Identification

jettydog

Sep 7, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3051.JPG
I don't remember if I posted this before but any thoughts on what the spike might be.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Telephone pole step spike. Was used to clime poles years back.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Just got off the phone with the "expert" that gave me the PA spike. The spike did in fact come from a section of mid 1800's logging railroad. The tracks were still in place when he bought the property so he was the one that dismantled the track. He furthermore relayed that the spike he gifted to me was probably a cribbing spike (has something to do with connecting logs together). However, if a railroad spike was needed and none available, a cribbing spike was used. Also, these weren't train tracks per say, these tracks used carts with train track type wheels that were pulled by oxen.

OP
OP
jettydog

jettydog

Sep 7, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll post a better pic, there are no threads on the end.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Not any railroad spike I've ever seen
https://www.google.com/search?clien......1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.14.1468....0.vfPVz6EOIhg

Got Pics of the Whole thing ? & Measure it

i gotta say that"s a pretty cool compilation of rail road spikes Jeff. are any of those your handy work ? it makes me wonder a few years back i was wading a creek by an old rail road that existed in the mid 1800's and found some rail road spikes and plates but i could'nt tell by looking at them if they were older or newer ones. i did'nt have a camera with me at the time. if they were from the mid 1800's would there be any collector value ? would there be any date stamps on them ? the plates were heavy as heck. must of been 20lbs each. if i think of it next year and i'm still alive maybe i'll snap a pic or 2 and post them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't look real close but no I don't think any of mine
popped up with that search term

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
I didn't look real close but no I don't think any of mine
popped up with that search term

were you wearin your glasses ? somebody here recently said you wear diapers ? is that true ? boy that must have been embarrassing ! that must be a hassle havin to go along metal detectin and keep adjustin your diaper. I can relate I have to keep pullin my pants up. I use a waitress apron and keep my pinpointer in there and a screwdriver and my finds and all the scrap i find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions