3 INCH ROUND MAGNET

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i went to harbor freight saturday to see what they had for magnets. they had a 3 inch round neodymium magnet for $2.99 with coupon and membership card. 95 lb pull. i never heard of this membership before ? i'm thinking this will be a good magnet to start out with. then i find out that the membership is 45 smackers a year. wheres the savings ? i only need things here and there. so i walked out without my magnet and the search continues ? why does'nt walmart have chinese magnets ? they have basically everything else ?:icon_scratch:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the list price?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a great price without tha discount. Be very careful with it around your el chronically it will fry your phone for sure, do t even think of trying to see if I’m right...lol

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi N-11, I purchased a NDM 500 lb lift $60 Canadian I lost that one it grabbed something "flat on!!" and eventually the rope broke so not to be deterred I bought another and this time I applied a rope with more lifting power than the Magnet. Only just got into this hobby so am feeling very ambitious for spring.....HH....Bonz

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi N-11, I purchased a NDM 500 lb lift $60 Canadian I lost that one it grabbed something "flat on!!" and eventually the rope broke so not to be deterred I bought another and this time I applied a rope with more lifting power than the Magnet. Only just got into this hobby so am feeling very ambitious for spring.....HH....Bonz

For those high cap magnets, you need a tall rope loop to insure that when that happens and you pull from the side the magnet will tip off what ever it is stuck to. I got mine stuck on a bit of metal frame on a dock and my long handled shovel was all that saved it for me. Pulling from different directions if possible is also very helpful.

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BW, at the time side pulls were tried, it was in 8 feet of water and must have stuck to a piece of the steel bridge that was there, the rope was only at 300lb strength so the math didn't equate and that was that, now have a 600lb rope and waiting for spring.....HH....Bonz

Chemhead

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2017
NW Washington
Detector(s) used
Underwater Magnetic Retrieval
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i went to harbor freight saturday to see what they had for magnets. they had a 3 inch round neodymium magnet for $2.99 with coupon and membership card. 95 lb pull. i never heard of this membership before ? i'm thinking this will be a good magnet to start out with. then i find out that the membership is 45 smackers a year. wheres the savings ? i only need things here and there. so i walked out without my magnet and the search continues ? why does'nt walmart have chinese magnets ? they have basically everything else ?:icon_scratch:

Yeah - I'm sure Walmart will get in the business soon enough. One thing to be careful about is the pull force of magnet vs. it's surface area. 95lb pull force on a 3 inch round is not very much. If you only really care about small stuff, nuts, bolts fishing tackle etc then this type of magnet is totally fine. As you get more surface area though the magnet needs a much larger surface to stick to in order to fully utilize the 95lb pull force. For a 3 inch magnet I would assume at least 300lb of pull force would be ideal. The wider the magnet the more angle that is created when you pull up. You pull in one direction, if the magnet has a large surface area it cocks to the side and will tend to slide off the item, these magnets work best if pulled perpendicular to the strength of the magnetic field otherwise you depend too much on friction. It's easier to slide a magnet on your refrigerator than pull it straight off. Plus the 3 incher just doesn't fit in your pocket well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions