City Park Hunting Outlawed in Baton Rouge

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well folks I got kicked out of my tax supported, public BREC city park today. I was hunting in a sand tot lot and the BREC park ranger came over and told me that scanning or digging wasn't allowed in any BREC park. I explained that I don't dig in any park, just use a probe and pop out the find. I've been doing these parks for the past fourteen years, had rangers drive by and wave. So I had the ranger call an acquaintance of mine who is the head of one of the capital improvement departments. Well to make a long story short I was told that when the new head of the parks and recreation took over (out-of-state hiree) that they have a no scanning(?) digging policy and I could be subject to an arrest. I wonder if they are going to put all the little kiddies in jail when they dig in the sand with their little shovel to fill their little pails? My tax money at work.Ha Ha Ha. Well I guess that does it for me in this hobby, because those parks were the only place I had access.I will miss it terribly. Good luck and good hunting to my once fellow coinshooters.:wave:

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
They have to leave room for the crack heads to smoke and the heroine addicts to shoot :( What a load of bull S$%T!!!

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pressure from jealous archaeologists using these stupid TV shows as weapons. It will only get worse.

OP
OP
roceda

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wrote to the parks department and got a reply back stating that they are working on some sort of rules and policy about metal detecting in the parks. They will have them written up and posted on the list of park useage rules.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep us posted here, I'd hate for that to happen here in New Orleans seeing as I've only scratched the surface in our parks and they could keep me busy and quite happy for quite a while.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI,

I know this thread is a little old, but according to the current BREC website, metal detecting is still allowed. Scroll to the bottom, they went into quite a bit of detail on the subject.

Park Rules | BREC.org

OP
OP
roceda

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is correct Clay. After I was threatened with arrest for detecting in the park, which I have been doing for the past 18years, I contacted the assistant park superintendent. I explained my technique in detecting in the parks. My club president, who knows the assistant super also contacted him. Well to make a long story great, they set up some rules following copying the guidelines I have been using all these years. The only thing they added were some parks that are off limits and no detecting on the ball fields. Bummer. HH. Ron

batonrouge

Nov 11, 2013
baton rouge louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really stinks that you cant hunt city park .
I hunt parks in br and at times I see holes left unfilled from most likely a previous detectorist.
And its aggravating cuz folks like that screw it up for the rest of us ..
As if its not already hard enough .

OP
OP
roceda

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey batonrouge, I have an update for you. I wrote a letter to the assistant park commissioner and explained my hunting technique and also got my club president to contact him. Well the commissioner wrote back and said that they would allow metal detecting in some of the parks, using the procedure that I outlined for him. The only thing he added was to ban detecting on sports fields(bummer). So if you check the BREC website, you will find the rules and which parks are off limits.

batonrouge

Nov 11, 2013
baton rouge louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 weeks ago they kicked me out of howel park on winbourne a park that was not on the list .
The guy came over in his golf cart and said his boss told him to tell me mding is not allowed in brec parks .
I said I will lea e cuz I do not want any trouble but I said to the guy please tell your boss he is wrong and ask him to read the rules of the park tbat my tax dollars pay for.
And I pulled up the brec park rules and showed the fella he looked at them and even agreed but he said hey I have to do as my boss says .I told him I understand your just doing your job im. Not upset at you and I respect that.
With that I packed up my stuff and headed to the truck as I was shutting the door the guy came back and said he showed his boss the park rules and his genius boss said that the park rules will be changed to all the big parks being off limmits basically leaving the small parks .
Brec is getting rediculous just wish there was a way to get them to change their rules mders should at least be allowed a certian out of the way area of the bigger parks

OP
OP
roceda

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And next month they want us to approve more taxes to support them. :protest:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes city park in New Orleans a guy rolled up on me who must work in the brains part of the park. I told him I?ve been hot in here for years and then he said well I hope you had a good run. Not like another answer I stayed away for about a year I did look in the rulebook and it was changed saying only archaeologists with permission could search. Well I?ve been going back I guess I?m living by it?s better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. I mean what are they going to do asked me to leave I?m also admit I can hold the garage and I didn?t like that little Loyola looking guy in his own personable White city park car making a little jab at me. So I?m back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread