KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much of the 'Knowledge' of the KGC is rooted in post civil war lore. The KGC itself has become somewhat of a legend. It is possible that they scattered stashes away so the South could rise again. Many country folks I have spoken with over the years seem to think the KGC was the predecessor of the KKK during the reconstruction period. If the confederates knew of the Swift legend they could have used his locations as a source for monies needed, the South was starving and the Union blockades were working toward the end of the war...they were desperate. Question is, was the South holding the locations of Swift during the war, if the mines were/are in KY it is doubtful they could have operated very long. During the war, Cumberland Gap was fortified and held by both sides...sorry I don't remember the timeline though.
I remember reading something about Mr. and Mrs. Timmins (before he died) having to wait after the civil war was over to start their search, someone in her family (maiden name unknown) received the journal from Swift according to her. There was...a lot of bad blood in East KY at that time, especially since the Timmins' were from Louisville where a major garrison and depot of the Union was kept (falls of the Ohio river). Not likely safe for a couple from there to be venturing into the Red River region during and right after the conflict!

Links to read through if your interested, careful it is a real rabbit hole! Just ask Rebel!

Start here with wiki...not the best but gives an overview https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle

https://knightsofthegoldencircle.webs.com/

https://www.historicmysteries.com/knights-of-the-golden-circle/

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/trs-kgctreasure/

https://knights-of-the-golden-circl...nd was involved in many subversive activities.

http://www.ancientlosttreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16237&p=114561

and soooo much more... google search KGC signs and symbols for carvings and such.

I have to ask, what has lead you to this question? Still having issues with the folks at your area of interest?
To this day, when I go down to the RRGorge the locals have some resentment towards those with Ohio license plates, they tolerate them because they spend money there...but the jokes about them continue to this day. Probably deep seeded stuff from 5 or 6 generations ago...?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the reason is because they have not wanted me on there land i have been warned not to go on the land several times this goes back to the late 60s 0r early 70s its as if they are protecting something of value in these mines he was unaware of silver being there and though i was nuts to me it seems there is another reason why they protect them as you know i try to read between the lines or out of the box i like to look at things in different ways and pursue any possibility of approach

Last edited:

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting question. Like you I know very little about the KGC. So little I cannot give an educated opinion ha ha. But I often wondered as well if either side during the war was looking for Swifts mines. In the 1860s the Swift mines were probably even more well known then today among mountain folk. Interesting to find any documents on searching during that time.

Here in Elliott County we of course have the Chief Joseph manuscript legend. When George Moran led his army of 8000 to 9000 troops out of the Cumberland Gap he came right up the Little Sandy and would have passed where the line of rocks are and other landmarks Of the legend. So many people in that area at once; I wonder if they ran across anything or seen markers perhaps not seen before that could have been destroyed as they passed through. I have metal detected that area a lot and have found a Union brass eagle breastplate, grapeshot, a 1787 Spanish Reale and other odds and ends in the same location Morgan traveled and where the Indian silver legends are. Just interesting to think about what they might have seen.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the reason is because they have not wanted me on there land i have been warned not to go on the land several times this goes back to the late 60s 0r early 70s its as if they are protecting something of value in these mines he was unaware of silver being there and though i was nuts to me it seems there is another reason why they protect them as you know i try to read between the lines or out of the box i like to look at things in different ways and pursue any possibility of approach

PM'ing Rebel will probably benefit you greatly, it's probably his top interest!

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
A possibility of hostility toward people prowling around on land in the Lawrence and Boyd county area could stim from the fact that Charles Manson was born in Ky./W.Va. Catlettsburg area and was in and out of that area numerous time while not confined in prison .

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about the KGC either. Just small stories here and there. I do believe they could've been a connection to the swift mines/legend lots of people in those same areas as the stories. One of my close friends a retired school teacher Mr. Matney knows about everything to deal with the KGC. He use to go to all the swift buff meetings over the years. He's been researching swift and the KGC 50+ years

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
What I was saying was from talking with some of the locals in that area. Story goes he wanted in the beginning to start his escapade in the area of Ky./W.Va. border for the privacy the area afforded.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Was re-reading this, and trying to put myself in the land owners shoes. I live on and own a roughly 5 acre patch of woods. I would not want people 'searching' for anything on that little spec of land without me being present or directly with them while they are doing it. First thing is, if they get hurt it opens up a possible law suit for their injuries. Secondly, I would want a share of anything found on my land as it is 'my land'.

Keep in mind, the KGC were at their peak in the mid 1800s. Eastern KY was a big producer of iron, wood and coal. Caves and rock houses were good sources of niter during the War of 1812. Resources all necessary to both sides during the civil war as well. If soldiers from either side were 'looking' for any of these resources they could have come across and/or destroyed any evidence of Swift workings or caches.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I don't know much about the KGC either. Just small stories here and there. I do believe they could've been a connection to the swift mines/legend lots of people in those same areas as the stories. One of my close friends a retired school teacher Mr. Matney knows about everything to deal with the KGC. He use to go to all the swift buff meetings over the years. He's been researching swift and the KGC 50+ years
And...? :dontknow:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe the Swift Treasure is more in line with Ancient Silver Mines by the Welsh and their Indian Companions. There were 70,000 or more Welsh came to this continent in AD 574 aboard 700 ships. Now that is a fact. They had cities and fortifications all over what is now America. They build over 100,000 burial mounds. You will never guess who brought them over and they were their leaders. One of them is buried at Bat Creek, TN and his brother and father and all his kin before him are buried in Wales. Their Kingdom spread from Nova Scotia to Florida and Texas and out West to Arizona and Montana. Now this is Fact.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fact? I dunno, but lots of evidence backing up that theory. Alan Wilson is probably one of the biggest proponents of that idea. Seems that it all started with a glancing blow from a comet passing over the British Isles from the NNE toward the SSW. Basically set the areas it passed over on fire. The Welsh, it seems, were forced to find new lands for 7-11 years...until the lands could heal themselves. If it sounds vaguely familiar it is the basis to the King Arthur legend. Yep, King Arthur in KY...imagine that!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fact? I dunno, but lots of evidence backing up that theory. Alan Wilson is probably one of the biggest proponents of that idea. Seems that it all started with a glancing blow from a comet passing over the British Isles from the NNE toward the SSW. Basically set the areas it passed over on fire. The Welsh, it seems, were forced to find new lands for 7-11 years...until the lands could heal themselves. If it sounds vaguely familiar it is the basis to the King Arthur legend. Yep, King Arthur in KY...imagine that!

Yes and King Arthur's brother's son was the next King of Glamorgan and Ghent and he was born in this country. I have one of their "Whorls" that was found in Nicholas County, Kentucky. I had it authenticated. It has four Awen symbols on it, just like the "Whorls" found in the City of Troy that are now in the British Museum. There is one other I know about and it is in a Museum in Louisville, Kentucky. They mined silver, gold, copper and coal all over this country. Alan Wilson is the brightest light shining on Earth at the present time.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread