Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Magnet strengths

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2013
    Tesoro sand shark, fisher cz-21 Whites beach hunter300 minelab equinox 800
    446 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Magnet strengths

I do sometimes over analyze things. With this in mind what would you consider an ideal pull force.
    Do anyone else think that magnets of various strengths might be called for?
    I'm trying to balance cost with what I assume will be the eventual loss of magnets.
    I realize this an open ended question. I am just looking for opinions.
    Goodyguy and sprailroad like this.

us
    Oct 2012
    Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
    ATPro, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Propointer, 11" DD Coil, 5" DD Coil, 8" Concentric Coil, BH Tracker 4, Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    25 times
    Metal Detecting
    How much weight are you trying to lift or hold with it?

May 2013
    446 times
    I've never magnet fished before. I realize that maybe a vague question. I'm thinking that magnets of various strengths might be in order.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4074 times
    I have two, a 150 lb pull magnet and a 250 lb and wish I had one with 500 lb pull.

I use a quick link so I could easily switch from the 250 lb magnet to the 150 lb magnet, I never use the 150 though.
    Also put your magnet into a heavy duty zip lock bag to make cleaning small particles off it easier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magnets.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1370177

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Oct 15, 2016 at 01:35 PM.

May 2013
    446 times
    Thanks for the reply. I really didn't expect anything that powerful necessary.
    That being said I abhor spending my money twice. Your input may have saved me from buying inferior magnets that I wouldn't have been satisfied. Thanks again.
    Goodyguy and sprailroad like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4074 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gamiller View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I really didn't expect anything that powerful necessary.
    That being said I abhor spending my money twice. Your input may have saved me from buying inferior magnets that I wouldn't have been satisfied. Thanks again.
    Even though objects are lighter in water sometimes the magnet really doesn't get a great bond due to rust, moss, angle of attachment, etc.
    The 250 lb pull retrieving magnet from harbor freight ($19.95) does work really good on most items, even retrieved a trolling motor with it.

The 150 lb magnet at Harbor Freight sells for $8.99

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Feb 07, 2017 at 02:13 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Indiana
    4074 times
    Thinking about ordering the 405 lb Neodymium Cup Magnet from CMS
    My concern is that it may be too powerful.

Anyone used one that strength?

CMS Magnetics 405 LB Super Powerful Neodymium Cup Magnet 0.7" Thick x 2.95" D... | eBay

us
    Vern

Jan 2017
    Leesburg Ga
    Tesoro DeLeon; Red Racer Garrett carrot, Makro PP Lesche shovel and knife Killer B's head phones
    476 times
    Metal Detecting
    Does the 19.95 magnet from Harbor Freight pick up coins too?
    I paid around 14.00 for one off the net, and while it's pretty strong, it will only pick up iron. I'll find a use for it.

us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    The Mangrove Coast
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8339 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    Thinking about ordering the 405 lb Neodymium Cup Magnet from CMS
    My concern is that it may be too powerful.

Anyone used one that strength?
    You know it's strong enough when the UPS driver can't get the box off of the back door by himself.
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

us
    Feb 2008
    southern NJ/southeast VA
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern2 View Post
    Does the 19.95 magnet from Harbor Freight pick up coins too?
    I paid around 14.00 for one off the net, and while it's pretty strong, it will only pick up iron. I'll find a use for it.

None of them will pick up US coins as they're not magnetic. I do remember reading of someone in Canada that did well dragging a magnet in marinas along the docks and picking up a lot of coins. Their coins are steel since 2001.
    sprailroad likes this.

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    321 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    I have two, a 150 lb pull magnet and a 250 lb and wish I had one with 500 lb pull.

I use a quick link so I could easily switch from the 250 lb magnet to the 150 lb magnet, I never use the 150 though.
    Also put your magnet into a heavy duty zip lock bag to make cleaning small particles off it easier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magnets.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1370177

GG~
    it looks like your 250 lb magnet has steel shield on it. i looked at the online ad from harbor freight and the one that they showed does'nt look like yours ? it would be better if the magnets are brittle to have the shielding.

Nov 2012
    664 times
    I have both the HF type and the Neodymium Cup Magnet and by far the cup magnet is far more efficient , easier to throw with less hangups. Stay in the 300 lb range, encase you do like me and get it stuck on a metal part of the dock out of reach. Thank god I had a long handled shovel in my truck. Those same HF style are also available in Lowes and Home Depot.
    sprailroad likes this.

us
    Oct 2017
    NW Washington
    Underwater Magnetic Retrieval
    6 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by gamiller View Post
    I do sometimes over analyze things. With this in mind what would you consider an ideal pull force.
    Do anyone else think that magnets of various strengths might be called for?
    I'm trying to balance cost with what I assume will be the eventual loss of magnets.
    I realize this an open ended question. I am just looking for opinions.
    I use a smaller magnet most of the time. Something like a 100-120 lb pull force. First it is cheaper, that way if you get snagged on something or you drop your rope or someone just walks off with it while you are not looking then not as big of an issue. There also are advantages to a smaller magnet. Those big bulky ones that you get from Harbor Freight are cheap but they are so heavy with all the extra metal they put on them that you do not have the feel when you are jigging off the bottom. I can use a 100-120 lb pure neodymium magnet and I can very easily feel small hits such as washers or bottle caps you can't feel those on one of those big monsters. I always carry a bigger magnet with me, 350lb in case I get something too big and I really want to get it up. I will admit though that I'm 6'3'' 250lb, decent shape, hell if I could actually pull up anything more than that. Probably couldn't actually do 350lb either without lots of chiropractor visits. A couple things to keep in mind, most of the stuff that's cool and valuable is usually smaller, guns, knives, fishing tackle etc. And if you pull out a 500 lb metal locomotive piece. That would be totally awesome but I sure would not be putting it in the backseat of my car.

Also be careful of the big magnets, they are rather dangerous, I snapped my big magnet to my metal vice and while I could pick up the vice I could not get the magnet off of it without prying it off and that is hard on neodymium which is rather brittle. Be extremely careful not to get your hand caught between the big magnets or between the magnet and something sharp, they will do serious damage. Not to poo poo them too much because they are so cool and like I said I take a big magnet with me all the time, but I use it as a backup it's pretty easy to find object again if the smaller magnet pops loose.
    sprailroad, T.C., 3cylbill and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    7741 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I use the 3 inch round rare earth magnet neodymium type with the hole in the middle that takes a bugle head screw. You can easily rig up a rope. I put mine on post hole digger handles and wade shallows below bridges. Last hunt got a old rusted pistol, A bearing press a really nice old cast iron street sign and some good rail road clips I can forge into knives. I will post some pictures up. I also found a good size safe face down I could not turn over but figure it was empty and chunked off the bridge. Magnet hunts are a blast.
    Harbor did not come close to what I wanted as I checked. There are sites online that sell them pretty cheap. Be careful walking by your truck as it will slam into it. Also two of them together can crush a finger.
    Last edited by Tnmountains; Jan 12, 2018 at 01:31 AM.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Nov 2012
    664 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
    I use the 3 inch round rare earth magnet neodymium type with the hole in the middle that takes a bugle head screw. You can easily rig up a rope. I put mine on post hole digger handles and wade shallows below bridges. Last hunt got a old rusted pistol, A bearing press a really nice old cast iron street sign and some good rail road clips I can forge into knives. I will post some pictures up. I also found a good size safe face down I could not turn over but figure it was empty and chunked off the bridge. Magnet hunts are a blast.
    Harbor did not come close to what I wanted as I checked. There are sites online that sell them pretty cheap. Be careful walking by your truck as it will slam into it. Also two of them together can crush a finger.

I also have a little different way to address the magnet fishing fun when conditions are such that a hand held pole type of system is needed. The Aluminum pool cleaning pole was my choice and I did not have to put up with the additional weight. It does lack the strength like to hole digger shaft but it will also reach 12ft.
    Being very active in magnet fishing my old bean is always thinking of new ways of accomplishing the task in another way. I started off this new adventure in the pool cleaning area of Home Depot and found that they carry a selection of aluminum pool cleaning poles that are extendable. The sizes available range from 12 feet to 20 feet. Being that we have many docks that only have water is only 6 to 7 feet deep, I chose to buy the 12 foot extendable pole. I fashioned a T bracket on the end so I could mount two down facing 300 range cup magnets side by side. Now instead of the bobbing method with the rope and magnet I just probe and sweep the area that is in reach of the pole's length, With the rope method you have a marginal amount of control of the area covered but with the pole it is fairly accurate and works great. Younger stronger individuals may want to go with a longer pole, but the sweeping action in the deeper water is much more difficult but the probing still works well. The longer pole also becomes a problem when you bring up the find. The lite 12 ft pole can be taken strait up and is still very manageable. Yesterday in clear lake water I observed the bottom as I used this new tool and I determined that I was not missing much of the bottom area during my hunt. I then covered a like area with the rope and magnet setup and found the areas missed because of the lack of control was substantial. The first 4 to 5 foot of area from the docks edge is the prime area for targets. The 4 and 5 ft area becomes very difficult to cover with the rope method but the pole will get it all. I was able to effectively cover about an area that would take the rope method a long time in just a matter of minutes without missing a whole lot of places. Just a thought I wanted to pass on.

pictures can be found here: Dock Magnet probing
    Last edited by bowwinkles; Jan 12, 2018 at 06:02 AM.
    Tnmountains and sprailroad like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links