neutral ground

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...if you asked the city "authorities" they'd probably tell you it's not allowed, I've never hunted them. Just watch your 6.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I authorize it. If anyone hassles you, just tell them "Tom in CA" said I could. They will slink away in embarrassment for having questioned you. But you must send me 30% of all your finds though, is the only requirement. :occasion14:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never gotten the nerve up to do it in a random spot where I didn't know the owner of the house(s) where I detected.
I was detecting my aunts yard and went out to her curb area between sidewalk and road. I had dozens of "lookie Lou's" slowing down eyeballing me so I figured a cop would come by anytime but they never did. I'll just tell them Tom said it was ok if they ever ask!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I was stationed in Louisiana for a couple of year, from what I found was that everything was illegal when the police where around.

I doubt it will land you in Angola, but you may want to find the laws on it your self. Certainly would not ask a cop there, go outside the parish and ask one of those cops, I bet they could tell you where to look that law up at and they wont blame you for not asking in town.

OP
OP
rreahard

rreahard

Mar 29, 2016
Hammond, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Was going to try and get out this weekend and test a couple spots, but other plans got in the way. If Tom in CA wants 30% of my pull tabs and can slaw he's more than welcome to it...

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you consider Esplanade neutral ground, bring your "pooper scooper".
If you consider MLK blvd neutral ground, bring your Harbor Freight detector, plus friend with weapons.

OP
OP
rreahard

rreahard

Mar 29, 2016
Hammond, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you consider Esplanade neutral ground, bring your "pooper scooper".
If you consider MLK blvd neutral ground, bring your Harbor Freight detector, plus friend with weapons.

Was thinking in Lakeview or Uptown, but still haven't done it yet. I've lived in the city long enough to know what areas to avoid haha.

Misti

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a newbie to this hobby and live in the outskirts of New Orleans. I called the city and the parks and rec department to ask where metal detecting was allowed. They told me it was allowed in City Park and Audubon Park, and everywhere else was off limits. If I was caught detecting anywhere besides those 2 areas - she said that included any other park, school, university, playground, neutral ground, river walk, biking or jogging trail, ball field, sidewalk, parking lot or festival grounds - it would be a $25.00 fine.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there you have it! I might call back and ask another person just to be sure. Eventually you will find the right person who will tell you they are all off limits to detecting, biking, hiking, jogging, kite flying and pick nicking, pulltab harvesting etc! Just to be sure have it put in writing and notarized. (Sarcastic headbang emoticon)

Misti

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I called the New Orleans Park and Rec Dept, I was transferred to the Executive Assistant to answer my question. I think her name was Carla? So try to get someone other than her. She's the one who told me all parks were off limits except City Park and Audubon. She suggested I call the city about other areas because she said she was under the impression that metal detecting was outlawed everywhere else. Unfortunately, I can't tell you who I ended up talking to at the city. I called the main number and told the operator what I was wanting to know. I'm sure I blew her mind because I was on hold at least a minute. The man who I spoke to first couldn't answer my question, so he put me on hold. When they picked back up, a female reiterated about the two parks and then rattled off those specific areas with the threat of being fined if I was caught. Did I mention she wasn't very pleasant...

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a newbie to this hobby and live in the outskirts of New Orleans. I called the city and the parks and rec department to ask where metal detecting was allowed. They told me it was allowed in City Park and Audubon Park, and everywhere else was off limits. If I was caught detecting anywhere besides those 2 areas - she said that included any other park, school, university, playground, neutral ground, river walk, biking or jogging trail, ball field, sidewalk, parking lot or festival grounds - it would be a $25.00 fine.

That's the same answer I got a few yrs back

OP
OP
rreahard

rreahard

Mar 29, 2016
Hammond, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Misti. I knew about the parks, but was unsure about the other areas you listed. Guess I will stay away from the neutral grounds, even though they are tempting.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do a lot of detecting in New Orleans. I wish I could go into some of the older areas, but I'd get robbed and/or killed. But I do go to City Park as well as Audubon Park and never hit anything old.....yet :]. I live on the North Shore, I went into Old Covington last week and thought outside the box. I metal detected the small strips of grass in between the street and the sidewalks.....yes I was embarrassed to say the least. I then got a solid 89 on the AT Pro 8 inches deep, I went for it. About 7 inches down I started feeling weird because the ground was getting harder to dig to where I almost gave up. Thank God I didn't. Out popped a Spanish 1829 8 Reales, I almost died right there in front of a lawyer's office. Moral of the story is sometimes you gotta go where most won't and you many get the find of a lifetime. I'm still floating on air. Don't stop digging and don't ask the people working for New Orleans anything due to the fact that they are mostly brain dead.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do a lot of detecting in New Orleans. I wish I could go into some of the older areas, but I'd get robbed and/or killed. But I do go to City Park as well as Audubon Park and never hit anything old.....yet :]. I live on the North Shore, I went into Old Covington last week and thought outside the box. I metal detected the small strips of grass in between the street and the sidewalks.....yes I was embarrassed to say the least. I then got a solid 89 on the AT Pro 8 inches deep, I went for it. About 7 inches down I started feeling weird because the ground was getting harder to dig to where I almost gave up. Thank God I didn't. Out popped a Spanish 1829 8 Reales, I almost died right there in front of a lawyer's office. Moral of the story is sometimes you gotta go where most won't and you many get the find of a lifetime. I'm still floating on air. Don't stop digging and don't ask the people working for New Orleans anything due to the fact that they are mostly brain dead.

f6d27559ce3b9008778e44be50b7908c.jpg
1b35ee1bb4aeb892222e5006d91b4477.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Good for you. Used to hang out, ride bikes in and around Abita park as a kid, miss it out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread