Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Nov 2007
    Pride, Louisiana

City Park Hunting Outlawed in Baton Rouge

Well folks I got kicked out of my tax supported, public BREC city park today. I was hunting in a sand tot lot and the BREC park ranger came over and told me that scanning or digging wasn't allowed in any BREC park. I explained that I don't dig in any park, just use a probe and pop out the find. I've been doing these parks for the past fourteen years, had rangers drive by and wave. So I had the ranger call an acquaintance of mine who is the head of one of the capital improvement departments. Well to make a long story short I was told that when the new head of the parks and recreation took over (out-of-state hiree) that they have a no scanning(?) digging policy and I could be subject to an arrest. I wonder if they are going to put all the little kiddies in jail when they dig in the sand with their little shovel to fill their little pails? My tax money at work.Ha Ha Ha. Well I guess that does it for me in this hobby, because those parks were the only place I had access.I will miss it terribly. Good luck and good hunting to my once fellow coinshooters.

Charter Member
    us
    ~The Cane Field Bandits~

Oct 2007
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Tesoro Cortes, Tesoro Cibola,
    133 times
    Relic Hunting
    They have to leave room for the crack heads to smoke and the heroine addicts to shoot What a load of bull S$%T!!!
    2014 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    181? Cut Quarter of an 8 Reales
    1829 Cap and Rays 1 Real
    1876-S Seated Quarter
    Five Seated Half Dimes: Two 1840-O Half Dimes, 1842-O, 1848-O and 1857
    1876-CC, 1876-S, Two 1887 and an 1888 Seated Dimes
    U.S.S. New Orleans Silver Pendant (1890s)
    185? Large Cent
    1840s Convex Eagle Militia Button
    Blacksmith-Forged Picket Pin
    1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
    1943, 1954, and 1963-D Quarters
    1902-O Barber Dime
    1945 and 1945-S Mercury Dimes
    1864-L Indian Head Cent
    Dateless Shield Nickel
    Assorted Civil War Bullets and Musketballs
    Indian Head Cents, Wheats, Buffaloes, and GawGag
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my finds signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    Pressure from jealous archaeologists using these stupid TV shows as weapons. It will only get worse.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    705 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That sounds kind of odd to me, personally I'd want to see something in writing from the parks dept.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    Nov 2007
    Pride, Louisiana
    I wrote to the parks department and got a reply back stating that they are working on some sort of rules and policy about metal detecting in the parks. They will have them written up and posted on the list of park useage rules.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    705 times
    keep us posted here, I'd hate for that to happen here in New Orleans seeing as I've only scratched the surface in our parks and they could keep me busy and quite happy for quite a while.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    Marrero LA
    M6, golden sabre II (modded) F2
    12 times
    Likewise Ken

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Cajun Country
    Fisher F5, Garrett Pro Pointer
    29 times
    FYI,

I know this thread is a little old, but according to the current BREC website, metal detecting is still allowed. Scroll to the bottom, they went into quite a bit of detail on the subject.

Park Rules | BREC.org

us
    Nov 2007
    Pride, Louisiana
    That is correct Clay. After I was threatened with arrest for detecting in the park, which I have been doing for the past 18years, I contacted the assistant park superintendent. I explained my technique in detecting in the parks. My club president, who knows the assistant super also contacted him. Well to make a long story great, they set up some rules following copying the guidelines I have been using all these years. The only thing they added were some parks that are off limits and no detecting on the ball fields. Bummer. HH. Ron

us
    Nov 2013
    baton rouge louisiana
    Bounty hunter 505
    Really stinks that you cant hunt city park .
    I hunt parks in br and at times I see holes left unfilled from most likely a previous detectorist.
    And its aggravating cuz folks like that screw it up for the rest of us ..
    As if its not already hard enough .

us
    Nov 2007
    Pride, Louisiana
    Hey batonrouge, I have an update for you. I wrote a letter to the assistant park commissioner and explained my hunting technique and also got my club president to contact him. Well the commissioner wrote back and said that they would allow metal detecting in some of the parks, using the procedure that I outlined for him. The only thing he added was to ban detecting on sports fields(bummer). So if you check the BREC website, you will find the rules and which parks are off limits.

us
    Nov 2013
    baton rouge louisiana
    Bounty hunter 505
    3 weeks ago they kicked me out of howel park on winbourne a park that was not on the list .
    The guy came over in his golf cart and said his boss told him to tell me mding is not allowed in brec parks .
    I said I will lea e cuz I do not want any trouble but I said to the guy please tell your boss he is wrong and ask him to read the rules of the park tbat my tax dollars pay for.
    And I pulled up the brec park rules and showed the fella he looked at them and even agreed but he said hey I have to do as my boss says .I told him I understand your just doing your job im. Not upset at you and I respect that.
    With that I packed up my stuff and headed to the truck as I was shutting the door the guy came back and said he showed his boss the park rules and his genius boss said that the park rules will be changed to all the big parks being off limmits basically leaving the small parks .
    Brec is getting rediculous just wish there was a way to get them to change their rules mders should at least be allowed a certian out of the way area of the bigger parks

us
    Nov 2007
    Pride, Louisiana
    And next month they want us to approve more taxes to support them.

Sponsors