New to tecting

KC2NFF

Sep 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to 'tecting

Hellooo everybody! I am currently at Fort Polk and very new to this 'tecting. I want to buy a metal detector but getting very discouraged with all these laws of where and how I can use them. I read and see videos of many people finding good stuff out here in Louisiana. How and where can I use a metal detector around here without looking over my shoulder and worrying about breaking the law. I am mostly interested in looking for old coins. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hellooo everybody! I am currently at Fort Polk and very new to this 'tecting. I want to buy a metal detector but getting very discouraged with all these laws of where and how I can use them. I read and see videos of many people finding good stuff out here in Louisiana. How and where can I use a metal detector around here without looking over my shoulder and worrying about breaking the law. I am mostly interested in looking for old coins. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Well, if you're hunting in an area/spot for which there is no prohibition (no rule or law that says "no metal detectors"), then, by logical definition, you need not worry about "breaking the law". So I don't understand your question ? If you're skittish that there might be a law or rule wherever you're thinking of going, all you need to do is look up in their rule book (city/muni codes, county laws, etc... are usually all available on those entity's websites nowadays). If there's no rules that address md'ing (ie.: silent on the subject), then presto, it's not prohibited then, is it?

But sure, md'ing carries connotations (and attracts lookie-lous) that you might be about to leave holes, or "take" something, etc... So of course use common sense to go at low traffic times, avoid busy-bodies, etc....

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
KC2NFF,
All the good stuff in Louisiana is along the Red and Mississippi River valleys. Little bit in the Bayou Teche and Achafalaya areas but either way- be prepared to drive...
From many years of detecting On Ft. Polk- I've never seen or heard of a written rule against detecting on Ft Polk. However, because there always is a however, There are a couple of agencies on post that try to thwart the hobby. The Environmental and Geological guys will scold you if they think you don't know any better. And the Kisatchie National Forrest guys will scolled you because they don't know any better.

It is fine to detect on both as far as I know- AS LONG AS- you are not on one of the identified Historical settlement sites (homesteads and sawmills), marked archeological sites, or any other area marked off for safety reasons.

Off post- very few spots are public- so it is well to figure it is Private. Technically in LA you need written permission but I've seldom went that far.
As with anywhere, low key is best. Go when traffic and lookyloos will be fewest. Either way- with permission you never need to look over your shoulder.

But most importantly FILL YOUR HOLES. Two or three other newbies in the last year or so have been leaving pock marks and messes all over post. That is what's going to get us all cut off before long!
btw- I'm the guy in the Silver 4 door GMC... so if I've scollded you- Sorry- but fill your holes! If you don't have a detector and haven't started yet- PM me and I'll try to make some time to help you get started.
PEACE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread