Opinuions on this magnet

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pick up weight of 50kg is aprox 150 lbs which is on the weak side for most who enjoy this hobby. Many at least try to get into the 250 lb range.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pick up weight of 50kg is aprox 150 lbs which is on the weak side for most who enjoy this hobby. Many at least try to get into the 250 lb range.

Actually, 50kg is only 110 lbs....not 150, so even weaker.

1kg = 2.2 lbs.

OP
OP
N

noowbie

Greenie
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for your expert opinions! Just thought the price was amazing, but if it won't do the job, it's not worth anything.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, 50kg is only 110 lbs....not 150, so even weaker.

1kg = 2.2 lbs.

You are exactly correct, I was going on what a local gu ru told me and he said X3 was the proper formula. Ill be back on the books now. :)

zsandru

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2018
montana
Detector(s) used
gold bug and ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have many i use depends on where im tossing i use a 500 pounder for my go to unless i hit something heaving or stuck in the mud then the 800 comes out :)

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am VERY new to this type of thing, when you fella's talk of 150lb, 500lb, or even 800lb, are we talking a "pick up" limit? meaning I don't think I could drag in something 100lb's plus. I'm so new to THIS, that I'm sure I'm asking a somewhat stupid? question. I am sure that I must be, however, does it mean that not only could I not pull it in, but would I lose the rig as well?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your magnet is clean and the area where it is sticking is flat and clean then the rating is an indicator of what it could pick up. In the water the water provides a degree of flotation to the metal being lifted so you may be able to pick up items that is actually heavier than the rating until you reach the waters surface and then you will have to assist your magnet to get the item on up out of the water if it is heavier than the rating. There are some items under water that are very heavy and large and also have that flat surface. In this case a high pound rated magnet may get stuck on to it and many folks do not have the physical strength to break it free which I have seen a number of videos where the rope is then cut and a very unhappy magnet angler heads home with an empty holster. My biggest catch was a full sized craftsman lawn mower with a 240 lb magnet all the way to the top and then on to the dock.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK then, thank you for the reply bowwinkle, that pretty much sums it up, I've detected for 30yrs, but never "magnet" fished. Seems like another one of those "you never know" hobbies. I'll start on the smaller size, just to see if it's for me, and learn as I go.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK then, thank you for the reply bowwinkle, that pretty much sums it up, I've detected for 30yrs, but never "magnet" fished. Seems like another one of those "you never know" hobbies. I'll start on the smaller size, just to see if it's for me, and learn as I go.

The Rouge is pretty tame there and you do have some docks around 6th and 7th st. Find other places where boats are launched and that also is a good area to try. I am from the beaver st but eastern.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was an Industrial sales rep for 38 years and we sold Heavy duty magnets to coal mines for heavy trucks.The most popular ones we're the size you showed. They had a 1/4-20 hole in the middle for a 1/2" loom clip to attach. They used them anywhere on the heavy trucks to temporarily run add on lights or small hydro lines or for whatever reason. The 11/2" dia.were ample for hold. It took a large screwdriver to pry them off. High pressure water hose 3" in dia. Wouldn't tear them off. I have 5 in my shop using them to hang water hoses and various heavy things. I have even made a magnet fishing rope but haven't used it yet.I put a 3" X 1/4-20 solid eye bolt on it. In My best guess this would work in most cases for relic fishing. Industrial distributors sell these such as Granger or other suppliers. Prices are on the salty side. We sold them in the 11/2 dia. Size for around $23 bucks.Sizes like 2" to 4" are also available but the larger sizes might get hung up easier. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was an Industrial sales rep for 38 years and we sold Heavy duty magnets to coal mines for heavy trucks.The most popular ones we're the size you showed. They had a 1/4-20 hole in the middle for a 1/2" loom clip to attach. They used them anywhere on the heavy trucks to temporarily run add on lights or small hydro lines or for whatever reason. The 11/2" dia.were ample for hold. It took a large screwdriver to pry them off. High pressure water hose 3" in dia. Wouldn't tear them off. I have 5 in my shop using them to hang water hoses and various heavy things. I have even made a magnet fishing rope but haven't used it yet.I put a 3" X 1/4-20 solid eye bolt on it. In My best guess this would work in most cases for relic fishing. Industrial distributors sell these such as Granger or other suppliers. Prices are on the salty side. We sold them in the 11/2 dia. Size for around $23 bucks.Sizes like 2" to 4" are also available but the larger sizes might get hung up easier. Just my opinion.

Looks like you are ready for a trip. The hardware on the magnet like the eye bold and screw needs thread lock to prevent it coming loose. The rope needs to be in the 300-400 rating, I use poly because it will dry out and not hold the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread