SWIFT MINES AND THE KGC
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree341Likes

Thread: SWIFT MINES AND THE KGC

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    rooster

Nov 2013
    s.w. Ohio
    2 whites 1 garett
    723 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

SWIFT MINES AND THE KGC

I have very limited knowledge of the kgc my question is this if the swift mines were before the kgc could the mines been discovered by the kgc and been converted to storage, if so could this account for the hostile attitude of the property ownership of the land

us
    I would rather be hiking

Oct 2014
    North Central Kentucky
    Whites
    2944 times
    Much of the 'Knowledge' of the KGC is rooted in post civil war lore. The KGC itself has become somewhat of a legend. It is possible that they scattered stashes away so the South could rise again. Many country folks I have spoken with over the years seem to think the KGC was the predecessor of the KKK during the reconstruction period. If the confederates knew of the Swift legend they could have used his locations as a source for monies needed, the South was starving and the Union blockades were working toward the end of the war...they were desperate. Question is, was the South holding the locations of Swift during the war, if the mines were/are in KY it is doubtful they could have operated very long. During the war, Cumberland Gap was fortified and held by both sides...sorry I don't remember the timeline though.
    I remember reading something about Mr. and Mrs. Timmins (before he died) having to wait after the civil war was over to start their search, someone in her family (maiden name unknown) received the journal from Swift according to her. There was...a lot of bad blood in East KY at that time, especially since the Timmins' were from Louisville where a major garrison and depot of the Union was kept (falls of the Ohio river). Not likely safe for a couple from there to be venturing into the Red River region during and right after the conflict!

Links to read through if your interested, careful it is a real rabbit hole! Just ask Rebel!

Start here with wiki...not the best but gives an overview https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight..._Golden_Circle

https://knightsofthegoldencircle.webs.com/

https://www.historicmysteries.com/kn...golden-circle/

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/trs-kgctreasure/

https://knights-of-the-golden-circle...e%20activities.

http://www.ancientlosttreasures.com/...16237&p=114561

and soooo much more... google search KGC signs and symbols for carvings and such.

I have to ask, what has lead you to this question? Still having issues with the folks at your area of interest?
    To this day, when I go down to the RRGorge the locals have some resentment towards those with Ohio license plates, they tolerate them because they spend money there...but the jokes about them continue to this day. Probably deep seeded stuff from 5 or 6 generations ago...?
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Sep 17, 2020 at 11:56 PM.
    Rebel - KGC, mrslojo, rgb1 and 2 others like this.
    I'd rather be outside and hiking .

us
    rooster

Nov 2013
    s.w. Ohio
    2 whites 1 garett
    723 times
    the reason is because they have not wanted me on there land i have been warned not to go on the land several times this goes back to the late 60s 0r early 70s its as if they are protecting something of value in these mines he was unaware of silver being there and though i was nuts to me it seems there is another reason why they protect them as you know i try to read between the lines or out of the box i like to look at things in different ways and pursue any possibility of approach
    Last edited by rgb1; Sep 19, 2020 at 08:36 PM. Reason: more explanation of question

us
    Feb 2009
    West Liberty Kentucky
    Garrett AT Max
    871 times
    Interesting question. Like you I know very little about the KGC. So little I cannot give an educated opinion ha ha. But I often wondered as well if either side during the war was looking for Swifts mines. In the 1860s the Swift mines were probably even more well known then today among mountain folk. Interesting to find any documents on searching during that time.

Here in Elliott County we of course have the Chief Joseph manuscript legend. When George Moran led his army of 8000 to 9000 troops out of the Cumberland Gap he came right up the Little Sandy and would have passed where the line of rocks are and other landmarks Of the legend. So many people in that area at once; I wonder if they ran across anything or seen markers perhaps not seen before that could have been destroyed as they passed through. I have metal detected that area a lot and have found a Union brass eagle breastplate, grapeshot, a 1787 Spanish Reale and other odds and ends in the same location Morgan traveled and where the Indian silver legends are. Just interesting to think about what they might have seen.

us
    Feb 2009
    West Liberty Kentucky
    Garrett AT Max
    871 times
    Wow I really rambled in that post lol. Sorry about that.

us
    I would rather be hiking

Oct 2014
    North Central Kentucky
    Whites
    2944 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EC.Mason View Post
    Wow I really rambled in that post lol. Sorry about that.
    Always good to hear from ya, rambling or not

us
    Feb 2009
    West Liberty Kentucky
    Garrett AT Max
    871 times
    ha ha thanks KY Hiker; good to hear from you as well.

us
    I would rather be hiking

Oct 2014
    North Central Kentucky
    Whites
    2944 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rgb1 View Post
    the reason is because they have not wanted me on there land i have been warned not to go on the land several times this goes back to the late 60s 0r early 70s its as if they are protecting something of value in these mines he was unaware of silver being there and though i was nuts to me it seems there is another reason why they protect them as you know i try to read between the lines or out of the box i like to look at things in different ways and pursue any possibility of approach
    PM'ing Rebel will probably benefit you greatly, it's probably his top interest!
    Rebel - KGC, rgb1 and mrslojo like this.

us
    Feb 2009
    West Liberty Kentucky
    Garrett AT Max
    871 times
    Yeah Rebel knows a lot about KGC. Wish I had a quarter of his knowledge on the subject.

us
    Oct 2018
    Paintsville,Ky.
    1600 times
    anything in the ground A pile of manure can be a treasure if you're gardening !!
    A possibility of hostility toward people prowling around on land in the Lawrence and Boyd county area could stim from the fact that Charles Manson was born in Ky./W.Va. Catlettsburg area and was in and out of that area numerous time while not confined in prison .
    rgb1, Rebel - KGC and mrslojo like this.
    A Little Here A Little There
    Stupid is as Stupid does !!! Forest Gump.

us
    I would rather be hiking

Oct 2014
    North Central Kentucky
    Whites
    2944 times
    Don't exactly know Manson's bio but... https://www.britannica.com/biography...20never%20know.

...says he was born in Cinci and later lived in WVA before he started his cult out West. Sad case of not having a father and mother to raise him I guess? hmm...
    Rebel - KGC, mrslojo and rgb1 like this.

us
    Oct 2015
    Eastern, KY
    193 times
    I don't know much about the KGC either. Just small stories here and there. I do believe they could've been a connection to the swift mines/legend lots of people in those same areas as the stories. One of my close friends a retired school teacher Mr. Matney knows about everything to deal with the KGC. He use to go to all the swift buff meetings over the years. He's been researching swift and the KGC 50+ years

us
    Oct 2018
    Paintsville,Ky.
    1600 times
    anything in the ground A pile of manure can be a treasure if you're gardening !!
    What I was saying was from talking with some of the locals in that area. Story goes he wanted in the beginning to start his escapade in the area of Ky./W.Va. border for the privacy the area afforded.
    mrslojo, Rebel - KGC and rgb1 like this.
    A Little Here A Little There
    Stupid is as Stupid does !!! Forest Gump.

us
    I would rather be hiking

Oct 2014
    North Central Kentucky
    Whites
    2944 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rgb1 View Post
    Was re-reading this, and trying to put myself in the land owners shoes. I live on and own a roughly 5 acre patch of woods. I would not want people 'searching' for anything on that little spec of land without me being present or directly with them while they are doing it. First thing is, if they get hurt it opens up a possible law suit for their injuries. Secondly, I would want a share of anything found on my land as it is 'my land'.

Keep in mind, the KGC were at their peak in the mid 1800s. Eastern KY was a big producer of iron, wood and coal. Caves and rock houses were good sources of niter during the War of 1812. Resources all necessary to both sides during the civil war as well. If soldiers from either side were 'looking' for any of these resources they could have come across and/or destroyed any evidence of Swift workings or caches.
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Nov 18, 2020 at 09:44 AM.
    Rebel - KGC and rgb1 like this.

Jun 2007
    15603 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrslojo View Post
    I don't know much about the KGC either. Just small stories here and there. I do believe they could've been a connection to the swift mines/legend lots of people in those same areas as the stories. One of my close friends a retired school teacher Mr. Matney knows about everything to deal with the KGC. He use to go to all the swift buff meetings over the years. He's been researching swift and the KGC 50+ years
    And...?
    KY Hiker likes this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links