Got a gas canister thing?

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I got this thing that I assume is a gas canister, but I decided not to bring it back home with me.

Magnet Fish.PNG

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet tank. Did you bring it up? Looks like was a tank for a welding kit....wonder if the rest of the welding stuff is down there......BTW Welcome from Claremore, Oklahoma. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, like Kingskid sez, it's either an argon tank for welding or an oxygen or acetylene tank for a torch set...cool find tho. While I see the safety cap is intact, I would still be wary as it cold be under intense pressure, and who know how long it's been down there and what the water has done to it. Those things are NOT light! You must have the monster of magnets...neat find, worth a few bucks too. Ddf

OP
OP
T

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I had to take the video down, I forgot several clips to put in there....I will re upload at some point. Just mainly wanted you to see the tank

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
yea thats an acetylene tank i think black is gas and a green one would be oxygen. if it was sunk its most likely full or close to it. its worth some money.if you haul it you just have to be careful not to knock off the top or that thing will take off like apollo 13. you retreived it. take it and sell it. see if you can find the oxygen tank that goes with it. i'm guessing the whole shebang is down there. the guages and torch are brass so maybe you can try a grappling hook and snag those too. good luck !

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is worth money.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
yea thats an acetylene tank i think black is gas and a green one would be oxygen. if it was sunk its most likely full or close to it. its worth some money.if you haul it you just have to be careful not to knock off the top or that thing will take off like apollo 13. you retreived it. take it and sell it. see if you can find the oxygen tank that goes with it. i'm guessing the whole shebang is down there. the guages and torch are brass so maybe you can try a grappling hook and snag those too. good luck !

Not like any acetylene tank I have seen. There is usually a high collar around the top of them instead of a cap like shown.

OP
OP
T

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I managed to pull the thing all the way to the surface, its about 4 feet long and 2+ feet around. Its very heavy and required all my strength just to get it above the water. I will be going back and trying to get it to shore

OP
OP
T

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I got another image of the entire tank, thing was huge..I used a wide angle lens so it actually makes it look smaller than it was...it was like 4 feet long

gas tank.PNG

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not like any acetylene tank I have seen. There is usually a high collar around the top of them instead of a cap like shown.

I think I know of the kind that your talking about. I have seen the type like in the pic too, actually more of them than the high collar tanks. other than markings they all looked the same. Valve differences too. So the regulators couldn't get mixed up.

OP....Ya, your probably right about leaving it. I've been around that stuff and probably wouldn't have messed with it. :laughing7: They are really thick though. It would take a realllllllyy long time to rot through. But like mentioned above, if you happen to knock the valve off(under the cap), and it's under pressure? It could turn into a missile. :laughing7:

cool find! You must have one crazy strong magnet! Those arent light!!

Don't do this! :laughing7: Fast forward towards the end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I got the video of me finding it here

You can actually see some gas or something leak out at one point and float to the top of the water in the area of the tank

OP
OP
T

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry did not know. Hope you enjoyed the vid..its hard to find other people who are into magnet fishing

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I doubt that has much value above scrap in it's condition. My Co. once had a guy slide an O2 bottle off the tailgate of a truck. On the way down, something scratched the SIDE of the bottle enough to set it off. Went across 100' of shop, through an 8" block wall, across another 100' of shop, through another 8" block wall and ended up 1/4 mile away. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not feel safe bringing it home with me, I did not wanna sound like a wimp on video but when I hooked it I first thought it was a bomb or something lol..but it sounds dangerous. I wonder how that thing is still full of gas after all these years, what would happen if it went off underwater

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not feel safe bringing it home with me, I did not wanna sound like a wimp on video but when I hooked it I first thought it was a bomb or something lol..but it sounds dangerous. I wonder how that thing is still full of gas after all these years, what would happen if it went off underwater

if the top was knocked off underwater it would be a torpedo........

OP
OP
T

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
its a miracle it has not yet happened...and even crazier it did not happen while I was pulling it around. I actually felt the tank below my feet after I unhooked my magnet to let it go, it hit the roots of the tree beneath me and it shook the ground I was standing on

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen them riding in the back of trucks. They have to be respected but they are not that easily broken. I still would have pulled it up and took it home......but I also don't like to leave my finds behind.....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread