EBAY MAGNETS

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i was on ebay today looking at magnets and i was wondering. i know these magnets are brittle but how brittle ? what i was wanting to know i see some of the round magnets have the bolt go all the way through and screw in from the bottom. i think if magnets are brittle if you chuck it out and it hits a rock if it possibly cracks the magnet could you loose the magnet itself ? on the other hand i see some magnets the bolt just screws in from the top of the housing (doesnt go all the way) through but then what then holds the magnet in the housing and could it ever shake loose out of there or be shocked out of there ? thanks-

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
MAGNET

ok so i contacted one of the manufactures and they say they use black epoxy to glue the magnet to the inner housing of the magnet rig. but what i want toooo know is eventually the epoxy will dry out and crack and erode.right ? so i want to know is ? has anybody ever chucked their rig out and had a hook up and pulled their rig back in without the magnet inside the housing ? that would be a real bummer !

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was on ebay today looking at magnets and i was wondering. i know these magnets are brittle but how brittle ? what i was wanting to know i see some of the round magnets have the bolt go all the way through and screw in from the bottom. i think if magnets are brittle if you chuck it out and it hits a rock if it possibly cracks the magnet could you loose the magnet itself ? on the other hand i see some magnets the bolt just screws in from the top of the housing (doesnt go all the way) through but then what then holds the magnet in the housing and could it ever shake loose out of there or be shocked out of there ? thanks-

The neodymium magnets that are metal on the bottom and have the countersunk hole for a screw/bolt are not prone to breakage. The cup magnets that have the black circular magnet inside the cup and there is no metal over them will break and are also prone to having the glue that holds the magnet in the cup come loose. did that answer your question?

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
The neodymium magnets that are metal on the bottom and have the countersunk hole for a screw/bolt are not prone to breakage. The cup magnets that have the black circular magnet inside the cup and there is no metal over them will break and are also prone to having the glue that holds the magnet in the cup come loose. did that answer your question?

nope !

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
no ! look at the link you posted. where do you see black magnets ? these magnets are'nt black ! they are polished are they not ? what black magnets are you referring to ? these are simple questions i ask ?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no ! look at the link you posted. where do you see black magnets ? these magnets are'nt black ! they are polished are they not ? what black magnets are you referring to ? these are simple questions i ask ?

You are correct that is a much to technical issue for me to answer. Sorry for the confusion.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nomad, there is different type of magnets.Some better than others. Odds are you will need to get wet a few times as things snag, even the best of the best. I have a few magnets, and would say those solid metal bullet magnets would be best. I have a few inexpensive harbor freight magnets and very happy with them. One has a eyes crew you put in that would work if your on a bridge. But would not shore cast with it. A smaller round magnet would be better from the bank if your not ready for a more expensive magnet. I started out with a small rare earth magnet out of a used hard drive I attached to the end of a golf club with head removed.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nomad, there is different type of magnets.Some better than others. Odds are you will need to get wet a few times as things snag, even the best of the best. I have a few magnets, and would say those solid metal bullet magnets would be best. I have a few inexpensive harbor freight magnets and very happy with them. One has a eyes crew you put in that would work if your on a bridge. But would not shore cast with it. A smaller round magnet would be better from the bank if your not ready for a more expensive magnet. I started out with a small rare earth magnet out of a used hard drive I attached to the end of a golf club with head removed.

If maybe he would google the black glued in ceramic cup magnets and see the color and how it is glued into the cup and maybe then will be able to absorb whats being said. or just look up ceramic magnets.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=breaking-magnets

Last edited:
OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
If maybe he would google the black glued in ceramic cup magnets and see the color and how it is glued into the cup and maybe then will be able to absorb whats being said. or just look up ceramic magnets.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=breaking-magnets

i cant absorb anything ? i have Seroquel on the brain. that was the worst one !no need to be so critical. a little understanding would be nice though ! UH-HUH8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread