Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    324 times

Angry 3 INCH ROUND MAGNET

i went to harbor freight saturday to see what they had for magnets. they had a 3 inch round neodymium magnet for $2.99 with coupon and membership card. 95 lb pull. i never heard of this membership before ? i'm thinking this will be a good magnet to start out with. then i find out that the membership is 45 smackers a year. wheres the savings ? i only need things here and there. so i walked out without my magnet and the search continues ? why does'nt walmart have chinese magnets ? they have basically everything else ?

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden Max, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3215 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    What was the list price?
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterscoop View Post
    What was the list price?
    i think it was 6 bucks

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden Max, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3215 times
    Still a great price without tha discount. Be very careful with it around your el chronically it will fry your phone for sure, do t even think of trying to see if I’m right...lol
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Nov 2012
    668 times
    Last edited by bowwinkles; Dec 27, 2017 at 06:36 PM.

May 2017
    Canada
    Tesoro Tejon
    516 times
    Hi N-11, I purchased a NDM 500 lb lift $60 Canadian I lost that one it grabbed something "flat on!!" and eventually the rope broke so not to be deterred I bought another and this time I applied a rope with more lifting power than the Magnet. Only just got into this hobby so am feeling very ambitious for spring.....HH....Bonz

Nov 2012
    668 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzododa71 View Post
    Hi N-11, I purchased a NDM 500 lb lift $60 Canadian I lost that one it grabbed something "flat on!!" and eventually the rope broke so not to be deterred I bought another and this time I applied a rope with more lifting power than the Magnet. Only just got into this hobby so am feeling very ambitious for spring.....HH....Bonz
    For those high cap magnets, you need a tall rope loop to insure that when that happens and you pull from the side the magnet will tip off what ever it is stuck to. I got mine stuck on a bit of metal frame on a dock and my long handled shovel was all that saved it for me. Pulling from different directions if possible is also very helpful.

May 2017
    Canada
    Tesoro Tejon
    516 times
    Hi BW, at the time side pulls were tried, it was in 8 feet of water and must have stuck to a piece of the steel bridge that was there, the rope was only at 300lb strength so the math didn't equate and that was that, now have a 600lb rope and waiting for spring.....HH....Bonz

us
    Oct 2017
    NW Washington
    Underwater Magnetic Retrieval
    7 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad 11 View Post
    i went to harbor freight saturday to see what they had for magnets. they had a 3 inch round neodymium magnet for $2.99 with coupon and membership card. 95 lb pull. i never heard of this membership before ? i'm thinking this will be a good magnet to start out with. then i find out that the membership is 45 smackers a year. wheres the savings ? i only need things here and there. so i walked out without my magnet and the search continues ? why does'nt walmart have chinese magnets ? they have basically everything else ?
    Yeah - I'm sure Walmart will get in the business soon enough. One thing to be careful about is the pull force of magnet vs. it's surface area. 95lb pull force on a 3 inch round is not very much. If you only really care about small stuff, nuts, bolts fishing tackle etc then this type of magnet is totally fine. As you get more surface area though the magnet needs a much larger surface to stick to in order to fully utilize the 95lb pull force. For a 3 inch magnet I would assume at least 300lb of pull force would be ideal. The wider the magnet the more angle that is created when you pull up. You pull in one direction, if the magnet has a large surface area it cocks to the side and will tend to slide off the item, these magnets work best if pulled perpendicular to the strength of the magnetic field otherwise you depend too much on friction. It's easier to slide a magnet on your refrigerator than pull it straight off. Plus the 3 incher just doesn't fit in your pocket well.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links