mine entrance, there is also one FACT that will let one know if he/she/they have found the Great Shawnee Cave Swift spoke of and Swift's Co.'s cache - it IS if you find the skeletons of the crew members and Indians Swift killed inside the cave near the cache. Also, more than likely, if these are gone, the cache will DEFINITELY be gone (who would move a bunch of bones and leave all that gold and silver).

Of course I know a little more than I have revealed about the Great Cave. I will tell all the members this: I have found all the cache sites Swift mentioned in his journals and they have all been dug years ago. IMHO, the ONLY gold/silver cache related to Swift still left to be found is inside the Great Cave he mentions in the journals. I still believe this has not been found and I have a few reason why that I will write about in the book.

Again Seth, feel free to e-mail me and we can start working on a friendship. I do only need ONE person to help when my fiance' and Ralph cannot however and don't want this person to reveal anything I show them or hunt these areas without me present (until we find the Great Cave and/or my book comes out and I quit searching of course). I am a very honest person and that is all I want - one honest person (who can keep a secret or two) to help me in searching for the Great Cave, as it is going to be like finding the needle in the haystack!

us
    Oct 2008

Sense this is a carvings thread I thought I would actually post a pic. How bout a cornstalk carving near the water cave?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cornstalk.jpg 
Views:	1192 
Size:	282.8 KB 
ID:	243909  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors