Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the Enterprise Plantation in Patoutville La. This is where I spent much of my childhood playing with my cousins in Patout Bayou gigging frogs and hunting gators. There's a tremendous amount of history here. When my ancestors Simeon and Appoline Patout came here from France in 1791 with the intent of growing grapes, they did not know the climate would not be conducive to a winery. After a few failures it was decided that they would grow sugar cane.
They owned slaves as did many plantation owners there and then. There still exists an area referred to as the quarter, same place it always was, but now farm workers live there. The mill in time has gotten larger and progressed with technology. So much so the company now owns the Sterling and Raceland Miils in south central Louisiana. Many folks have come and gone through the ages and many have left their mark on this interesting landscape. It was around in colonial times and through the civil war to today it has continued to thrive as a vast family run business. I will try to find many of the older photographs I have from days gone by. I went MDing here two rears ago and found very little on the immediate plantation grounds. I had not done the fields but I was there at the wrong time of year. I'll be going there this fall and my cousin has promised to share some secret spots with me. I also know that a confederate gunboat sunk in the Bayou Teche near my mothers house in New Iberia just 12 miles from Patoutville. There was an Atakapa(Ishak) Indian mound where Patout Bayou meets the gulf and as kids we found lots of early pottery shards and other tools. It is all but washed away from the past decades of erosion from the waves in the many hurricanes that have plagued the area since forever. The tribe of Atakapa are all extinct now including their language but I have an old Smithsonian Bulletin from 1932 written by John R. Swanton. It's a dictionary of their now extinct tongue. One thing most people don't know is that the Ishak were one of only a few North American Idian tribes that practiced cannibalism. I'll share some photos of things I collected as a kid in the 70's. Enjoy the mountain of sugar.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 381
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 445
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 441
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 298
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 296
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 100acre!! Nice Home!! Close friends of mine, Fosters and Bailey's, Have old homes up the road from you in Franklin, La. GORGEOUS old places!! On Bayou Teche!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

asrussell96

Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool history.....I have travelled around that are but I don't recall seeing the plantation. My family plantation was in Georgia (Russell Georgia). I have yet to travel there because the house is no longer there. General Sherman burned it to the ground.

OP
OP
100acre

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool history.....I have travelled around that are but I don't recall seeing the plantation. My family plantation was in Georgia (Russell Georgia). I have yet to travel there because the house is no longer there. General Sherman burned it to the ground.
I'll go with you anytime.

rreahard

Mar 29, 2016
Hammond, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome history!! Thanks for sharing!

Let me know if you need some help digging those cane fields!! :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
100acre

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pottery shards

Pottery shards from the Atakapa Shell Banks site. In south central Louisiana at the edge of the plantation. I gathered all of this stuff when I was just a wee boy In the 70's.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 219
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 245
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 310

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was very nice and it made me think, I should show the plantation where I grew up on in Chalmette, Louisiana. I found an U.S Army Colt near the first cannon on the right, of course it went to the museum. As it was a Civil War weapon from the second Battle of New Orleans, it was never shown.
Chalmette.jpg

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was very nice and it made me think, I should show the plantation where I grew up on in Chalmette, Louisiana. I found an U.S Army Colt near the first cannon on the right, of course it went to the museum. As it was a Civil War weapon from the second Battle of New Orleans, it was never shown.
View attachment 1477368

How did you get to detect there? I was raised in New Orleans East. (When it was safe to live)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was about 7 years old and they were re digging the sight of the canal that ran along the lines. My cousin and I were picking up pecans and asked if we could help dig. The ranger said yes, but we would have to turn over anything we found. We agreed and the rest is history. We lived on the north east side of the park, across from the cemetery. You would not believe the stuff we found in our yard. Cannon balls, copper enameled British unit crest, parts of cannon carriages, etc... To the left is were the slave quarters were, later appropriated by the government, to connect the park to the cemetery. To the north was pasture land, still there as far as I know.

As I recall the actual maps (Latore's or something like that) never quite jived with the layout of the park. I know that the canals ran From the river to the twenty and forty arpent canals, between the plantations, we lived next to the Chalmette Canal. Any other questions? Please feel free to ask.

Johnny

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was about 7 years old and they were re digging the sight of the canal that ran along the lines. My cousin and I were picking up pecans and asked if we could help dig. The ranger said yes, but we would have to turn over anything we found. We agreed and the rest is history. We lived on the north east side of the park, across from the cemetery. You would not believe the stuff we found in our yard. Cannon balls, copper enameled British unit crest, parts of cannon carriages, etc... To the left is were the slave quarters were, later appropriated by the government, to connect the park to the cemetery. To the north was pasture land, still there as far as I know.

As I recall the actual maps (Latore's or something like that) never quite jived with the layout of the park. I know that the canals ran From the river to the twenty and forty arpent canals, between the plantations, we lived next to the Chalmette Canal. Any other questions? Please feel free to ask.

Johnny

Johnny are there any spot left where you can hunt?

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only times I have been to Chalmette in the last thirty years has been for funerals, but there may a few. The De la Ronde Plantation, Chalmette, known as The Pakenham Oaks. They built the new prison on Paris Rd. next to it. Every time my cousin and I had nothing to do, we would go there and were never disappointed. Metal detectors were allowed. We found old coins, usually closer to the highway and newer coins through out the park. Minie balls were everywhere. At one time long ago the area had been graded and the top soil pushed toward the river. There was a chain-link fence there. I was told that rifles were found there. The site was used during both battles of New Orleans. Most of the old silver coins dimes and half-dimes had tiny holes drilled into them. I learned that the soldiers in the Civil War would attach there pay to the inside of the jacket and way it was less likely to be lost or stolen. If you go there, don't sit on the ground unless you want red ants in you pants.

A second place we would go is along the canal that runs on the west side of Murphy Refinery. We would go there when we had a little more time. To the north of the refinery we would find Civil War Yankee buckles/breast plates, minie balls etc... The area went back to the forty arpent canal, is was impossible to search it all.

That is two, let me know if you need more, also what area do you live in?

Johnny

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only times I have been to Chalmette in the last thirty years has been for funerals, but there may a few. The De la Ronde Plantation, Chalmette, known as The Pakenham Oaks. They built the new prison on Paris Rd. next to it. Every time my cousin and I had nothing to do, we would go there and were never disappointed. Metal detectors were allowed. We found old coins, usually closer to the highway and newer coins through out the park. Minie balls were everywhere. At one time long ago the area had been graded and the top soil pushed toward the river. There was a chain-link fence there. I was told that rifles were found there. The site was used during both battles of New Orleans. Most of the old silver coins dimes and half-dimes had tiny holes drilled into them. I learned that the soldiers in the Civil War would attach there pay to the inside of the jacket and way it was less likely to be lost or stolen. If you go there, don't sit on the ground unless you want red ants in you pants.

A second place we would go is along the canal that runs on the west side of Murphy Refinery. We would go there when we had a little more time. To the north of the refinery we would find Civil War Yankee buckles/breast plates, minie balls etc... The area went back to the forty arpent canal, is was impossible to search it all.

That is two, let me know if you need more, also what area do you live in?

Johnny

Thanks Johnny I went through Chalmette today. I went to the old Holy Cross High School but the gas was uncut and it was to tall to swing. Ended up at City Park but found change. My spots are drying out and I have a metal block on asking permission. I'm getting frustrated my good day are becoming far and in between. I live in Covington a stones throw from Abita Sings La. I spots are drying up the too. I go to Franklinton, Lacombe, Mt Herman, Ponchatoula etc.... I travel anywhere for a good spot. I love this hobby I detect every day and get my work done at night. I don't require much sleep I built that way. Thanks again any bones you can throw my way is GREATLY appreciated.

Dean

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can look some places up, but most of my time is spent trying to re-due my book. I know that my cousin filled me in of the old Spanish Trail, that was the main road across the south. The road was full of bandits who would attack usually at night. Most people would walk off the trail and stash their valuables for the night. Some were killed at night and there valuables were never recovered. The trail pretty much followed where Highway 190 is today, and can be recognized by the indentation in the ground caused be the westward migration. In Slidell, it is on the north side of Old Spanish Trail.

Thanks for asking,

Back to the book.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can look some places up, but most of my time is spent trying to re-due my book. I know that my cousin filled me in of the old Spanish Trail, that was the main road across the south. The road was full of bandits who would attack usually at night. Most people would walk off the trail and stash their valuables for the night. Some were killed at night and there valuables were never recovered. The trail pretty much followed where Highway 190 is today, and can be recognized by the indentation in the ground caused be the westward migration. In Slidell, it is on the north side of Old Spanish Trail.

Thanks for asking,

Back to the book.

Thanks for the tip. I'll start some research.

Are you writing a personal book or one for publication?

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dean, on the west side of the Chalmette Battlefield there is a fence, on the west side of that it was fair game. The rangers would come to the fence and watch us. The plantation that was there was moved to inside the Domino Sugar property, last known to me as Amstar, or something like that. The plantation house was right off the river levee. There was a pond with some trees growing in it. The house may have been where the Chalmette slip is today or close to it. We never found anything great there. Also, I would never go to the Holy Cross High School, I have heard it is to dangerous. I am trying to get in touch with my cousin, he moved to Arkansas.

Johnny

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dean, on the west side of the Chalmette Battlefield there is a fence, on the west side of that it was fair game. The rangers would come to the fence and watch us. The plantation that was there was moved to inside the Domino Sugar property, last known to me as Amstar, or something like that. The plantation house was right off the river levee. There was a pond with some trees growing in it. The house may have been where the Chalmette slip is today or close to it. We never found anything great there. Also, I would never go to the Holy Cross High School, I have heard it is to dangerous. I am trying to get in touch with my cousin, he moved to Arkansas.

Johnny

I'm gonna try to make it out to the Pakenham Oaks tomorrow if it's not raining. That that strip of oaks with that old brick structure on the neutral ground in front of it right? Is there a fence in front of those oaks? I'm gonna also scope out where yore talking about by the battlefield. If it's raining in Chalmette tomorrow I'm going to head to Franklinton Louisiana and see what's going on over there.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a parking lot on the highway next to the runes, also there was a ballpark on the corner of Paris Rd. and St. Bernard Hwy.

There were some other places along the river, but you can't drive on the levee, and I do not remember any street names.

The area behind the Murphy Refinery was used by troops in both the Battle of New Orleans' 1814 and Civil Wars. There was a plantation home on St. Bernard Hwy that was said to have served as the British Hospital. The dead soldiers were buried in unmarked graves nearby as far as I know the site has never been discovered.

Johnny

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a parking lot on the highway next to the runes, also there was a ballpark on the corner of Paris Rd. and St. Bernard Hwy.

There were some other places along the river, but you can't drive on the levee, and I do not remember any street names.

The area behind the Murphy Refinery was used by troops in both the Battle of New Orleans' 1814 and Civil Wars. There was a plantation home on St. Bernard Hwy that was said to have served as the British Hospital. The dead soldiers were buried in unmarked graves nearby as far as I know the site has never been discovered.

Johnny

I went and took a drive to those Oaks in Chalmette. The grass was kind of high and it was raining so hopefully it'll stop raining and I'll get cut soon. It's a hour away from my house. Now on the West side of the battlefield do yo have to drive in that factory to the right? IMG_0771.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread