My ultimate fishing magnet. What do you think?

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice . I may very well copy your design. I'm not very talented with power tools.��

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can do it!
Yes your right . I've got to slow down. You're directions are precise. I really think it a well thought out design.. Thanks for sharing.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were to change anything I might go with slightly stronger magnets and put a protective coating of plastidip to stop the magnets from chipping. I know that the neodymium magnets can be brittle.

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
If I were to change anything I might go with slightly stronger magnets and put a protective coating of plastidip to stop the magnets from chipping. I know that the neodymium magnets can be brittle.
The magnets are cased in a steel shell. The sides and edges are protected from chipping. Each magnet can pull 110 pounds and seem strong enough.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be over thinking it . The reason for a slightly stronger magnet would be necessary would to allow for a very thick coating of plastidip. My thinking was this that as you throw magnet rig and it lands in water you may smack bottom . Think stones and the like. Also it could be painted for better visibility and to protect the steel base from rusting. Saltwater etc. Maybe overkill.

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I may be over thinking it . The reason for a slightly stronger magnet would be necessary would to allow for a very thick coating of plastidip. My thinking was this that as you throw magnet rig and it lands in water you may smack bottom . Think stones and the like. Also it could be painted for better visibility and to protect the steel base from rusting. Saltwater etc. Maybe overkill.
Plastidip would not last long dragging against many rocks. Powder coating wouldn't last long either. Epoxy neither. If it sinks to the bottom flat then it's not going to hit the bottom hard. If it sinks like a knife then it will hit the side. So I'm personally not worried about chipping of the magnets. Plus buying these magnets direct they were cheap. If you are worried about rust then you can build your out of a stainless steel disk. I contemplated that but the disc was going to be around 20+$$. The cost difference easily buys the magnets so I opted for steel. This magnet assembly may not be what you would prefer? But maybe it gives you a basis for building your magnet if you choose. If you do build a magnet please post a video of it. PS. I was going to use a 1/2 thick aluminum disc and recess the magnets and fasteners and round the edge similar to a discus. It would have less chance for snagging this way and the magnets would be flush with the disc. But this is more money and time. When both are weighed against each other I chose the way you see in the video. Not because I couldn't do it - it just wasn't worth it to me.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said earlier I probably am over thinking it. The design is solid . The plastidip spray on product would most certainly be a waste. I have the uncut product in a gallon can. This is muchmore resilient and thicker than the aerosol. I have used plastidip for my cz21 ( instead of coil cover) and it so far has proven to be very resistant to abrasions. The other advantage is I have two fluorescent colors which may help in recovery in murky water It would also make it less prone to snaggingYou know if it gets stuck on the side of sunken U-boat.
And yes you're reasoning for your choices are solid. I have an unopened gallon of fluorescent yellow that I would like to use. Lol

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set up! I seen one like it, but instead of disk, they used a Stainless frying pan - mags on the bottom and used the hole in the handle to attach the line, and handy for tossing.

Hope you hook some keepers!

panner59

Dec 2, 2012
California...For now!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Royal Mini High banker,Keene A-52 Sluice, Gold N Sand X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXCELLENT! Simple, well thought out and effective. Please post your finds. Thanks for the video.

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for posting your video. I really enjoyed it. The only question I would have is how well does it work when it is being dragged over sunken logs/limbs?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff guys!.....
Your support of the magnet fishing forum makes me all happy.....and well, you know, :headbang:

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like the overall design, but my personal experience has been that one stronger magnet (ours have 160-200kg) is easier to work with as it is easy to throw. When we found a spot where people throw their coins in we built a rig not unlike yours, but over four hours we got more with just the regular magnets than with the rig. Still, from a design standpoint I like your design a lot, ours was built with six magnets in a row and was definitely hard to throw.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like this and built a back to back also with whiskers to keep it business side down. I now have seen a fault with the back to back design and am in the process of designing yet another back to back but this time with a tail light magnet so that once you are in close to the dock and the angle makes your back to back tip up. With the tail end magnet you can then bob in close with much better results. Initial tests are very promising.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you viewed my video https://youtu.be/M0gL6w7bMpc and seen my back to back with the whisker design. I have logged a few hours on this with very good results and again we have found room for improvement. Being most users are above the water on a dock or bridge the back to back only works well when you throw out and come some distance toward you. As the magnet approaches the dock you are pulling upward and this again takes the business part of the magnet away from the ground. I built a little U bracket to mount a third magnet as a tail light so when you get your magnet in close to the dock and is tipping up then the rear magnet takes over and you again have a magnet in close proximity to the soil. This has produced very good results. It is a bit heavy having three magnets on it but seems to be manageable. Once the rope is strait down then those who like to bob their magnets will be able to take advantage of the tail light magnet to collect the treasure off the bottom near the dock.

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a chick magnet, that may take a little bit more ingenuity.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Magnetic Fishing. I've never knew of this till now. Sounds really interesting. Do you cast off in to lakes/Rivers or ? Does anyone here have pictures of what they find? fishing tackle, old metal pieces, ????

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Magnetic Fishing. I've never knew of this till now. Sounds really interesting. Do you cast off in to lakes/Rivers or ? Does anyone here have pictures of what they find? fishing tackle, old metal pieces, ????

Just google magnet fishing u tube video and set back for days and watch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread