Trying mag-fishing again after a couple of years.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my magnet on a snag a couple of years ago. Just bought a whole new "kit" for under $20.00

Whites or Garrett will never go that low ;)

There are a few covered bridges real close to me that I wanted to see. But dumb me, they are covered and I can't throw a magnet from the bridge. I would have to slide down a very muddy bank. Nope, I drove a few more miles to the beach and tried my luck. Absolutely nothing at that old pier.

Yesterday I drove two hours north to check on my house that I am building and after picking up two weeks of mail drove out to a fishing pier. Everybody was catching crabs but all I got was one 5" piece of something.

Attachments

• FISH-0.jpg
    FISH-0.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 189
  • FISH-1.jpg
    FISH-1.jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 182
  • FISH-2.jpg
    FISH-2.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 182
  • FISH-3.jpg
    FISH-3.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 176
  • FISH-4.jpg
    FISH-4.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 162

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, you're out there going for it, and that's what counts.

HH!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dan, bet if you went back to the pier with a grapnel you'd do a lot better! As kids we used to use grapnels and would haul in big clumps of monofilament loaded with jigs & lures. No way we would have pulled em with a magnet. Same with fishing rods!!! The best rigs we had was a piece of rebar 4' long with rings welded to them for three hooks and a piece of small chain for a bridle. We made some serious candy & soda money with em!!!

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still like the grappling hook idea but I am afraid it would constantly get caught up on immoveable objects. There goes a $15 hook and $5 in cord. So I had an idea make my own out of wire coat hanger or heavier gauge wire. If it gets caught just pull until the hook bends, pull in the cord and bend the hook back and do all over again. not expecting to catch a bike or outboard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread