Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Propointer, 11" DD Coil, 5" DD Coil, 8" Concentric Coil, BH Tracker 4, Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much weight are you trying to lift or hold with it?

OP
OP
G

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never magnet fished before. I realize that maybe a vague question. I'm thinking that magnets of various strengths might be in order.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two, a 150 lb pull magnet and a 250 lb and wish I had one with 500 lb pull.

I use a quick link so I could easily switch from the 250 lb magnet to the 150 lb magnet, I never use the 150 though.
Also put your magnet into a heavy duty zip lock bag to make cleaning small particles off it easier.

magnets.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I really didn't expect anything that powerful necessary.
That being said I abhor spending my money twice. Your input may have saved me from buying inferior magnets that I wouldn't have been satisfied. Thanks again.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I really didn't expect anything that powerful necessary.
That being said I abhor spending my money twice. Your input may have saved me from buying inferior magnets that I wouldn't have been satisfied. Thanks again.

Even though objects are lighter in water sometimes the magnet really doesn't get a great bond due to rust, moss, angle of attachment, etc.
The 250 lb pull retrieving magnet from harbor freight ($19.95) does work really good on most items, even retrieved a trolling motor with it.

The 150 lb magnet at Harbor Freight sells for $8.99

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the 19.95 magnet from Harbor Freight pick up coins too?
I paid around 14.00 for one off the net, and while it's pretty strong, it will only pick up iron. I'll find a use for it.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thinking about ordering the 405 lb Neodymium Cup Magnet from CMS
My concern is that it may be too powerful.

Anyone used one that strength?

You know it's strong enough when the UPS driver can't get the box off of the back door by himself.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the 19.95 magnet from Harbor Freight pick up coins too?
I paid around 14.00 for one off the net, and while it's pretty strong, it will only pick up iron. I'll find a use for it.

None of them will pick up US coins as they're not magnetic. I do remember reading of someone in Canada that did well dragging a magnet in marinas along the docks and picking up a lot of coins. Their coins are steel since 2001.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
I have two, a 150 lb pull magnet and a 250 lb and wish I had one with 500 lb pull.

I use a quick link so I could easily switch from the 250 lb magnet to the 150 lb magnet, I never use the 150 though.
Also put your magnet into a heavy duty zip lock bag to make cleaning small particles off it easier.

View attachment 1370177

GG~

it looks like your 250 lb magnet has steel shield on it. i looked at the online ad from harbor freight and the one that they showed does'nt look like yours ? it would be better if the magnets are brittle to have the shielding.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the HF type and the Neodymium Cup Magnet and by far the cup magnet is far more efficient , easier to throw with less hangups. Stay in the 300 lb range, encase you do like me and get it stuck on a metal part of the dock out of reach. Thank god I had a long handled shovel in my truck. Those same HF style are also available in Lowes and Home Depot.

Chemhead

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2017
NW Washington
Detector(s) used
Underwater Magnetic Retrieval
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I do sometimes over analyze things. With this in mind what would you consider an ideal pull force.
Do anyone else think that magnets of various strengths might be called for?
I'm trying to balance cost with what I assume will be the eventual loss of magnets.
I realize this an open ended question. I am just looking for opinions.

I use a smaller magnet most of the time. Something like a 100-120 lb pull force. First it is cheaper, that way if you get snagged on something or you drop your rope or someone just walks off with it while you are not looking then not as big of an issue. There also are advantages to a smaller magnet. Those big bulky ones that you get from Harbor Freight are cheap but they are so heavy with all the extra metal they put on them that you do not have the feel when you are jigging off the bottom. I can use a 100-120 lb pure neodymium magnet and I can very easily feel small hits such as washers or bottle caps you can't feel those on one of those big monsters. I always carry a bigger magnet with me, 350lb in case I get something too big and I really want to get it up. I will admit though that I'm 6'3'' 250lb, decent shape, hell if I could actually pull up anything more than that. Probably couldn't actually do 350lb either without lots of chiropractor visits. A couple things to keep in mind, most of the stuff that's cool and valuable is usually smaller, guns, knives, fishing tackle etc. And if you pull out a 500 lb metal locomotive piece. That would be totally awesome but I sure would not be putting it in the backseat of my car.

Also be careful of the big magnets, they are rather dangerous, I snapped my big magnet to my metal vice and while I could pick up the vice I could not get the magnet off of it without prying it off and that is hard on neodymium which is rather brittle. Be extremely careful not to get your hand caught between the big magnets or between the magnet and something sharp, they will do serious damage. Not to poo poo them too much because they are so cool and like I said I take a big magnet with me all the time, but I use it as a backup it's pretty easy to find object again if the smaller magnet pops loose.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 3 inch round rare earth magnet neodymium type with the hole in the middle that takes a bugle head screw. You can easily rig up a rope. I put mine on post hole digger handles and wade shallows below bridges. Last hunt got a old rusted pistol, A bearing press a really nice old cast iron street sign and some good rail road clips I can forge into knives. I will post some pictures up. I also found a good size safe face down I could not turn over but figure it was empty and chunked off the bridge. Magnet hunts are a blast.
Harbor did not come close to what I wanted as I checked. There are sites online that sell them pretty cheap. Be careful walking by your truck as it will slam into it. Also two of them together can crush a finger.

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 3 inch round rare earth magnet neodymium type with the hole in the middle that takes a bugle head screw. You can easily rig up a rope. I put mine on post hole digger handles and wade shallows below bridges. Last hunt got a old rusted pistol, A bearing press a really nice old cast iron street sign and some good rail road clips I can forge into knives. I will post some pictures up. I also found a good size safe face down I could not turn over but figure it was empty and chunked off the bridge. Magnet hunts are a blast.
Harbor did not come close to what I wanted as I checked. There are sites online that sell them pretty cheap. Be careful walking by your truck as it will slam into it. Also two of them together can crush a finger.

I also have a little different way to address the magnet fishing fun when conditions are such that a hand held pole type of system is needed. The Aluminum pool cleaning pole was my choice and I did not have to put up with the additional weight. It does lack the strength like to hole digger shaft but it will also reach 12ft.
Being very active in magnet fishing my old bean is always thinking of new ways of accomplishing the task in another way. I started off this new adventure in the pool cleaning area of Home Depot and found that they carry a selection of aluminum pool cleaning poles that are extendable. The sizes available range from 12 feet to 20 feet. Being that we have many docks that only have water is only 6 to 7 feet deep, I chose to buy the 12 foot extendable pole. I fashioned a T bracket on the end so I could mount two down facing 300 range cup magnets side by side. Now instead of the bobbing method with the rope and magnet I just probe and sweep the area that is in reach of the pole's length, With the rope method you have a marginal amount of control of the area covered but with the pole it is fairly accurate and works great. Younger stronger individuals may want to go with a longer pole, but the sweeping action in the deeper water is much more difficult but the probing still works well. The longer pole also becomes a problem when you bring up the find. The lite 12 ft pole can be taken strait up and is still very manageable. Yesterday in clear lake water I observed the bottom as I used this new tool and I determined that I was not missing much of the bottom area during my hunt. I then covered a like area with the rope and magnet setup and found the areas missed because of the lack of control was substantial. The first 4 to 5 foot of area from the docks edge is the prime area for targets. The 4 and 5 ft area becomes very difficult to cover with the rope method but the pole will get it all. I was able to effectively cover about an area that would take the rope method a long time in just a matter of minutes without missing a whole lot of places. Just a thought I wanted to pass on.

pictures can be found here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/magnet-fishing/550930-dock-magnet-probing.html

Last edited:

Brazos

Nov 25, 2017
Near DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
A mix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a little different way to address the magnet fishing fun when conditions are such that a hand held pole type of system is needed. The Aluminum pool cleaning pole was my choice and I did not have to put up with the additional weight. It does lack the strength like to hole digger shaft but it will also reach 12ft.
Being very active in magnet fishing my old bean is always thinking of new ways of accomplishing the task in another way. I started off this new adventure in the pool cleaning area of Home Depot and found that they carry a selection of aluminum pool cleaning poles that are extendable. The sizes available range from 12 feet to 20 feet. Being that we have many docks that only have water is only 6 to 7 feet deep, I chose to buy the 12 foot extendable pole. I fashioned a T bracket on the end so I could mount two down facing 300 range cup magnets side by side. Now instead of the bobbing method with the rope and magnet I just probe and sweep the area that is in reach of the pole's length, With the rope method you have a marginal amount of control of the area covered but with the pole it is fairly accurate and works great. Younger stronger individuals may want to go with a longer pole, but the sweeping action in the deeper water is much more difficult but the probing still works well. The longer pole also becomes a problem when you bring up the find. The lite 12 ft pole can be taken strait up and is still very manageable. Yesterday in clear lake water I observed the bottom as I used this new tool and I determined that I was not missing much of the bottom area during my hunt. I then covered a like area with the rope and magnet setup and found the areas missed because of the lack of control was substantial. The first 4 to 5 foot of area from the docks edge is the prime area for targets. The 4 and 5 ft area becomes very difficult to cover with the rope method but the pole will get it all. I was able to effectively cover about an area that would take the rope method a long time in just a matter of minutes without missing a whole lot of places. Just a thought I wanted to pass on.

pictures can be found here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/magnet-fishing/550930-dock-magnet-probing.html
Cool ideas thanks you all

Subdredger

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2 ,Makro gold racer,custom built Pi,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnets for fishing

Cool ideas thanks you all

IMG_0133.JPG

Use your magnets like this.
You are looking at to north poles locked onto a washer.
If you want to make it even stronger put another washer on each end then another two magnets. s/s n/n s/s etc.
The field goes to the washer and increases the magnetic strength 10 fold.Use neos.

You can buy it already made,its called a cow alnico cow magnet.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You have to keep in mind that the magnets don't reach their full strength in water. For reference we have 160kg pull magnets that are most of the time enough to pick up bicycles that weigh maybe 30kg tops, there are all kinds of factors like mud and rust playing a role.

Most of the time we use 200kg pull magnets these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions