Anyone search OLD ATHENS, Claiborne Parish?

Mar 5, 2009
Hi ya'll I am from Southeast Texas, and I was doing some family research when I lived in Dallas and I found a ghost town (it has a church though, but thats it as far as I saw) called Old Athens. Travelling east from Dallas your pass Bossier City, and it is right near there. I actually found the church (Old Athens Baptist Church) well kept, and had my Webb ancestors there, but it was off the road. I had general directions and I figured I would wing it and stop at a gas station as ask. There was no gas station, no real roads, no nothing, except this well kept church.

My grandfather says that he went back and found the plantation that his grandfather owned. Someone was paying taxes on it but did not own it, because of some huge title issues or something. Anyway, I would go back in a second with my son -we just got a Garrett 250, but my car is 10 years old and that place was hard to find and not a place that a woman and a child should go alone, in my opinion. I had four trucks come to check me out within five minutes of driving up to the cemetery and although no one said anything I wondered what would happen if they stopped me from getting back in my car. (LESSON:Take others with you). If there was one old plantation up there, obviously there must be more, and as much as it pains me to tell someone else this info, I know that I am not going to have the time or money to drive back up there. Look up Old Athens. I dont know where the Webb plantation was, but my grandfather found it just by asking. I would love to know if there was something there. Also, if you take a look at the cemetery, there were other prominent citizens, and someone may know where their houses stood or still stand.

Good luck!. Please let me know if you find anything! I will have to live vicariously!

Dana

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Athens was actually one of the 1st larger towns in north LA along with Sparta, Vienna, Vernon, Trenton and Fort Miro. The old church you were looking at is actually the new location , since around 1885ish... It was about a1/2 mile down the road before it was relocated to its current location. We once had a metal detecting club over there and actually had a club hunt in that church yard. The club would buy silver coins with club drives and membership dues and plant the coins in the ground. Thing is, one of the guys found a gold dollar during the hunt and come to find out it wasn't one of the coins planted for the club hunt. Wow, the detectors were swinging for hours after that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread