Question for all you Magnet Fishing Veterans...

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT MAX International
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, so I'm out yesterday at a spot I've never tried before. It's not super deep so you can mostly see to the bottom. The one spot where I cannot see the bottom I was catching onto to something but anytime I pulled I would become disconnected. After a few tries I figured it must have been one of the support chains for the dock itself or something to that effect. When I got home and was inspecting the GoPro footage I could see that it was actually on a Shopping Cart!

My question to everyone here is, do you think that a 255lb Pull Magnet is strong enough to pull in a Shopper Cart, also keeping in mind the design of the Cart and how making a solid connection may not be as easy. I probably attached to it 4 or 5 times before I moved on. I won't be in this town for much longer and the Metal Detecting here is really good but I would love to be able to pull that out...but is it possible....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
maybe make a grappling hook of some kind .
good luck brad

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have something tangled on it so it doesn't come up. may have to go down and grab it by hand.....

OP
OP
GaffleBab

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maybe make a grappling hook of some kind .
good luck brad

That is a great idea! I just do not have the time to get around to sourcing one, gonna try the Magnet tomorrow morning before I leave here. If I cannot get it and it's still there next year I'll be sure to try that! Thanks :notworthy:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great idea! I just do not have the time to get around to sourcing one, gonna try the Magnet tomorrow morning before I leave here. If I cannot get it and it's still there next year I'll be sure to try that! Thanks :notworthy:
Are you close to any fishing tackle stores? The shops close to the ocean always seem to have them. They already have lead cast on the shanks. Hint - If you get one of these file or grind the barbs off so it's like a gaff! You can grab some rebar, bend it up in a vice & weld up one or get it welded. You might have a rough time if it's in mud. The crews around here pull them out with the winch on their trucks. They sink in the mud & it kind of makes a suction. Have you looked at the shops where the halibut fishermen get their gear up there? Bet if they don't have them they can order for you. If you can see the bottom, have you thought about attaching a hook to the end of a pipe or a pole for cleaning pools?

Justin1978

Jul 11, 2018
Proctor, AR
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter gold digger.... HEY!!!! it was all i could afford
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 250lb magnet, I can't pick up a cart either, there just isn't enough metal to magnet connection.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 250lb magnet, I can't pick up a cart either, there just isn't enough metal to magnet connection.
Grapnel, think grapnel! doesn't matter if it's magnetic or not. Tons of holes? Doesn't matter, actually the more the holes the better.

Hint if you get a hook, weld a ring of some sort at the base & attach a second rope to it. Allows you to pull the hook back out if it gets stuck in something like wood. Believe me, it'll save you buying another hook.

OP
OP
GaffleBab

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank You for all of the insight and suggestions everyone!! I only had enough time to swing back down there for another quick try with the Magnet. Magnet was not powerful enough but I managed to get it tangled a couple of times. Pulling that thing up was super tough! I think I got about 3-4 feet up the one time before I lost my connection and I'm glad that I did! It was rough seas and I could feel the cart was moving further under the dock as I was pulling it up, that would have made it super difficult for 1 person to pull it out and over from under the dock itself. There were people down there and it was even making them uncomfortable watching me struggle to pull it up as much as I managed to :p

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so much of a problem to get the cart, but what are you going to do with it??
Ohhhhhh!! I think he can come up with something!:laughing7: When we were young, we used to hunt a dock where the older kids would swipe bikes & ghost ride them into the bay. We found 15 that had been in the water for years. Called the cops & the one cop everyone hated shows up. (Now's our chance for payback!!!) He tells us to just go over & throw them in the dumpster. NO!! We want a report & a property receipt so we can have them as found property after 90 days! He loads them all in the car getting that black oozy mud all over everything including his uniform. They had to keep this smelly pile of gunk in the property room for 90 days.:laughing7::tongue3: When they called to tell us no one claimed them & we could come get them, We told them........... wait for it........... We didn't want them!?!? We just didn't want to get busted for stealing them!:laughing7::laughing7: Like I always say "You just gotta have fun with it!

Look around TNet & the web. Some pretty clever guys have made beach carts (sifters) & other stuff from them. And as always, if you have room they're always have scrap metal value.

OP
OP
GaffleBab

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it was a Save On Foods Cart. If successful I would have called to let them know I had it and that they could come and claim it; I heard they pay a couple hundred or so per cart when they buy them new. It doesn't look in usable condition but they could scrap it or whatever.

OP
OP
GaffleBab

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@boogeyman I enjoyed your story :p

OP
OP
GaffleBab

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a beautiful sunny day with no clouds and super calms waters; best conditions for underwater footage Magnet Fishing (at this time I was unaware it was a Cart).

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
I cant take all this suspense BoB ! here's an idea maybe get in a boat straight over it. then it wouldn't require so much leverage to break it loose. and we can end this mystery. keep us posted. K

OP
OP
GaffleBab

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cant take all this suspense BoB ! here's an idea maybe get in a boat straight over it. then it wouldn't require so much leverage to break it loose. and we can end this mystery. keep us posted. K

I don't live there so time was limited :p I'm sure with a 500lb Magnet it would be possible...

OP
OP
GaffleBab

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about the suspense, the time it takes to get these edited...So this is the day I went back(before I left town)now knowing it was a Shopping Cart...I tried for over an hour but I edited it down to the best I did for brevity. Also note, best watched on a screen bigger than a Cellphone :icon_thumright:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
I still like the boat idea better. theres probably someone close by there that has boat laying in their yard, you could go by there and borrow it. pull up the shopping cart and this will be over. mystery over. but you want to do the 500 # magnet ? ok. so now we have to wait for you to go back ? is this going to happen before winter BoB ? I cant take the suspense.

OP
OP
GaffleBab

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still like the boat idea better. theres probably someone close by there that has boat laying in their yard, you could go by there and borrow it. pull up the shopping cart and this will be over. mystery over. but you want to do the 500 # magnet ? ok. so now we have to wait for you to go back ? is this going to happen before winter BoB ? I cant take the suspense.

Sorry I only travel to this town once a year. If I get a 500lb Pull I may try again next year or acquire a hook or perhaps try to get on a boat :p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread