Recommendations for a newbie in SC - moving soon to N. Louisiana

torreym

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I have seen countless questions on which machine to buy. I wanted to expand that question a little. Can any of you tell me what I need to look for? Whats the deal on concentric vs. DD coils? What should I look for regarding the diameter of the coils? What is ground balancing? Discrimination settings? I cant go too expensive on a first machine but didnt want to buy the cheapest either. Was looking at a $3-400 price range. Leaning towards a Fisher F4, but would like to hear others' thoughts on that machine or suggestions on other machines for a newbie. I live in Charleston, SC but will be moving to N. Louisiana this summer, so am thinking the best machine for me would be one to use in fields/woods/parks, etc. As far as what I am hunting, coins/relics/jewelry/bottles. Of course I hope I find gold, but not really planning on digging in any old mines at this point.

OP
OP
T

torreym

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello.
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello torreym,

I am an old timer and I can't tell what to buy, just where to go. At the time Hurricane Katrina hit and took everything we owned, my wife and I owned the best detectors Garrett had. If I was to start detecting again, I would have the best general purpose MD I could buy. I am sure someone can give you a name brand. If you want to know where to go in Louisiana, just ask me. Tell me what you want to hunt and where.

Good luck and happy hunting.

45th_Johnny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread