cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and as usual someone already make it and it is in my local Ace Hdw.

I was walking down the isle today, stopped and did a double take and saw this. A magnet on a stick. I plan on walking down some of the smaller creeks (when the rains stop) and don't feel like holding onto a rope and trying to aim my magnet to certain spots in the water or along the bank. Most of the time my magnet thinks it is a pendulum. Only $20 and it has 150# pull. (21 at homedepot)(37.50 in Amazon)

P.S. vets get 10% discount at Ace and disabled Vets & retired vets get 10% at home depot

Attachments

• pACE3-5095625enh-z6.jpg
    pACE3-5095625enh-z6.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 188

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about attaching a magnet to a golf ball retriever? or maybe a paint roller extension.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty cool.. you can flip it over and use it as a walking stick when you hike out.. actually pretty neat; I haven't seen one before.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about attaching a magnet to a golf ball retriever? or maybe a paint roller extension.

That was my original idea. I just finished an 800 mile move to NoCA and I thought I put a very nice aluminum pole that already had a threaded end on it. I was going to attach my $10 Harbor Freight magnet to it. But somehow that pole disappeared or the movers didn't get it in my u-haul truck. So now I have to start all over. I just may get that. It is not a neodymium magnet but still pretty strong, all the magnets in the display are attracted to each other and it was a chore to just pull out one to check it out.

My only drawback is the handle is unpainted wood and we all know what water does to that. May have to give it a few coats of paint.

UPDATE: I went to ACE this afternoon. The handle is finished and sealed wood. The magnet end is a bit on the heavy side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A magnet on a stick. plus got 10% discount at Ace

I bought one today, didn't tell the wife yet. ;)
Got up to the register and while waiting in line noticed the head swiveled. thats not good so I went back and the next one was fine.

NCHomesteader

Greenie
Feb 26, 2017
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used that type on job sites doing final cleanups. It definitely saves your back. I'm not sure about that design in particular but the one I used was made to interchange the magnet in case it got broken, or possible upgrade to a rare-earth magnet? It was worth having for sure!

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used that type on job sites doing final cleanups. It definitely saves your back. I'm not sure about that design in particular but the one I used was made to interchange the magnet in case it got broken, or possible upgrade to a rare-earth magnet? It was worth having for sure!

Might be able to do that, I think the magnet is riveted on but that can be ground down.

reale bill

Feb 8, 2007
I made one using a 5/8" dowel and used the magnetic mount from an auto emergency light. no meteorites yet but it sure picks up it's share of iron pieces 20170304_120847.jpg

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i used a solid plastic fiberglass reinforced mop handle i had . one end has a magnet and the other end i put a frog gig tip just in case i encounter something that wants to bite !

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i used a solid plastic fiberglass reinforced mop handle i had . one end has a magnet and the other end i put a frog gig tip just in case i encounter something that wants to bite !

Yes, but that other end is also where a hand might go.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or beat snakes over the head if they give you any grief.
Hey Dan just make sure those snakes aren't as hard headed as I am!!! I was given one a few years back and proceeded to drop it. The magnet shattered in between the disks. Took me a few secs. to figure out where the little pieces were coming from. Give it a coat of the liquid electrical tape. Oh, grab a box of sandwich size ziplock bags! Slip the bag over it with the handle sticking out the corner of the zipper. Makes getting the magnetite off a breeze.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Funny, I just recently made a magnetic stick for myself. It triples as a spinning drill operated light material dropper and a grizzly bear eye gouger, as well as a walking stick. I posted it on the prospecting forum today, as matter of fact. Works great for checking out them hidden black sand pockets.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and proceeded to drop it. The magnet shattered in between the disks.
I got it mostly for the stick and the metal holding the magnet. If that ever happens to me I am pretty sure I can get a neodymium magnet that will bolt right in place.

Slip the bag over it with the handle sticking out the corner of the zipper. Makes getting the magnetite off a breeze.
As you can see from the 1st pic I have lots of black sand in my area of the world. Didn't need a metal detector or magnet on a stick to find that hunk of steel in the other pic. I found this junker twice. A week earlier it was about a quarter of a mile further south.

Attachments

• 20160314_144017.jpg
    20160314_144017.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 20161123_112856.jpg
    20161123_112856.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 156

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread