Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Magnet strengths

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    285 times
    the pole set up. genius pure genius !

Nov 2017
    Near DFW Texas
    A mix
    13 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by bowwinkles View Post
    I also have a little different way to address the magnet fishing fun when conditions are such that a hand held pole type of system is needed. The Aluminum pool cleaning pole was my choice and I did not have to put up with the additional weight. It does lack the strength like to hole digger shaft but it will also reach 12ft.
    Being very active in magnet fishing my old bean is always thinking of new ways of accomplishing the task in another way. I started off this new adventure in the pool cleaning area of Home Depot and found that they carry a selection of aluminum pool cleaning poles that are extendable. The sizes available range from 12 feet to 20 feet. Being that we have many docks that only have water is only 6 to 7 feet deep, I chose to buy the 12 foot extendable pole. I fashioned a T bracket on the end so I could mount two down facing 300 range cup magnets side by side. Now instead of the bobbing method with the rope and magnet I just probe and sweep the area that is in reach of the pole's length, With the rope method you have a marginal amount of control of the area covered but with the pole it is fairly accurate and works great. Younger stronger individuals may want to go with a longer pole, but the sweeping action in the deeper water is much more difficult but the probing still works well. The longer pole also becomes a problem when you bring up the find. The lite 12 ft pole can be taken strait up and is still very manageable. Yesterday in clear lake water I observed the bottom as I used this new tool and I determined that I was not missing much of the bottom area during my hunt. I then covered a like area with the rope and magnet setup and found the areas missed because of the lack of control was substantial. The first 4 to 5 foot of area from the docks edge is the prime area for targets. The 4 and 5 ft area becomes very difficult to cover with the rope method but the pole will get it all. I was able to effectively cover about an area that would take the rope method a long time in just a matter of minutes without missing a whole lot of places. Just a thought I wanted to pass on.

pictures can be found here: Dock Magnet probing
    Cool ideas thanks you all

Nov 2017
    Goldbug 2 ,Makro gold racer,custom built Pi,
    49 times

Magnets for fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Brazos View Post
    Cool ideas thanks you all
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0133.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	1557996

Use your magnets like this.
    You are looking at to north poles locked onto a washer.
    If you want to make it even stronger put another washer on each end then another two magnets. s/s n/n s/s etc.
    The field goes to the washer and increases the magnetic strength 10 fold.Use neos.

You can buy it already made,its called a cow alnico cow magnet.

Jan 2016
    Germany
    AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
    338 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    You have to keep in mind that the magnets don't reach their full strength in water. For reference we have 160kg pull magnets that are most of the time enough to pick up bicycles that weigh maybe 30kg tops, there are all kinds of factors like mud and rust playing a role.

Most of the time we use 200kg pull magnets these days.
    sprailroad likes this.
    Garrett AT Pro and EuroAce 350 for detecting, a bunch of strong magnets on ropes for magnet fishing.

Check out our YouTube channel, we upload videos of each successful hunt we go on.

us
    Nov 2017
    28 times
    Magnet Fishing
    Just got this bad boy from BM today https://brutemagnetics.com/collectio...-4-72-diameter

It is not overkill because the magnet covers more area. This magnet is about as big around as your hand, and is perfect for dropping around the docks

Nov 2012
    611 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The Magnet Angler View Post
    Just got this bad boy from BM today https://brutemagnetics.com/collectio...-4-72-diameter

It is not overkill because the magnet covers more area. This magnet is about as big around as your hand, and is perfect for dropping around the docks
    You had better hope that it is not a metal dock. I got a 400 lb der stuck and had to get my shovel to get it off.

us
    Nov 2017
    28 times
    Magnet Fishing
    The dock where I usually go is made of aluminum so it isnt magnetic, I always test areas with the small magnet anyways before I will use the big one...just to check what type of terrain is underneath the water (trees stumps etc(

Apr 2018
    montana
    gold bug and ace 350
    11 times
    ive paid several hundred for a good n52 neodymium mag ..but word of warning they are angry i have 2 -250 pound a caged 300 pound 2 500 pounders and 1- 800 but that 300 if it ever clicked flat on a good target it takes 2 people to remove it .. but found some cool stuff

Jul 2005
    Iowa
    White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT Fisher 1280x
    53 times
    Head the warnings folks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Less than three minutes of unboxing my new 400 lb----I was bleeding.Got it to close to a tool on my bench and the tool jumped onto the magnet in a flash, catching,clamping,smashing,pinching,etc., my hand between the thumb and trigger finger.Damn that hurt. Be very careful handling these things.
    Also,I would suggest sticking to a magnet in the 250 to 400 lb range,if you are not going after the BIG stuff.My 255 lb can lift 2" x 6' pipe but was not able to lift a 3 1/2-4" x 8' pipe.However, after many disconnects,I did manage to drag it into shallow water.
    Happy magnet angling.
    Tnmountains likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    7658 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterbug View Post
    Head the warnings folks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Less than three minutes of unboxing my new 400 lb----I was bleeding.Got it to close to a tool on my bench and the tool jumped onto the magnet in a flash, catching,clamping,smashing,pinching,etc., my hand between the thumb and trigger finger.Damn that hurt. Be very careful handling these things.
    Also,I would suggest sticking to a magnet in the 250 to 400 lb range,if you are not going after the BIG stuff.My 255 lb can lift 2" x 6' pipe but was not able to lift a 3 1/2-4" x 8' pipe.However, after many disconnects,I did manage to drag it into shallow water.
    Happy magnet angling.
    I wade creeks and have one in each hand on a stick. If one magnet won't shake it loose the other together will. Yes be safe they are dangerous.
    Last edited by Tnmountains; Apr 27, 2018 at 09:37 PM.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Nov 2012
    611 times
    Guy here gets a 1000 stuck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links