Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it took so long, that looks like Domino Sugar, and the road to that area was named Wineburger Rd. not sure on the spelling, and as far as I know, never paved. It led to the Chalmette slips. Over the years it has been used for all sorts of things. Parking cars, stacking lumber etc... If you can get into that area you should be able to reach the area we searched in. In front of where you were driving was a drive-in theater, now I think it is a restaurant. To your right was a military airfield during WWII. The runways were made of iron grates that locked together, they were still there the last time I was there. Close to where you were driving was a night club, concrete parking and raised floor, burnt down in the 1950's.

Keep me informed, please,

Johnny

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry it took so long, that looks like Domino Sugar, and the road to that area was named Wineburger Rd. not sure on the spelling, and as far as I know, never paved. It led to the Chalmette slips. Over the years it has been used for all sorts of things. Parking cars, stacking lumber etc... If you can get into that area you should be able to reach the area we searched in. In front of where you were driving was a drive-in theater, now I think it is a restaurant. To your right was a military airfield during WWII. The runways were made of iron grates that locked together, they were still there the last time I was there. Close to where you were driving was a night club, concrete parking and raised floor, burnt down in the 1950's.

Johnny

I sure well I'll make it out there this weekend. I'm gonna research the exact stop you're talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wake me up when it's winter

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to plan a fall/winter hunt

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Johnny

I appreciate all the time you're taking with me Johnny I will put it to good use. If you ever have time and can take a screenshot exactly of the location you're talking about that would be appreciated I just want to be a 100% sure.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you follow the west fence line of the monument toward the river, that was part of the Macarty Plantation. Jackson's Line was along the Rodriguez Canal, most of the American forces would have been on that side. The Google Maps photo, it puts the Macarty House at the Chalmette Slips. Where the pin is for the Chalmette Plantation was called Fasanville, not sure of the spelling, but it was there the slaves lived. From the "A" at the cemetery our house was one block north and one block west, and the Chalmette Canal ran next to the house on the wast side. Most of the battle was fought between Perrine Drive on the west, Mississippi River on the south the Forty Arpent Canal on the north, the canal running across the upper right portion of the map, and Meraux Lane. The Last being at the Chalmette Plantation.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Truth1253, I missed that, Just finished the second edition of my book, but not happy with the printers job. There is a picture of the first edition somewhere on this site, in my folder I think.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Truth1253, I missed that, Just finished the second edition of my book, but not happy with the printers job. There is a picture of the first edition somewhere on this site, in my folder I think.

I went yesterday and looked for where you were talking about and got confused so I ended up at Sidney Torres Park. A picture would be worth a thousand words if you could point me there. I guess I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed with directions. :laughing

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area in question is west from the park. It is just before Perrine Drive. There was a dirt road on the east side of the canal that led to the ball park. There was a way to get to the area south of Judge Perez Drive along that canal, Next to a bar room or a body shop. From the google Map, it looks like the area is heavily wooded. I will have to search my old truck for a Chalmette Map. I am about to turn into a pumpkin like Cinderella's coach. Good luck and good night.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The area in question is west from the park. It is just before Perrine Drive. There was a dirt road on the east side of the canal that led to the ball park. There was a way to get to the area south of Judge Perez Drive along that canal, Next to a bar room or a body shop. From the google Map, it looks like the area is heavily wooded. I will have to search my old truck for a Chalmette Map. I am about to turn into a pumpkin like Cinderella's coach. Good luck and good night.

Thanks Johnny. Goodnight

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Battle of New Orleans was mostly fought between The Mississippi River (South Side) and the Forty Arpent Canal (North Side). If you turn north off of Judge Perez drive anywhere in Chalmette, it is where just pass the the end of the street. There is a levee there. On the (East Side) is Perrine Drive, the first street in Arabi, Macarty Canal is on the east side of Perrine. To the east Maurine Lane, Jumonville Canal, there was a marker on St. Bernard Highway marking Jumonville, the canal is east of there, near Maurine Lane. From the Google map it looks like almost everything has a house on it. There was a ball park on the Forty Arpent, but I really do not know the name of the street it was on. I never Metal Detected there, but I should have.

Note: As I recall, most of the canals running alone the the plantations were being replaced with culverts and covered, "mosquito control" I really think you might do better looking north of Murphy Oil, The area was used by the British in 1814 and the U.S. Army during the Civil War, but go in the winter when the snakes are gone. There was a place you could park on Judge Perez just past Jacob Drive, plus dead end streets off of of Jacob, but you had to cross the canal. De La Ronde Oaks was always good to us. I was a tradition on Sunday for the Ladies of the plantations to through coins from the second floor balcony to where the slaves had gathered. They thought it great interment to watch them scramble and fight for the coins. I am sure Mark and I did not find all of them, or the dropped bullets.

Before I left Chalmette, I placed all of the coins I had found in four 12x12x6 boxes and called my four children. #1 son, gave his to his son, his wife divorced him and he did not see his son for over thirty years. #1 daughter was arrested a week later for possession with intent to distribute cocaine, went to prison, got out and killed herself in a one car accident. Son #2, sold most of the silver coins, later gave the rest to his daughters. Daughter #2, sold hers and used the money as a down payment on a house for her and her boyfriend, and lost the house within the first three mounts.

After that, I started metal detecting in Mississippi, everything that I had found along with almost everything I owned was lost in Hurricane Katrina. I find it physically hard to get back into it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread