gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab says not necessary unless soil is hot, many including myself just sort of do it automatically. I think if you have mild soil you don't have to bother. Some areas around me are really full of iron ore and it is definitely an advantage to do so, but there are some parks here that are mild soil. As I hunt a place I will always ground balance but if the soil is mild (my ground balance is close to factory preset) I may not ground balance the next time I hit the same site. In the hot iron soil I have to do it often.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From a new 600 user, why wouldn’t you?

Because everybody keeps telling me we have no Mineralization in our soil so they recommend leaving it at zero like the book says. When you brown belt Friday where is your numbers come up that man hit up in the high 80s

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab says not necessary unless soil is hot, many including myself just sort of do it automatically. I think if you have mild soil you don't have to bother. Some areas around me are really full of iron ore and it is definitely an advantage to do so, but there are some parks here that are mild soil. As I hunt a place I will always ground balance but if the soil is mild (my ground balance is close to factory preset) I may not ground balance the next time I hit the same site. In the hot iron soil I have to do it often.

I appreciate your input how’s your ground balance ever went to the mid 80s?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have seen mid 80s. Funny thing, I left it set in mid 80s one day and forgot to return it when I went back to a mild soil site and I found a silver dime in a spot I had been over several times before.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I have seen mid 80s. Funny thing, I left it set in mid 80s one day and forgot to return it when I went back to a mild soil site and I found a silver dime in a spot I had been over several times before.

So now I got a ground balance and go over every location I’ve been to. And I’m gonna do it!!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2nd part question? Does anybody else use anything but multi frequency like if it’s multi why do you need 5 kHz 20 kHz 40 kHz?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now it's not on an Equinox (I sold mine), but I'm killing it at 74 khz on the Deus. Equinox won't go that high. For dry land hunting I'm not sure I saw much of any difference on my Equinox with single versus multi frequency. What I noticed w multi frequency was the nox got more "confused" over a target versus single frequency, especially the higher ones.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now it's not on an Equinox (I sold mine), but I'm killing it at 74 khz on the Deus. Equinox won't go that high. For dry land hunting I'm not sure I saw much of any difference on my Equinox with single versus multi frequency. What I noticed w multi frequency was the nox got more "confused" over a target versus single frequency, especially the higher

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our soils here are pretty hot. Right now I'm crushing a small rock I think has actual gold in it. Plus some iron. Over tweaking a machine is a great way to miss targets. I use an auto ground tracking on all machines ,the Nox and the Deus. The Deus can handle the hot ground. Most of my use on the Nox was in slightly milder ground and it worked ok. I think for now I'd just go play a bit. Find an "iffy" target with multi, then pick a higher frequency and go back over it to see what the difference is.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our soils here are pretty hot. Right now I'm crushing a small rock I think has actual gold in it. Plus some iron. Over tweaking a machine is a great way to miss targets. I use an auto ground tracking on all machines ,the Nox and the Deus. The Deus can handle the hot ground. Most of my use on the Nox was in slightly milder ground and it worked ok. I think for now I'd just go play a bit. Find an "iffy" target with multi, then pick a higher frequency and go back over it to see what the difference is.

Do you know what I think I’m gonna go practice today I’ve never really use any of the other khz

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 800 and I agree, soil in my area is fairly uniform. I have done it, but seems to make little difference.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 800 and I agree, soil in my area is fairly uniform. I have done it, but seems to make little difference.

Are you seeing any difference in the F2 all metal mood? Because I can tell you my 800 still loves those rusty square nails no matter what?What am I doing wrong?

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, have not tried it too often. I have been using the different setting to help determine what is good from junk. So, I have tried park 1 find something, then change the setting to see what they come up as in P2 F1 and 2. Have you had luck discriminating things as more than 1 target? or can you tell when you have aluminum tabs. That is what I was finding today.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, have not tried it too often. I have been using the different setting to help determine what is good from junk. So, I have tried park 1 find something, then change the setting to see what they come up as in P2 F1 and 2. Have you had luck discriminating things as more than 1 target? or can you tell when you have aluminum tabs. That is what I was finding today.

I can’t tell A nice piece of aluminum rings up clear

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions