Mine Reported Discoverd in Menefee County

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Two things to consider, First I have no idea what an official assay would look like from the 1930s when FDR was confiscating everyone's gold and silver and who was available to do them at that time. It was illegal to own certain precious metals during the depression as I recall from my high school American History class.
Secondly, it was my understanding that much of the material presented in that thread was someone else's previous research, maybe they typed from notes of original docs?...I don't know. It does call into question it's validity...but again I don't think those were claimed to be original documents. I was looking at it as far as face value vs. your comment about no silver mine in Menefee County and your thoughts, thanks.

Original Post quoted below

" Thought I’d share

Hope you all are doing well. About 15 years ago I got connected with a man named Worley Charles from Olive Hill. He had searched for the Swift Mines all his life. Anyways he allowed me to copy all his notes and stories. He recently passed a year or so back so thought I’d share a few things. Curtis and others interested in the Waybill will be interested in this first document. It is a contract for prospecting and mining silver on the Skaggs farm on Skaggs Flat which is right on top of the Waybill area. I’ll past some more things as I go through these notes. " E.C. Mason

First of all, I've never stated "no silver mine in Menifee County". You do have a point on the "assay", the text does say "this copied from the original". Again, I'll revert back to the other points I made about the "assay". FWIW, selling Silver Stocks was one on the biggest nationwide scams that proliferated the United States in the '30's, many examples of Kentuckians going to jail for it.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right then. I was hoping for some insight, since I am only aware of you and KI living in that general area. KI seems to have left these forums. Thanks though.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a J.L. Napier in the Newspapers around Lexington, Kentucky from 1903 till 1926. He had a son killed in 1919 sleigh riding.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
All right then. I was hoping for some insight, since I am only aware of you and KI living in that general area. KI seems to have left these forums. Thanks though.

Ki departed a long time ago, much like all the others that have been on here. Lot's of clues found but nothing in the end. We hear a lot of claims, see lots of pictures from folks here but we never see any actual evidence that mining or extraction took place. As far as I know, I'm the only one that has ever submitted images (2016), taken from inside a rock shelter, that show actual proof of "mining". To be fair, I'm not sure if mining took place but with all the drill holes in that shelter, something was going on and it wasn't providing rock for a local road project. There's an old newspaper article that I've been able to directly tie to the shelter that indicates "some tools were found" in it. Fortunately, I found the article before a member of this forum added his own words to it and posted it lol. There were no "money making tools" mentioned in the archived article.

Personally, I don't have much faith in the John Swift legend but I do enjoy stomping around in rock shelters. I'm always willing to lend a hand to anyone interested in the area.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ki departed a long time ago, much like all the others that have been on here. Lot's of clues found but nothing in the end. We hear a lot of claims, see lots of pictures from folks here but we never see any actual evidence that mining or extraction took place. As far as I know, I'm the only one that has ever submitted images (2016), taken from inside a rock shelter, that show actual proof of "mining". To be fair, I'm not sure if mining took place but with all the drill holes in that shelter, something was going on and it wasn't providing rock for a local road project. There's an old newspaper article that I've been able to directly tie to the shelter that indicates "some tools were found" in it. Fortunately, I found the article before a member of this forum added his own words to it and posted it lol. There were no "money making tools" mentioned in the archived article.

Personally, I don't have much faith in the John Swift legend but I do enjoy stomping around in rock shelters. I'm always willing to lend a hand to anyone interested in the area.

I will be down that way this Summer. May send you a PM when I get ready to come down. We can look some of the area over together if you would like. Or you can give me some pointers and I will check it out.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I will be down that way this Summer. May send you a PM when I get ready to come down. We can look some of the area over together if you would like. Or you can give me some pointers and I will check it out.

Be glad to help, your choice, I realize some people like to work alone, I'm ok with that.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be glad to help, your choice, I realize some people like to work alone, I'm ok with that.

Does not bother me either way. Too old too worry. I just go and do it these days. If I lose a treasure no big deal. There are thousands more to find.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KI did post pictures of his find, and later deleted them from this site...either for his or the land owners protection I assume. I think his last post was about a year or so ago, sometime after doing some TV show as I recall. Don't want to cause any friction between us, I thought your post was inferring no silver mines. Have you ever hiked down Corner Ridge into the Gladie Creek/ Salt Fork area? I have found some sandstone in that creek bed that had been exposed to some very high temps (much hotter than a campfire).

I am unlike most who patronize this web site. I am not looking for treasure, my interest in the historical aspects of the legend. Finding those nuggets of truth the legend is based upon. I do not care if 1% or 100% of the legend is true...I just want to find the historical significance of Swift as it pertains to KY history.

SwiftTombstone.jpg

This for instance, could fly in the face of those who say Swift died in Lexington around 1800. The question is, were there two men with the same name 20+ years apart in the KY mountains? Dunno...

Last edited:

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
book should be out sometime in early 22 its been a very trying experience

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KI did post pictures of his find, and later deleted them from this site...either for his or the land owners protection I assume. I think his last post was about a year or so ago, sometime after doing some TV show as I recall. Don't want to cause any friction between us, I thought your post was inferring no silver mines. Have you ever hiked down Corner Ridge into the Gladie Creek/ Salt Fork area? I have found some sandstone in that creek bed that had been exposed to some very high temps (much hotter than a campfire).

I am unlike most who patronize this web site. I am not looking for treasure, my interest in the historical aspects of the legend. Finding those nuggets of truth the legend is based upon. I do not care if 1% or 100% of the legend is true...I just want to find the historical significance of Swift as it pertains to KY history.

View attachment 1898270

This for instance, could fly in the face of those who say Swift died in Lexington around 1800. The question is, were there two men with the same name 20+ years apart in the KY mountains? Dunno...

Neither of those two Swifts would have been old enough for the excursions into Kentucky in the 1760's.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither of those two Swifts would have been old enough for the excursions into Kentucky in the 1760's.

Actually the Sr. Swift on the gravestone did own properties in KY, he is buried in the Alexandria, VA area...one must look at both sides of the coin. Either find facts that fit the journal's descriptions which people have been doing for far to long IMO or flip to the other side and make the connections the other way. With all of the versions of journals out there one must deduce most, if not all, are wrong. If some lucky soul had in their hands say...some 20 or so of the 30 some odd versions floating around they could find all the commonalities between them and use that information as a basis or core to work with. Since M.P. Henson is no longer with us the probability of that happening is slim.
What I am getting at is this, the Jonathon Swift that lived in Alexandria, VA and owned various large tracts of land in KY is the Swift the legend is based upon IMO, even if the time frame is wrong...the name and the place of origin are correct. That same Swift was part owner in an importing company (merchant) and lived in a house that backed up to the water and docks in Alexandria. His father-in-law was Daniel Roberdeau, a Rev. war vet who owned a merchant company that operated as a privateer during the war years. Daniel Roberdeau also secured a lead mine in Western PA. by building a fort during that war to supply the war effort using his own money. All of this is in Mr. Prather's book, it is worth the read.
I always try to look at things from different angles, obviously people have been making mistakes reading these journals through the years by taking things too literally. Again, this is in my opinion...also, until someone can find another documented Jonathan Swift in KY between 1750 and 1790 this one will have to be the one the legend is based upon. My interest is in the history and facts the legend is based on, did he have a mine? was he actually mining silver or was he mining lead and silver was a bi product of the operation? These are kind of questions I'm looking answers for.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread