2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sol Mullins is the first one that comes to mind .i know there were several more but the names escape me right at the minute. i think Sol was in Pine Mtn. area Ky/ Va border maybe. hewasyears after Swift time if I understand it right.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story of 'contained more silver than those made by the US mint' has been attributed to 3 or 4 counterfeiters that I recall reading about. I even think one version of the Swift legend claims he was on trial for being a counterfeiter as well. Mullins was one story, there was one story on or around the Licking River as well.
Also there was a counter story to the legend I read that was supposed to take place down near Cumberland Gap. Story was a small group was counterfeiting silver coins in that area, you brought them 1 real silver coin and they would make 3. One for their payment while you got 2 for 1...the story went on that the Swift legend was their 'cover' story and a sort of password to get to the group. I don't remember what they used for filler to alloy the coin. It, like everything else related to the legend is nothing but heresay.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
There was another later than Swift time. laken or Lyken not sure of the spelling. if i remember correctly he was in the Grayson/ Greenup area.

OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys i have found 4 or 5 others also

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reference to the counterfeiting was in the Swift book by Michael Paul Henson. Not sure if he tells where he got that information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread