Newdetector

Greenie
Feb 3, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I am new to all types of treasure hunting, but I have taken an obsession recently with watching YouTube videos. Come spring time, I plan to purchase a 249lb CMS magnet and was wondering what is a good way to secure it. Should I buy screws or just rope? What is a good rope I should use for this magnet? I plan on fishing in an old pond that was a runoff to the dump many years ago. Thanks!! I have been looking all through these threads and am enjoying seeing everybody's catches.

Just as an edit: Do you feel like a 249 lb magnet is strong enough for me just starting out?

Last edited:

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to magnet fishing as well, waiting for the thaw to go out. My magnet is the 249 and youtube videos led me to getting this size.

magnet 2.jpg magnet 1.jpg

OP
OP
N

Newdetector

Greenie
Feb 3, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fish1on, same with me! I'm thinking the 249 is the one for me. Just hoping I'll be strong enough to pull it, haha. If not my boyfriend has some muscle & can help! Glad someone else is getting into it too, best of luck to you! Looking forward to seeing your finds

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will the 249 pick up quarters, dimes, and pennies? I bought one on ebay for somewhere around 14.00 and it only picks up iron. I can find a use for it, but I want one that will pick up US coins.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fish1on, same with me! I'm thinking the 249 is the one for me. Just hoping I'll be strong enough to pull it, haha. If not my boyfriend has some muscle & can help! Glad someone else is getting into it too, best of luck to you! Looking forward to seeing your finds

Get your boyfriend his own setup for valentines day and you both can go out and have fun.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will the 249 pick up quarters, dimes, and pennies? I bought one on ebay for somewhere around 14.00 and it only picks up iron. I can find a use for it, but I want one that will pick up US coins.

You will not be pulling in many US coins but Canadian coins yes. Magnets pick up steel.

OP
OP
N

Newdetector

Greenie
Feb 3, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get your boyfriend his own setup for valentines day and you both can go out and have fun.

My exact plan! Haha we're both wanting to get into it, he is going to be surprised

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but I want one that will pick up US coins.

yes, it will pick up all the 1943 steels wheat cents you can find. thats it, sorry.

now as another t-neter pointed out canadian coins are steel inside.

go coin roll hunting in canada, spread out a big handfull of dimes ans quarters on a flat surface, wave your strong magnet across the coins and anything not picked up will be silver!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are videos that instruct you on how to secure your magnet to a rope and I can say that using knots such as the ones shown above will result in weakening and eventual failure due to stress and friction at the knots.

OP
OP
N

Newdetector

Greenie
Feb 3, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are videos that instruct you on how to secure your magnet to a rope and I can say that using knots such as the ones shown above will result in weakening and eventual failure due to stress and friction at the knots.

Good to know, thanks! I will definitely be doing research on knots before I go ahead and tie anything

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The knot I used is from the video, it is called the Palomar knot and I have used it for years fishing. There are many tests/reviews on this knot online.

Youtube video:

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if you like to get a lot of scrap iron you will like magnet fishing.

Vinyo

Feb 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I reccmmend buying a 352lb neodymium magnet. I bought 1months ago from this site: Magnet Fishing I Fish relics from the water and I had pretty good catches with that. You could still get it off from the steel, but have better opportunities to find some good stuff because of its power.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I reccmmend buying a 352lb neodymium magnet. I bought 1months ago from this site: Magnet Fishing I Fish relics from the water and I had pretty good catches with that. You could still get it off from the steel, but have better opportunities to find some good stuff because of its power.

I recognized some of the videos and knew they were on the other side of the globe. Shipping to the US must be a killer. Also both those guys must be lawyers. Their Terms & Conditions is 2700 words long with lots of lawyer speak. They want you to follow all that BS just to buy a magnet? Nope just go to K&J Magnetics - Strong Neodymium Magnets, Rare Earth Magnets in good old Pipersville, PA.

Also, Vinyo looks like a hit and run poster. He joined t-net at 6:52 AM made his post at that time and ran. 10 days ago was also his last visit here. I bet he is from Hungary too.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread