Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT MAX International
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone. I've just taken up Magnet Fishing, usually I Metal Detect. Been reading through the posts here and other places, I ended up going for the 255lb Magnet and 550lb Nylon Rope. Fairly happy with the results so far and it has been quite a lot of fun actually. I've attached a GoPro Session to the line, approx 10 ft up from the Magnet the first couple of times and now have it roughly 5ft up and considering adding a second back up at 10ft for field of view. It's pretty cool getting to see the wild life and looking for objects of interest to cast out for the next time out.

Would love to know what the community thinks as I could not really find anyone else doing this.

Cheers (:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen several attempts to capture the magnet underwater and for the most part it was spotty. The best was a fellow who built a double magnet side by side that had a float above it so that it always landed magnet down and then he had a third short arm that held his go pro just ahead of the magnet. Problem being that the magnet stirs up the silt and visibility is then hurt.

OP
OP
GaffleBab

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you very much for the feedback bowwinkles! The weather appears to play a huge role in how clear it is underwater as well. This time out was the best so far!

OP
OP
GaffleBab

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like it wouldn't be worth it in those conditions eh. What I can tell you is that the GoPro I have is rated for up to 33ft if memory serves and off this dock is 27ft and I'm sure it goes a bit deeper as I cast out so don't be too scared of tossing her in there. What I can tell you though, if you really toss it out like I do you may experience Mic issues in the future, the force of the GoPro slapping the water so many times I think has thrown off the Mic on mine(it does still work) but considering that kind of abuse it sure is a solid product! Cheers (:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread