Back home after a good day at the docks

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a very successful day at the docks and headed home. It is time to do a little clean up. I use the braided nylon rope so it does not take on moisture it still holds a bit of water that needs to be hung out for a while to dry. Next comes the attention to the business end of the setup, the magnets. I used my back to back setup with the whiskers and even though I rinsed them off prior to leaving the hunting site I could see that there was still a lot of material stuck on and behind the magnets. Good shop grade paper towels worked well for the most part but that little fine magnetic dust just seems to want you to chase it all over the face of the magnets. Some one said use short strips of duc tape for this clean up. Well that worked but then I had adhesive residue from the tape to deal with. I then went to the wide blue masking tape and wow what a tool. The powder stuck to the tape and no residue. The magnets are back shining and the rope is dry. All wrapped up and in the bucket for the next trip. My great find for this trip was a $130 dive LED flash light like new. Hope this helps with your maintenance in the future.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little bit more on the clean up procedure. I still like the shop towels but I have added the use of those fiver pads and a plastic spoon. The fiver pads work wonderful on some of the tough spots but the plastic spoon can scrape off even the very tough things that resemble tar spots. Then I also found that my old air compressor and a blast of air with my push button nozzle took away about most of the time that I had been using during my previous method. Final with blue masking tape and again like new. A bit of liquid car wax applied as a protective coating and you are ready to go. Some use WD 40 also for this.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maintenance? what is that?

I just pick off the big things and hang all on a nail till I need again. It will just get mucky the next time so why bother. ;)

Mmm, I wonder how thing would be around the bathroom, mine does not have a nail???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions