Fishing Trip Finds

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys. I hope I can figure out how to post pictures here.

Here are pictures of artifacts I found "fishing" on the Talahatchie. This is from 2 hunts on a sunken river craft near an old crossing. I assume these items are from the boat, but don't know for sure. I will be posting specific items on "What is It" thread for a few. I went with my friend RipCon and he will be posting his finds up too.

Here is what I've "learned" from two hunts:

My friend has a heavier rope. He was able to sink down quick against the current. I have a lighter rope which was more victimized by the current, which meant I could not control as much.

Also, the "heaving knot" works very well for us.

And as I posted somewhere before this thread started, I combined Loctite with Super Glue to my eye-bolt before I secured it into the magnet, and this has worked great so far.

The feeling of the magnet "slapping on" a target is as cool as it gets! I learned today that if you slap on a heavy object and it pops off, immediately let go of your rope. Often the magnet will reattach and you can continue to pull.

If you are with your friend, there will be times - as it happened today- that you can both chunk your magnets on a "too-heavy" object and get the item on shore by combining forces.

Keep throwing. You might think you are clearing a spot, but that does not seem true at all. My friend and I literally sat in one spot for 3 hours and continued to pull stuff up over and over, even when it appeared we were throwing in the same exact spot!

In short, this is addictive!!!! Our wives are glad that we are not, at the least, running whores or doing some other nefarious activity! They just have to put up with all this unidentifiable iron junk!!!

Attachments

• overall picture.jpg
    overall picture.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO