Dock Magnet probing

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being very active in magnet fishing my old bean is always thinking of new ways of accomplishing the task in another way. I started off this new adventure in the pool cleaning area of Home Depot and found that they carry a selection of aluminum pool cleaning poles that are extendable. The sizes available range from 12 feet to 20 feet. Being that we have many docks that only have water is only 6 to 7 feet deep, I chose to buy the 12 foot extendable pole. I fashioned a T bracket on the end so I could mount two down facing 300 range cup magnets side by side. Now instead of the bobbing method with the rope and magnet I just probe and sweep the area that is in reach of the pole's length, With the rope method you have a marginal amount of control of the area covered but with the pole it is fairly accurate and works great. Younger stronger individuals may want to go with a longer pole, but the sweeping action in the deeper water is much more difficult but the probing still works well. The longer pole also becomes a problem when you bring up the find. The lite 12 ft pole can be taken strait up and is still very manageable. Yesterday in clear lake water I observed the bottom as I used this new tool and I determined that I was not missing much of the bottom area during my hunt. I then covered a like area with the rope and magnet setup and found the areas missed because of the lack of control was substantial. The first 4 to 5 foot of area from the docks edge is the prime area for targets. The 4 and 5 ft area becomes very difficult to cover with the rope method but the pole will get it all. I was able to effectively cover about an area that would take the rope method a long time in just a matter of minutes without missing a whole lot of places. Just a thought I wanted to pass on.

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update to this new method: Several trips out with one of my friends and we have both concluded that a pole probe is here to stay and we both about fight over who gets the first turn at the docks edge. The amount of finds has definitely improved and with the sweeping action we have also found that we snag a lot of fishing line that still has a pole hooked to it. one of the poles with reel pulled out of the water today did not seem to have a spot on it that the magnet would stick to but it was still recovered by a bit of luck while sweeping the prime dock area. I am in the process of building the 2nd unit so that we both can have the same tools. The new finds have value exceeding the expense of both units so we are not complaining, just enjoying.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you share a picture of the setup?

OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0805.jpg IMG_0806.jpg IMG_0807.jpg

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread