Curious but I really don't grok it at all???

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals... I'm interested in the magnetic fishing but I really don't get the allure of it. Could some of you share with me whatever rush it is that you get from magnet fishing or is it something you simply have to experience to really get the feel for while you're out.

Is it something like detecting when you're sweeping and hoping to hear that bright brash tone? That I get... but simply chucking a magnet in the water.... um... not so much so far. The videos are fun to watch but a good deal of them seem to kvetch about the weather more than talk about the hobby.

thanks.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that gold is not attracted to the magnet but the surprize when you do bring up a prize is like that feeling when you dig a plug and see that glint of silver.

OP
OP
M

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it's the joy of seeing something interesting after wading through all the dross that would collect on your magnet... I can see that I guess.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't spend much time wading, I like working the docks and fishing piers.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is normally enough things being found to keep from loosing interest. I did however hit one dock that evidently just been magnet fished and like you said, the interest was at a minimum. I just moved on and hit a small little dock and it was a jackpot.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My interest in magnet fishing started when a former friend committed a serious crime and, supposedly, threw the gun he used into a local lake.

It helps to have a good sense of curiosity and adventure. Sure, you may throw a magnet in the water and come up with nothing or some insignificant trinket. The allure for me is the story that plays out in my imagination when something clicks and sticks.

Most of the junk I find in the water is just that ... junk. But, its fun to wonder what Ihave on the line whenever you start retrieving the magnet.

I keep my magnet on my kayak and drop it overboard whenever I paddle under a bridge. I've found a few hard drives and half a ton of fishing gear (including a couple of fishing outfits).

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's simple to explain. it's just like Christmas. You're either going to get a shiny new bike and a cool video game or just socks & underwear... But it was sure fun trying to guess what was in those boxes under the tree!

The feeling you get when after dragging a bar with 3 grapnels off the pier & spend an hour cutting jigs out of balls of monofilament hoping, when the guy at the fishing store tells you "I'll give you $50 for this one." And you thought it was a 20 cent Zebco special.........

Nomadnailer

Apr 6, 2011
Montrose, WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i with dx-1 sunray probe, Whites xlt, Tesoro lobo st,
Gold doesn't stick to a magnet but the iron box it was stored in does

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just buy a magnet, tie it to a small rope a go do it. This ain't rocket science.:laughing7:

Justin1978

Jul 11, 2018
Proctor, AR
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter gold digger.... HEY!!!! it was all i could afford
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive pulled up an old shotgun, that was fun.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
There is normally enough things being found to keep from loosing interest. I did however hit one dock that evidently just been magnet fished and like you said, the interest was at a minimum. I just moved on and hit a small little dock and it was a jackpot.
maybe we should leave signs when we leave. like bowwinkles was here allready and date it. then you know not to waste our time. heh ?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe we should leave signs when we leave. like bowwinkles was here allready and date it. then you know not to waste our time. heh ?

If our magnets were named "Garrett", "Whites", "Minelab" etc. like our detectors are marked then we could play the same game about missed targets and then visits to a dock would not be a sign that all was cleaned out. :icon_thumleft:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
If our magnets were named "Garrett", "Whites", "Minelab" etc. like our detectors are marked then we could play the same game about missed targets and then visits to a dock would not be a sign that all was cleaned out. :icon_thumleft:

and Homer would say "DOH"

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used

so what is your magnet's name ?

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
i'm gonna call mine Bowser. and when I pitch it out, i'm gonna call out ,fetch Bowser !

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
After a couple years of thought I just call it "Wife" because it seems to stick to most anything of value it gets close to. :tongue3:

well I hope your wife doesn't see this post and is offended by it. its a good thing you didn't call it gold digger. she might really be pissed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread